• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    check your department's policy or general orders. I know one local dept where .30cal is an approved caliber and one where it is not.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Might be appropriate for highway patrol. Not sure city fathers would like a 600yd + cartridge
    fired in their town limits.(any town) I'd like to see high impact hardened tungsten shotgun slug
    for barrier penetration.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    You should be able to find a 16" barreled carbine in that caliber with about the same amount of effort that it takes to find one in .223, if you go to an 18" barrel that's a little more common amongst .308 Bolt action rifles, then depending upon the mounts in your car, it may or may not be too big, similar to finding one that's compatible with a quad rail vs traditional handguards; both cases it should fit in the trunk just fine, really is going to depend on the outfitting of the patrol vehicle to determine if it is too big or not.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I carry a Rock River AR. This is what I was issued and it is a good gun. I would like to take the consideration of an M14/M1A. I feel that, in my situation of a large county Sheriff Dept, it would be a good choice. I have not trained with a 7.62, so that opinion could change. So, my opinion is based just on the surface and not on experience yet.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I would LOVE to have an M14 as a patrol rifle. There is nothing wrong with the 7.62 round in an urban environment with proper tactical ammunition. I have shot an M14 full auto, while full auto has zero practical use for an LEO...IT WAS FUN!!!. Semi-only and it is a great rifle. Hell, one would think the populace would like them better than those evil black rifles...they look more like grandpa's Garand.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Denny347; said:
    Hell, one would think the populace would like them better than those evil black rifles...they look more like grandpa's Garand.

unless its phylodogs rifle. that one would look like something from robocop.

MasterAtArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    depends entirely on locale. As was said, more rural or even suburb areas maybe. In a city it couldnt hurt but Id prefer lower weight quicker shots

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    If he's talking 7.62x39, then IMHO a Ruger Mini 30 with the now-available factory 20 rd. mags might be just the ticket. I've grown pretty fond of my old stainless 189-series Mini. It's pretty lighweight, handles very nicely and has been dead-nuts reliable functionally.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Theres nothing wrong with a 7.62/308 in an urban environment. If youre gonna be taking a shot at anything, be sure of your target, backstop, etc. I, like other people dont want rifles going off at random around my town. However, a wild shot from a .556 is just as undesirable to me as one from a .338 Lapua or something similar. I think you should consider your job, then consider the tool. If youre using it for increased range and lethality, the true job of a rifle, then why not a 308? If its gonna be in a patrol car, I think that means youre not gonna be storming some kind of building with a bunch of tac guys. In other words, your tactics will be more about accurate and hard hitting shots than suppressive fire because youll be alone. Thats why I switched to a FAL for my go to defender. If youre looking to make your accurate shots count, go with a rifle that offers decent accuracy and is almost sure to resolve the situation on the first shot.

Top Bottom