• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Ok, I've never been to a pawn shop, ever. But I wondered, what would you guys be willing to buy from a pawn shop? I'm thinking it'd be safe to purchase tools, music instruments, dishes - stuff like that. What would you think about buying jewelry, ATV, a generator or anything with a motor for that matter? How do you know you're really getting the quality they're telling you? I can't tell 14k from copper, a diamond from glass. I guess I'm not that trusting, but if there's a deal there, is it worth the risk?

Anyone with experience buying from a pawn shop, please weight in.

Mike

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's really no different than buying any other used item, be sure you know what you are purchasing.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Are the items they have factually represented? I mean when I go to a store, I know what the box says is what's inside. What items do you feel are potential good buys at a pawn shop?

Mike

Last edited:

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    Buy anything you want. Most are legit. Shop around the same as you would for anything else. Know the product you are buying. Don't buy a bunch of crap on a whim, ever.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Pawn shops use to have some pretty good deals. Nowadays,not so much. The one on Pendleton Pike has a no guns sign so I quit going in.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Different pawn shops here have more of some things and less of other thing. I have purchased a $10 digital camera that was very nice (they actually had a box of them and trying to get rid of them). Sometimes a favorite DVD is found or a used tool. I got a good bargain on a lithium powered Dremel tool. I probably paid a little too much on an electric chain saw but when I need it, I have one.
    I look at it like an ongoing yard sale or a "box of chocolates" you never know what you're going to get. I believe they tend to need to move stuff closer to the weekend or so I've been told. Have fun, dicker as needed, don't buy want you don't need or know the value.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm not comfortable buying jewelry of any kind, anywhere, I just don't know enough about it to know if I'm getting my moneys worth or not. I'd feel comfortable buying guitars, guns, most types of tools, and some older 35mm camera equipment, because I know those things pretty well. I have a nice fender acoustic guitar I bought in a pawn shop 25 years ago, I knew what it was worth, the pawn guy knew I knew what it was worth, and sold it to me for a very fair price, which was below what he had it priced at.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love pawn shops.

I have gotten some amazing deals on tools at pawn shops. I don't know who pays $100 for a Snap-On ratchet and then lets a pawnbroker give him ten bucks for it...but God bless you sir!

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    18 yrs ago i got a 9.6v makita battery powered drill looked like it it was used 2 or 3 times for less than 50% price of new. just have to know what the price of new is and what u are willing to pay. 2 yrs ago i got my wife a kindle because her screen broke the cost of the screen was the cost to buy it new. so i got her a newer version for christmas and when she went to sign in to download books it would not let her after some time with amazon they said it was stolen she printed the email off and took it to the pawn shop and returned it and got a better one than the one i got for the same money. its not stolen. ive got several things there, just know what its worth used and new.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Most items are priced at retail prices or close. Don't be afraid to ask them to take a lower price.
    the longer it's been on the shelf, the less they'll take.
    If they have multiples of the same item, you can usually make a deal.
    dont pay more than it's worth, there is always another one around the corner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I love pawn shops.

I have gotten some amazing deals on tools at pawn shops. I don't know who pays $100 for a Snap-On ratchet and then lets a pawnbroker give him ten bucks for it...but God bless you sir!

Me to. But only 1. I know everyone that works there and they know me. I get calls when they have guns they know I will get excited about.
    Beyond that.....no interest.

Well, the tool thing is pretty sweet......:)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Me to. But only 1. I know everyone that works there and they know me. I get calls when they have guns they know I will get excited about.
    Beyond that.....no interest.

Well, the tool thing is pretty sweet......:)
    Not too many still sell guns, at least not the south side stores.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not too many still sell guns, at least not the south side stores.

There's one on west 10th that still does. That place is old school. My wife found a nice diamond ring there. I bought a rather rare bass guitar from that place at a steal.

Lock the truck behind you.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I used to work at a pawn shop. Indeed- it is amazing the stories you hear, and the reasons why people do what they do. The pawn broker I worked for required me to be trained in testing jewlery, via an acid test and with magnets. Also during slow times I was required to research items and learn as much as I could about name brands, look alikes, fakes,ect.,. I cant tell you how many guitars I saw that were fakes. Especially the higher end Fender and Gibson electric guitars. Everything has a value, but it's only worth what somebody else is willing to pay. That works both ways.

Top Bottom