• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    Apparently my grandma's computer has gotten really slow. I figure it just needs a good once over to clean out all the usual spots. I've got a Symantec security suite to install, Malwarebytes and Advanced System Care. I think these will take care of most things, but I figured I'd reach out to the computer gurus here to see if there is anything I've missed. Besides those three programs is there anything else I should download?

EDIT - I should clarify that I know the typical places to clean up temporary files and such. I also plan on removing any unnecessary programs from Dell.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    1) What OS is she running?
    2) What are the specs on the machine?
    3) How long since that machine has a reformat done to it?
    4) What is that machine going to be used for? (web surfing, gaming, etc..)

Reason for all this is to help you out better. For example my gaming machine I have no anti-virus, no firewall, no protection on it. It's stricly to play games online and fast! I don't surf the net with it (browser) wise so I don't care if it get infected. Every 90 days I do a re-wipe of it anyways.

My other PC has more protection since I use it online (browse) but I don't have all the stuff you want to add since it just slows the machine down and I am ok with the level of risk I leave it open to.

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    Every Wed: Lunch, Cigars, and Guns @ Pine Island Pit Stop Cigar Lounge
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_events/108606-
    every_wednesday_lunch_cigars_guns_pine_island_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_part_2_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    11-12 DEC 2010 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

OTHER INFO
    A Guide to Protecting Your Rights: What to do when LEO stop you and your are carrying.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/81201-
    an_oc_guide_to_protecting_your_rights_what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    For my Windows 7 I right clicked on My computer on the desktop and clicked properties. On the properties screen I changed it to "adjust for best performance" and it makes a world of difference

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Apparently my grandma's computer has gotten really slow. I figure it just needs a good once over to clean out all the usual spots. I've got a Symantec security suite to install, Malwarebytes and Advanced System Care. I think these will take care of most things, but I figured I'd reach out to the computer gurus here to see if there is anything I've missed. Besides those three programs is there anything else I should download?

EDIT - I should clarify that I know the typical places to clean up temporary files and such. I also plan on removing any unnecessary programs from Dell.

What OS, what are the hardware specs (i.e. how much memory, etc).

Malwarebytes is good and would definitely use it. Personally I'd opt for Microsoft Security Essentials as far as AV rather than Symantec. Its free and it works.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    One thing that slows down a computer that a lot of people think is virus or malware related is a gummed up registry.

Over time as programs are added and removed, properties are added and removed, the problem is that most programs do not delete their registry items and over time it becomes bloated and slows down the pc's speed.

I have used PC Tools Reg Mechanic to clean unwanted/un-needed registry items and it improves performance every time.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    System Mechanic works very well. Have had nothing but great thing from it. Be careful with some of the registry cleaners. I have ruined a computer or two by cleaning out the wrong stuff.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Symantec security suite << My experience is that will slow it down. I'd install Microsoft Security Essentials, super lightweight and does a great job at virus scan.

When I do "system maintenance" I do:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    Disk Cleanup
    CCleaner
    Defraggler

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    as far as free goes. install ccleaner( make sure you go to advanced options & tell it to delete all file, also run the registry scanner ), atf cleaner, malwarebytes, securtiy essentials & yes system mechanic does rock(complete system tuneup can be performed in about 1 hour). if you would like one package to cover your entire house that is pretty reasonable check out vipre. Also I have noticed on certain computers running windows xp that if you turn off system restore it tends to run like a new computer.

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Symantic!?!? OMG... DON'T DO IT!!! Throw that steaming :poop: in the trash immediately!

Yes use:
    Malwarebytes
    CCleaner
    System Mechanic
    AVG Free

I use these 4 when working on systems for people. The first thing I do when I sit down to work on a 'slow' computer is to remove Norton (Symantic). Which, by the way, you have to download an uninstaller from their website to remove 'completely' and it still leaves fragmented data in the registry.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    1) What OS is she running?
    2) What are the specs on the machine?
    3) How long since that machine has a reformat done to it?
    4) What is that machine going to be used for? (web surfing, gaming, etc..)
    1. I think Vista, but I am not sure. Might be XP. I think one is Vista and the other is XP.
    2. No idea.
    3. Um...never?
    4. Mostly surfing and whatever else a grandma would do on a PC.

I have CCleaner at home, but wasn't sure if I needed that in addition to ASC. I also have Defraggler, but didn't know if it would be needed in addition to the Windows defragger.

So the Symantec Endpoint Protection I get from IU is no good? I have used it since I was in school and have never noticed any problems.

Thanks for the rest of the info. I knew about most of the programs, but there were a couple I hadn't heard of. I stumbled upon Major Geeks a couple years back and it seems to be a really good site for finding stuff like this. I just wanted to fill any holes I had in my plan of attack and I think I did that.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    So the Symantec Endpoint Protection I get from IU is no good? I have used it since I was in school and have never noticed any problems.

I haven't used the new one, but the older Symantec product IU used to give out for free wasn't that bad, reminds me of the current Microsoft Security Essentials. I like MSE so much because it's so light weight, while just sitting there in the background it uses only ~5mb of RAM, very lightweight if you ask me!

Top Bottom