• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will you be at the 2A rally on February 8th?

• Total voters

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    You are fine.

The way GFZs work is there is a magical barrier that deters anyone the State has not licensed to carry a firearm. The GFZ fairies don't recognize States whose laws allow the legal carry of a firearm without any licensing or permits (i.e. long guns in Indiana). So, as long as you are licensed in your State to carry a firearm (Indiana LTCH, in this case) you are able to pass Go, but will not be collecting your $200, and be within the sunshine and rainbow lands of a GFZ.

Now I'm confused. It could be because I'm half asleep. Bit if I'm reading this right your sayong ainxe I have a LTCH I can carry in gun free zones? That goes against everything i know.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Now I'm confused. It could be because I'm half asleep. But if I'm reading this right, you're saying if I have a LTCH I can carry in gun free zones? That goes against everything i know.
    A Gun Free Zone, as defined by the Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990. It is a federal United States law that prohibits any individual from knowingly possessing a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a "school zone" as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25). Exemptions are given for those licensed by their State to possess/carry a firearm.

The GFSZA is just a feel good measure to keep ne'er-do-wells from coming within 1000' of a school, licensed daycare, etc. Do not get this confused with other places that might typically be referred to as a "Gun Free Zone" (e.g. .gov buildings, schools, State Fair, etc). If you have an Indiana LTCH, the GFSZA doesn't really apply to you. It just allows you inside the 1000' bubble, up to where the other, regular State laws take effect.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Now I'm confused. It could be because I'm half asleep. Bit if I'm reading this right your sayong ainxe I have a LTCH I can carry in gun free zones? That goes against everything i know.

Just to tag on to what CR said: Your LTCH exempts you from the federal GFSZA 1000' radius. But it doesn't exempt you from IN state law that makes it illegal to carry a gun on school property (unless you're picking up a child, and you and your gun stay in the vehicle).

Because the state law has no 1000' radius, it doesn't apply on 2/8.

Also, not to pick nits, but I believe the federal GFSZA defers to the individual states' definition of a school. And in Indiana, that's kind of hard to read.

It's SOOOO much fun trying not to be a criminal. :xmad:

Nick4562

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    regardless if you have a permit or not, the owner of the property can ask you to leave if you have a firearm. If you are on the sidewalk you are fine. I was at the 19th rally with probably 1000 or so guns and no problems.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Ok, so what I've learned;

If you have a LTCH, great see you on the 8th with or without your guns, long gun and/or handgun.

If you don't have a LTCH, and feel the law won't allow you to bring your long gun, then you REALLY need to be there on the 8th.

That about right?

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I told my boss I was taking the day off and he said, "You going to that rally downtown?"

I said, "What do you think!?!?!?" :D

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    OK this is my last ditch effort to find a ride....

I am offering:
    1) $100 cash
    2) gas fully covered for the round trip
    3) lunch is on me
    4) a FREE GUN!
    and all this can be yours for the low low cost of picking my no vehicle having butt up in Mishawaka (South Bend) driving me to the march and bringing me back.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield

I am offering:
    1) $100 cash
    3) lunch is on me
    4) a FREE GUN!
    and all this can be yours for the low low cost of picking my no vehicle having butt up in Mishawaka (South Bend) driving me to the march and bringing me back.

Off hand, the only person I can think of who is coming from anywhere near there would be Prometheus. You might send him a PM.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Rabblerouser, I'd love to help you out, for free.
    But I can't.
    I just missed 3 midnghts cause of the flu.
    I'd have to leave early, and I don't think work will go for it now.
    And, I'd probably get you sick.

I still have the shakes, can barely type.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Also, because you/he do not own the property on which we will be rallying (the public sidewalk), a minor is not able to possess a firearm.
    So you're saying a father cannot take his 16 year old son to a range and shoot a long gun with him? I mean you don't own the range...

What about going hunting with your 16 year old ... I suppose it has to be your property?

I thought it applied only to handguns and not to long guns.

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson

I am offering:
    1) $100 cash
    3) lunch is on me
    4) a FREE GUN!
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a car :dunno:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    So you're saying a father cannot take his 16 year old son to a range and shoot a long gun with him? I mean you don't own the range...

What about going hunting with your 16 year old ... I suppose it has to be your property?

I thought it applied only to handguns and not to long guns.
    No, I am not. Exemptions are obviously made for ranges and hunting. It also does not specify long gun or handgun, only firearm.

Also, even if it did specify handgun, there would still be an issue with a long gun since you must be licensed by your state to carry a firearm within the radius of a GFZ (which, as far as I know, the licensed/accredited daycare at the Statehouse classifies as a school as per IC definition). A 16 year old is two years short of being about to possess a valid LTCH.

IC 35-47-10-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or a firearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the child during the course.
    (2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    (6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.1-1995, SEC.78; P.L.203-1996, SEC.2.

Top Bottom