• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    I have narrowed this down to a Skinner sight or an XS sight. Has anyone used one or both of these that can tell me which way to go? Thanks

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    DSC_0179.JPG

Last edited:

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I have a Lyman on my 1895 and it is a fine sight. No experience with the others. A friend had a Skinner on his 1894. It seemed a bit bulky to me, though it was an older model. Required a new front sight as I recall.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I would purchase dr. Skinners sight. You are correct it might need a new front as well but many times you do not. I have the Black gold on a 39M and it works great. I have a low pro on my 1894 and it works as a gost ring well with no weight.

cjbecker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I will be receiving my skinner and new skinner front sight this week for a 1894c .357 I also use a marble tang sight on an older 39a. let you know.

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks Guys I am thinking a skinner black gold XA with a new brass front sight if it needs it would look really cool.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The XS system is more of a ghost sight. Not a true peep. Dr skinners good sights have several inserts available from fine target to ghost ring. My Low pro is more of a semi ghost ring. Large but not huge. It is also the lightest weight back up sight I can get for my scout scope setup. Since mine had a factory glow front sight it sorks very well but not nearly as nice as the scout scope.

On my 44 mag it is more for me about putting a round or two on target very quickly. I still hunt and often you have about 15-30 seconds to get the target in sight and make the call to pull the trigger. After that you are busted and they are moving fast or slow but moving and they know that you are not normally a part of the enviroment.

DSC03067.jpg

DSC03059.jpg

DSC03063.jpg

cjbecker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Just put the skinner on my 1894 and dang does it look good. This weekend i will get it sighted in.

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    jmarriott
    Thanks those pictures are great. So you really like your scout scope, what size is it? I saw that mount on the xs website how secure is the mounting?
    Thanks Ben

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    I don't think I mentioned it but I want to set this up for hunting not target shooting or anything and I am not thinking shots over 75-100 yards if that.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I love the scout scope think of it as advanced Iron sights. it is a leopold 2.75 power fixed scout I have taken several deer with it. Longest over 90 yards shortest about 3 rows of corn.

You can get into the scout setup rather cheap. Look at the ncstar 2-7 IER scope at about 40 dollars and the XS rail about 70. So under 200 but I will not assure you that the NCstar will hold up to the 444 with full house loads. I will hold up to 357 and 44 mag for many years as I have setup about 5 of them for others.

Mine is the leopold with warne QD low rings and skinner low pro backup.

Not everyone is a scout scope fan but I have a left eye dominate handicap and the scout you keep both eyes open so it is no handicap.

A second way to get about the same effect is to use a leopold ultralight 2.5 power with the standard mount. It is about as quick as my scout.

Top Bottom