• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I see people posting all the time that they have their Get Home Bags in their cars, and that they plan on staying off the road in a SHTF situation while traveling home. However, I don't know how thrilled I would be having people sneaking in behind my house or through my fields in a real SHTF situation.

Now, the more I think about this, the more I think about my travel plans to get home on SHTF day. I don't want to get shot by someone already unravelled by the events of the day, then they see me taking the shortcut through their back 40, decide they are not going to take a chance on me being a threat and then proceed to eliminate the possibility by taking me out.

With this in mind, how would you travel, dress, etc. on SHTF day 1 to get home? Or how would you deal with those passing through?

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    I would stay in my vehicle as long as long as i could without my safety being put in jeopardy. having a rather large truck, going off road or having to bump a few things out of the way is also an option of me. but if grabbing my stuff and hoofing it home were an option... id just try to maintain a low profile.. staying away from high population areas when i can. I dont have much though.. dont have the resources for a get home bag and dont usually keep a gun in my truck either

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    in the back 40...

I'll hear them from getting caught in the thorns or falling into sink holes. Out back there are a few nasty ones that will break your leg if you are not looking

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I work across the street from where I live, so I don't think I have much to be concerned about.:) One of the downfalls to this is I can never call in and say my car won't start.;)

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    It all depends on where I am at when SHTF and how the SHTF. If it is safe to drive home I would certainly do so, but if it isn't safe to drive then I am figuring that it will also be unsafe to just go walking down the interstate. My home is about a mile from the Wabash, so if I am north or south of home I plan on hitting the riverbottoms and walking back along the river. That gives me easy water for purification and lots of flora and fauna to supplement the food in my pack. If I am east or west I would stick to county roads and look for a railroad track to follow.

Again, this all assumes that I couldn't just drive home or that the SHTF was not something like a natural disaster where I would feel comfortable just following the main roads. I figure that if I prepare for the worst possible scenario then it makes anything less that much simpler.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    no matter what im staying home, its defensable, has all my food and guns. the only reason to leave would be to avoid nuclear fallout.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My back 40 is only 4, but people going through it at any time will have a problem on their hands even on a good day. SHTF scenario and the intensity of the situation and the trespass just increased considerably. Respect other people's property if at all possible.

I plan to stay on the road to get home in such a situation if possible to do so. I have often wondered how I would respond to a situation where the "authorities" were not allowing people back to their homes after a flood or tornado or some such indicent, or if the "authorities" insisted upon an evacuation and I did not want to go. I am not a big fan of being told what to do in any situation, but on my own property that really yanks my chain.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    just because you think shtf does not give anyone the right to just start shooting at someone for no reason. if someone is only crossing your property and you start shooting for no other reason than trespasing without any kind of warning, you just might get yourself shot in the process. if they are coming at you it might be different.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I live about 6 1/2 miles from my job. If something happened while I was at work - and depending on the situation - I would have at least 2 choices.

I could drive - if my vehicle was able and certain roads were open (I would have to cross bridges). If time before violence, I would try to take the interstate to the main road home (the way I usually get to and from work). It would be quicker.

But, if I had to avoid that route for some reason, I would take the back (country) roads - even if I had to hoof it. (A little longer) But, I would keep to the roads as much as possible and not tresspass.
    But, one way or the other, I would do what I could to get home and stay here.
    No meds, so I'd be safe there. But, I do smoke - so stay away once I run out! :D

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have often wondered how I would respond to a situation where the "authorities" were not allowing people back to their homes after a flood or tornado or some such indicent, or if the "authorities" insisted upon an evacuation and I did not want to go. I am not a big fan of being told what to do in any situation, but on my own property that really yanks my chain.
    I spent some time in New Orleans in 2008 and over time one of the biggest regrets repeated by many was NOT staying in/going back to their homes right away. By not being there, much more damage was done to their homes during those weeks they were prevented from returning.

Example: roof leaks, bed gets wet, hot weather for weeks + wet bed = massive mold in the house.

I will get home but I will obey the law of the land while doing it. I know my safe short cuts and routes already.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Sneaking through anyone’s back yard is a bad idea and especially so during a SHTF situation.

People crossing the farm will be perceived as a potential threat. The ones that don’t stop, as long as a respectable distance is maintained, will be a low level threat while the ones that stop and glass the houses, especially with a riflescope, will be considered to be at a much higher threat level.

The first day or two of SHTF I don’t think too many of the travelers will be much of a menace although as people get hungrier, the likelihood of encountering troublemakers will most likely go up.

I think traveling on foot on county/back roads will be safe during the first few days after SHTF but once tensions get high, traveling cross country and/or at night may very well be the best option. A town of any size should be skirted and cities should be avoided like the plague.

As far as dress goes, wear a suit and carry a Barbie backpack and you probably won’t be perceived as much of a threat. Will I be outfitted like that? No. And I doubt many here would be either.

Bucky

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As far as dress goes, wear a suit and carry a Barbie backpack and you probably won’t be preserved as much of a threat. Will I be outfitted like that? No. And I doubt many here would be either.

Therein lies the problem.

What if it's me or you, just trying to get home? Likely carrying a long gun, maybe in camo, working the GPS or compass in the straightest line possible. Avoiding the roadways may be a necessity, a necessity that may not be known by property owners in a true SHTF situation.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    just because you think shtf does not give anyone the right to just start shooting at someone for no reason. if someone is only crossing your property and you start shooting for no other reason than trespasing without any kind of warning, you just might get yourself shot in the process. if they are coming at you it might be different.

Just to clarify. I did not say anything about shooting. SHTF does not give someone the right to be on my property either. I don't do that to others and I expect them not to do it me either. If you were refering to my comments please don't add words.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette

The language of "rights" really has no place in this discussion. If someone shoots you it's game over for you. Doesn't matter if they later get in trouble for it. This is about getting home safely, and if things are bad then jumpy landowners will be one of the risks a traveller might need to be cognizant of.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Well if any of you see me and a 2.5' tall child walking on your property please dont shoot! I'll also wear my INGO hat for good measure.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    I would stay on the roads as best you could.

1. You have no right to tresspass.
    2. Being on the road will mean you are not perceived as sneaking or attempting to be evasive. That could trigger a strike reflex. Seems like a lot of false bravado to assume that you can outdo someone that you don't know on their turf that they are familiar with and you aren't.
    3. Depending on the event, people could be worried about invaders, in camo, scouting for the enemy or the barbarian hordes to follow. Ever deal with panicy people?

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I would stay on the roads. Most of Indiana has a County road running
    East-West, or North-South at each mile, with some smaller county roads in between.

That means the most out of the one would travel would be one mile,
    then you can cross the entire County on that road.

Farmers don't take kindly to people crossing their property and breaking down fences.

If they have livestock in the same pasture you chose to cross,
    at that point you would for sure be considered a threat.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Assuming it is an actual SHTF scenario, it would most likely be WROL. Therefore, my house would be just like the White House. You cross the fence, you are considered a threat, and an example will be made.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I think that I would try to make it over to my cabin in the woods and off the beaten path where I have resources to feed, drink and warm myself if necessary. I would also be amongst people of like mind. Once there, I would definitely be armed at all times, but I would not be hiding up in the hills waiting to bump off anyone who came within 800 yards of my property. That kind of behavior would just complicate an already bad situation. Hopefully, it would not last too long and some order would be restored. I would not want to have to go before a magistrate to try to explain why I shot someone who was no real threat and was only trying to find his way back to his wife and kids to protect them. However, if you are sneaking around in camos with a rifle in your hand, I just hope that mine shoots farther than yours.

Top Bottom