• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I am 27 years old. I am currently struggling with quite a few health problems mostly related to nerve and muscular problems, and spinal issues that are deteriorating. I used to be very fit and active so this is pretty rough. I have known my whole life that I had dextrocardia and dextroversion of my heart, but it essentially causes no problems.
    Anyways.. I passed out a few times at night getting up to pee and was told it was dehydration, but my genetic doctor wanted me to see a cardiologist. He said I looked pretty healthy and did an EKG that was fine. He went ahead and did an ultrasound. The doctor called and left a message that my ejection fraction? Is at 45% and he wants me to see a heart failure doctor and get on medication.
    Is it really that big of a deal? I am 5'7" and 140 pounds so I'm not overweight at all and I eat a decent diet (hardly any processed food and lots of water). I really try not to take meds unless needed.
    I can't help but think that somehow all of my problems are related, but no one seems to be able to put anything together. I just really want to know if it's as big of a deal as some websites make it seem.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    HF is a big deal when not appropriately managed. See the doc, do what they say. You'll feel much better

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What's your BP?

45% is low, 60-65% is more normal. Would it sound more serious if someone said you have lost 30% of your heart function? You can possibly improve things with meds. Seeing a cardiologist does not mean taking meds, you can just get advice and guidance on your condition.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    What's your BP?

45% is low, 60-65% is more normal. Would it sound more serious if someone said you have lost 30% of your heart function? You can possibly improve things with meds. Seeing a cardiologist does not mean taking meds, you can just get advice and guidance on your condition.

This for sure. Your Ef is much lower than it should be for someone your age. I work in a cardiologist office so pm me if you need some questions answered.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    My BP is always pretty much perfect. Oxygen 98%. I have had a few sleep studies that I had mild obstructive and central apnea episodes, but the last one I had was completely normal except for the emg. Only problem I really have heart/lung related is feeling like I can't take a deep enough breath. I had an ultrasound in 09 that showed something about my blood flow into my lungs, but I will have to look r what exactly it said. They never mentioned it to me at the time though.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Have they done a stress test on you? I had minor heart attacks several years ago that I thought were just chest pains. It was due to extremely high blood pressure and because I refused to go to the doctor. When they did my stress test (besides the running on the treadmill test) the doctor had me lie down on the table and then quickly rise up as if I was getting out of bed (I too had passed out like you getting up to pee at night). When I got up from the table my blood pressure jumped up even higher which is somewhat normal to rise a little but if it goes way too high like mine did you can pass out or worse have a heart attack. The other thing that can make you pass out like that might be kidney stones or a bad kidney infection (kidneys that don't function properly leave dirty blood that can overwork the heart and cause high blood pressure and extra heart stress). Unfortunately, I have also had stones removed that have caused blackouts. Just a couple suggestions to ask your doc about. I'll say a prayer for you - hope you find what it is.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My wife has cardiomyopathy, and it causes ejection fraction issues/congestive heart failure. She has had it since she was 30 (she's 48 now). That feeling of not getting a deep enough breath is likely due to that low EF. Yes, you need to get it checked, and yes it can be managed. My wife actually has an ICD implant that helps manage things, but there are other ways to deal with it for sure. Go get it checked. If you do get meds, take them and work with the doctors as needed to adjust them, etc.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Don't put off taking care of yourself. If you work at it now, while you're still young, you will thank yourself later as you age. Health is the upmost importance. (Speaking from experience.)

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    As a teen, I had a friend who was not feeling right. She went to a doctor, who said she was in bad shape and needed to go to the hospital. Instead, she went home for a nap..and never woke up. Sometimes doctors are in place to sell prescriptions, but not always. Better safe than sorry.

Do you have insurance? If you do, there is no reason not to follow doctors orders. If you dont have insurance, follow your gut. Googling your symptons will convince you that you are dying..then again, just because youre paranoid, doesn't mean they arent out to get you.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I had a stress test in 09 with the rest of the workup because I actually thought I was having a heart attack at work. I had a stomach ulcer and they said it was just severe heartburn from that after the testing. My ejection fraction was 65 at that time. Only thing that has changed since then is that I actually eat healthier. Unfortunately this last year I have been less active due to pain deteriorating spine and joint issues, but I'm just kind of at a loss of what could be causing it. I will definately go to the doc and see what they say.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Anyone know how common it is for migraine medications to cause heart problems? I have been on a ton of them and whenever I take immitrex my chest hurts pretty bad. My neurologist told me it was common and nothing to worry about. I have since changed neurologist, but I still take it.
    Thank you for all of the info everyone.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Anti migraine meds don't cause low ejection fractions.

There are cardiac meds that can help that number go up.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Testing in 09 needs to be looked at as being 7 years old.

Lots of things change in 7 years.

After meeting with the cardiologist, do your continued due diligence--ask lots of questions and do more research before settling on the recommended course of treatment.

And then do that.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    My wife has cardiomyopathy, and it causes ejection fraction issues/congestive heart failure. She has had it since she was 30 (she's 48 now). That feeling of not getting a deep enough breath is likely due to that low EF. Yes, you need to get it checked, and yes it can be managed. My wife actually has an ICD implant that helps manage things, but there are other ways to deal with it for sure. Go get it checked. If you do get meds, take them and work with the doctors as needed to adjust them, etc.

This entire post here, is very good advice. I am a heart patient and I know. I highlighted in red the part that can make you feel more at ease about seeing the Dr on this. I had a very serious heart attack in 2006, and have been able to keep everything under control, even tho I smoke some, since then with just the proper diet and 2 meds daily.

Your situation may vary (all are different in some ways)... but whatever you do, be fully honest with your Cardiologist.... both about how you feel, and any and all issues (breathing, spells of weakness, sleeplessness, and especially any chest pain). If you take ANY pain medicine, even OTC like Tylenol... you may not feel the chest pain like you should, if there is an emergency.

Personally, I have to sleep in a recliner more than not, because I do have the same feeling of not being able to breathe deeply enough at times. As far as your pain in joints and back, this could also be related to Fybromyalgia (which is actually the nervous system telling your motor points that things aren't normal), and causes undue pain. There is no clear test or diagnosis for Fybro, but it has proven to be present in far more people than was known 30-40 years ago. Drs' used to think it was a 'female' condition. Trust me, it is not. See a Cardiologist, for sure, my friend...

Dizziness & fainting, joint pain, and trouble breathing deeply... can also be side effects of the Imitrex. Ask your Dr about taking 'half doses' (if oral), and see what the results are.

Last edited:

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    This entire post here, is very good advice. I am a heart patient and I know. I highlighted in red the part that can make you feel more at ease about seeing the Dr on this. I had a very serious heart attack in 2006, and have been able to keep everything under control, even tho I smoke some, since then with just the proper diet and 2 meds daily.

Your situation may vary (all are different in some ways)... but whatever you do, be fully honest with your Cardiologist.... both about how you feel, and any and all issues (breathing, spells of weakness, sleeplessness, and especially any chest pain). If you take ANY pain medicine, even OTC like Tylenol... you may not feel the chest pain like you should, if there is an emergency.

Personally, I have to sleep in a recliner more than not, because I do have the same feeling of not being able to breathe deeply enough at times. As far as your pain in joints and back, this could also be related to Fybromyalgia (which is actually the nervous system telling your motor points that things aren't normal), and causes undue pain. There is no clear test or diagnosis for Fybro, but it has proven to be present in far more people than was known 30-40 years ago. Drs' used to think it was a 'female' condition. Trust me, it is not. See a Cardiologist, for sure, my friend...

Dizziness & fainting, joint pain, and trouble breathing deeply... can also be side effects of the Imitrex. Ask your Dr about taking 'half doses' (if oral), and see what the results are.

I was actually diagnosed a couple years ago with fibro, but they didn't do anything at the time. I was recently put on lyrica which did nothing for me so I stopped taking it. I see a geneticist for galactosemia and gastrophresis and he wanted me to get tested for a neuromuscular problem, but when I have talked to my neurologist about it, they say that I don't present like someone who has one whatever that means. I don't know much about all of that our if it could contribute to heart problems.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I got scheduled to see the doctor, but they couldn't get me in until the end of June.

As Mom45 said, call back and see if you can get in if there is a cancellation or look for another doctor that can check you out sooner. I am nearly 54. I did not realize I had heart issues until I turned 40. The damage was already done by then. You are lucky you caught it now and not much later in life. My prayers are with you.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I got in to see the doctor today. She wasn't too concerned, so that is good! I didn't really understand the whole reasoning since I'm no doctor, but she said they look at it in different "slices" and only part of my heart on the outside was flattened out? I'm sure others would understand better. I'm just glad that I don't have to worry about it or change anything!

Top Bottom