• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Ok so the new place that I'm moving into has some property. I want to build a range for personal use in the back. Intended use would be mostly handgun and 223 usage, probably only 50 yard shots.

This is what I'm thinking...

5 or 6 stacks of tires on fence pickets filled with dirt ( get them about 8 feet tall)
    Concrete blocks filled with dirt/sand wall on three sides (right left and back)
    Dirt around all of that

Any additional safety measure are welcome, or ideas. Trying to keep the cost down, I can get the dirt for free and work on other items as I go.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Sounds pretty solid to me. There are a few threads around here on building backstops. Basically just make a three wall structure (like a U) and fill with dirt, lots of dirt. 8' tall is good, IMO.

How wide are you thinking of making it? Will the targets be in front of the side walls, or recessed (set back behind the front line of the U) to catch any splatter from steel targets?

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Sounds pretty solid to me. There are a few threads around here on building backstops. Basically just make a three wall structure (like a U) and fill with dirt, lots of dirt. 8' tall is good, IMO.

How wide are you thinking of making it? Will the targets be in front of the side walls, or recessed (set back behind the front line of the U) to catch any splatter from steel targets?

Intend to have the targets inside the U up against the tire backstop. Not sure the width, maybe two pistol shooter bays. Whatever 5 or 6 tires wide gives me lol

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    years ago built my own gun range, lived in country and no neighbors behind me. Piled 6' high mound of dirt with backhoe, put 4'x8' 1/2" steel plate in front of that. Then put railroad ties in front of steel plate. I fired many 375hh and 458 Winch mag into this and was perfectly safe.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Sounds good, we have 2 back stops. One is a man made dirt mound, and the other is the natural landscape very large dirt mound.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    If you have room, go wider than 5-6 tire widths. I went 16' and it is fine, but wish I went wider.

Also if you have stuff to the sides of you that you don't want hit the U shape like you said is a good idea with rifle rounds. Shoot some 5.56 tracers and you will see them arc to the sides of a berm pretty good...which might mean a high side and a low target for rifles if you have stuff 50-75 yards to the side of your berm.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    co-worker down here at Crane was able to haul out railroad ties and built his backstop with those.

Don't know if you could get a big trailer to haul them, but you might be able to get some.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    If you have houses in the general direction of where you are shooting, I think it'd be a good idea to put an overhang on it as well to prevent ricocheting up into the air and going over your back stop, I would definitely do this is you plan on shooting steel targets.

Top Bottom