(Petition for the .311 Bullet) Need your help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Design a new bullet? I'd just like them to make more of the ones they already make so they're not sold out every time I go to look for them!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Don't see the rational in using the ak47, sks, dragunov, and vepr in the argument. If you're going to reload for a semi-auto, you'll need a healthy supply of brass. These platforms will eat anything and the surplus ammo or new steel is cheap.

You could make a similar argument for 5.45x39 since it's a very popular round but with as cheap as the current ammo is, why bother? Maybe when all the surplus dries up or we have an embargo with Russia...

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I just saw in the latest issue of Fur-Fish-Game that a new world record moose was shot this past September. It was killed with a .303 British and iron sights.

From what I've read, .303 Brit is one of the most popular, if not THE most popular rifle cartridges in Canada.

I agree a better selection of .311 bullets would be nice. But I don't think a petition is going to make any difference. I'm sure the bullet makers know the level of demand for different size bullets and if the demand were there, in the form of sales, the manufacturers would make the bullets to sell.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    There is a article that addresses the surplus ammo coming to the United States. To me this is a sign we need to give ourselves more options. I think even if it was not a issue it would be nice to have more options available.

[FONT=&amp]Putin shutting down exports of ammunition to the U.S. in response to events taking place in Ukraine. [/FONT]
    Is the x39 world coming to an end? | The Bang Switch

Your line, "[FONT=&amp]Putin shutting down exports of ammunition to the U.S. in response to events taking place in Ukraine. ", as well as not being true is the kind of thing that people read and then panic without bother to read the article you linked it too. [/FONT]Do us all a favor and think before you post such nonsense. BTW for those that didn't read the article, ammo is flowing just fine from Russia. Do you really think Putin would stop making money from us? Obama may try it but I think he would have some problems with the trade agreements that were signed and could the Dems really take anymore hits before the 2014 midterms?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The ballistic coefficients you seek at a given weight are...optimistic, to say the least.

You're also not going to have much luck driving those heavy bullets at any reasonable velocity from a milsurp, and will have a hell of a time loading any of them in a semi auto magazine (further decreasing velocity).

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    *600+BC range Highly desired

* 174gr and up is the area that does best in the .311

If I order from you (us? them?), and you don't deliver a 0.311" 174 grain bullet with a 0.600+ G1 BC, will you give me a refund?

As long as we are stipulating what would be 'nice to have', can you also build me a 0.257" all copper bullet with a 0.600+ G1 BC? Don't care about the weight but it needs to fit into a LA Rem 700 mag when seated to the lands in a SAAMI spec chamber.

Thanks!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    For me, it would depend on the price.

What will it be able to do for me that I cannot do with an SST, Hornady Match, Sierra Match King, or similar?

I use the Mosin in Indiana for coyotes. No hogs to speak of up where yet. A .600BC would be nice for coyote, but would be nicer in a 150 grain pill.

Top Bottom