• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Training on weapons retention and creating space to deploy.
    I am middle-aged , overweight and out of shape, so I think I would need something that allows me to quickly react to an assailant with more experience street fighting but not a lot of training because the longer the fight goes, my chances of success will diminish exponentially. I looked at martial arts classes and karate is within 30 min of me, BJJ is within an hour and krav maga is a 90 min drive, all one way. It seemed the KM would be most beneficial for the guy in the mirror right now and his needs, but the time commitment is so huge that I have doubts I would stick with it.

What classes on retention strategies would you recommend?u
    What martial arts system would you recommend if time was not a factor, if time were a factor?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I would look to the true experts in this arena -- guys like "southnarc", Paul Sharp, who else? What do those guys do? What do those guys recommend? Who else is even close to their league when it comes to this part of the fight?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Things you can work on now, even before you find a class.

STAMINA - I get a great workout chasing my 3 year old and her friends. We play keep away with a soccer ball. I chase them, they chase me. It's great to build up stamina in the heart, lungs, legs.

You could also play this game with a dog if you don't have kids.

ARM STRENGTH - a set of basic resistance bands can be used for various exercises at home. Use them while watching TV. Work on shoulder, bicep, forearm and wrist strength.

GRIP - hang from a pull up bar. You can do intervals of 15- 30 seconds starting out.

Another cheap grip exercise involves crumpling up full sheets of newspaper with one hand, until you can completely cover the ball of paper in your fist.

[video=youtube_share;q3jo1BAF37c]http://youtu.be/q3jo1BAF37c[/video]

Don't let the absence of a class keep you from getting started.

circle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    You are thousands of times more likely to suffer adverse consequences from being overweight than you are of being attacked by an assailant.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You are thousands of times more likely to suffer adverse consequences from being overweight than you are of being attacked by an assailant.

Willing to risk it. Quit working out in 1992. March 1992.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Geeeeesh..... Kids.... Soon you will find the enjoyment and enlightenment of Cheesesteaks and
    Extra BACON on everything....

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think exercise and diet in general will be huge! But if you want to learn some form of self defense I think the bjj within an hour seems reasonable. Any further than that and I feel like it would be too much of a burden to go to semi frequently...

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    A starting point is getting a heavy bag and going to town. Get some free pointers on form for throwing a good punch. A good 15 minutes will wear you out, and work on that stamina. My 2C.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I CrossFit and have done so for about 6 years now. However, I also teach defensive tactics to our recruits and started adding stand-up and ground fighting to my workouts (its a mixture of several disciplines). 2 days a week, us instructors will meet up and "roll" working on our ground skills but we all have gloves for the heavy bag or even sparring with each other. We generally workout 3 minutes rest 1, then we change up partners and do it again. After about 3-6 rounds we are spent. If you could find a good old fashion boxing gym, you will totally worked over AND learn some self defense while doing so.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Look around for Muay Thai. Pretty efficient and brutal martial art. I'd go with the Krav Maga over traditional karate and BJJ.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Things you can work on now, even before you find a class.

STAMINA - I get a great workout chasing my 3 year old and her friends. We play keep away with a soccer ball. I chase them, they chase me. It's great to build up stamina in the heart, lungs, legs.

You could also play this game with a dog if you don't have kids.

ARM STRENGTH - a set of basic resistance bands can be used for various exercises at home. Use them while watching TV. Work on shoulder, bicep, forearm and wrist strength.

GRIP - hang from a pull up bar. You can do intervals of 15- 30 seconds starting out.

Another cheap grip exercise involves crumpling up full sheets of newspaper with one hand, until you can completely cover the ball of paper in your fist.

[video=youtube_share;q3jo1BAF37c]http://youtu.be/q3jo1BAF37c[/video]

Don't let the absence of a class keep you from getting started.

This! Cardio. Having the ability to stay in the fight is a must.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can do lots of things at home with just your body weight to get in better shape.
    As for going out to get some training on empty hand combat your best option is probably the Krav Maga.
    You said it's far but you might just have to go a few times to pick up some basic move.
    As opposed to going to a Karate class every week for one or two years to get the same combat efficiency.

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Check out rosstraining.com. Ross is a fitness guru/boxing trainer, and has a ton of great information from homemade equipment to fitness regimens. It's a great forum, and the guys there are really helpful and motivating.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    If you are initially out of shape, check out 9 Round Kickboxing. Cheap, effective training that will get cardio where it needs to be, as well as teach basic punching, striking. I'm not sure I would recommend Krav until you're physically fit for it. Otherwise you'll be paying alot just to take their beginner/get-in-shape classes.

But when you're ready, Krav or jiu-jitsu is the way to go.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Defensive tactics are perishable skills, just like shooting. Whatever you choose, reps reps reps. We teach, and recommend to anyone asking, that you learn one move at a time and work that move until it's second nature, then move on. What we find is that without the reps, under stress (when it's the exact time to use it) you will be trying to think about the move to use and thus too slow to use it, serious disadvantage. At the end of the day, if you have learned 2 moves in every position, you will be in a great position to defend yourself successfully. We are lucky to have a great gym in the area run by a coach who has trained some of the best. He will get your arse in shape with quickness.

http://fox59.com/2014/04/01/indianapolis-gym-offers-activities-to-help-keep-kids-out-of-trouble/

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We do a cross fit type workouts. But we like to mix it up--running, biking, weights, body weight, sparring.

Today we are doing a Wing Chun based workout, everything from forearms to cardio to swords.

We have a fitness club thread in the break room. Plenty of ideas there.

Let me know where you are. We have people teaching closed door (Wing Chun) all over the state. I think only 1 is teaching openly.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would look to the true experts in this arena -- guys like "southnarc", Paul Sharp, who else? What do those guys do? What do those guys recommend? Who else is even close to their league when it comes to this part of the fight?

You are right. Josh and I use the material from Craig and Paul. It is a little different from each other but similar in the fact that it is concept driven and easy to learn and use. Not a bunch of If/then Master Ken stuff which so much of what is out there is. We actually hope to go through some of this in the next Managing Confrontations class. Of course as usual we are trying to put quite a bit of information into a certain time frame, so we are currently working the logistics out as to not overload everyone with too much information.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We do a cross fit type workouts. But we like to mix it up--running, biking, weights, body weight, sparring.

Today we are doing a Wing Chun based workout, everything from forearms to cardio to swords.

We have a fitness club thread in the break room. Plenty of ideas there.

Let me know where you are. We have people teaching closed door (Wing Chun) all over the state. I think only 1 is teaching openly.

I live in rhino country! I amwithin a couple of miles of being equidistant from Terre Haute, indy West suburbs, and Lafayette. We usually shop north side Terre Haute, Southside Lafayette or West suburbs depending on what store we are looking for and what restaurant we might want to try.

Good advice from all, thanks. Gives me something to mull over.

Top Bottom