Picked up a new (to me) clean Remington 870 Wingmaster today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Went to the Fort Wayne Gun Show today and scored a VERY clean, like new, Remington 870 Wingmaster w/ 26" barrel and MOD. choke from a nice fellow who was selling some guns from his personal collection. I wasn't really in the market for this gun, (I was looking for Ithaca's) but it was sooo nice, well cared for and clean, I just couldn't pass it up. Best part is...wifey loves it and after her shooting it today with some Rem. 7 bird loads, she's now claimed it as "hers"! :):

Does this mean I can go get another gun now?? How does that work... :dunno: Haha!

kmshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Boone Co.
    You can't go wrong on an 870. I have shot one several times and it is a lot of fun. The first time my daughter saw me shoot doubles from a back yard thrower, she said, "How can you hit two birds with a gun like that?" I told her you just have to be real good. I didn't tell her I just got lucky.

Have fun with it. Also, it's great to have a wife that likes to shoot. Since your wife claims it as hers, then I think you deserve to get your own.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    You will definitely enjoy your new gun! They are great guns!

Good luck on trying to get a free pass on another. But if it does work, kudos to you :rockwoot:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    LoL! Yeah, it looks like I have another free "pass" to get me another one for myself. ;) Whooohooo!

You guys would laugh at me if you knew the junker I plink around with now.. It's an old "Hawk" 12 ga. gun that's a loose Chinese replica of a Rem. 870 Express. Needless to say I'm embarrased to have that thing, (it was an X-mas gift from my former employees a number of years ago) but it is a good gun to toss in the trunk or under the truck seat to go plinking with and not worry about it. Heck, my wife even won a turkey at shoot last year w/ the thing, but I was kinda embarrased to have it at the same table as the other "cool" guns there! :whistle:

Since it has a 5 round magazine and a vent rib, I cut the original 28" barrel down to 19" and re-mounted the front sight bead on the front rib post to make it into a nice home protection gun, with #4's mag shells. :rockwoot:

At least now it never has to leave the house to be seen by anyone! Hahahaha! :):

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    LoL! Yeah, it looks like I have another free "pass" to get me another one for myself. ;) Whooohooo!

You guys would laugh at me if you knew the junker I plink around with now.. It's an old "Hawk" 12 ga. gun that's a loose Chinese replica of a Rem. 870 Express. Needless to say I'm embarrased to have that thing, but it is a good gun to toss in the trunk or under the truck seat to go plinking with. Heck, my wife even won a turkey at shoot last year w/ the thing, but I was kinda embarrased to have it at the same table as the other "cool" guns there! :whistle:

Since it has a 5 round magazine and a vent rib, I cut the original 28" barrel down to 19" and re-mounted the front sight bead on the front rib post to make it into a nice home protection gun, with #4's mag shells. :rockwoot:

At least now it never has to leave the house to be seen by anyone! Hahahaha! :):
    Don't worry about what other people think, if you like it, and it works for the intended purpose...great! There are entirely too many gun snobs around! The 870, and Mossbergs have proven themselves, but so has the H&R single shot's, and the NEF shotguns! There are alot of people with "chinese" copies of the AK, and they're not frowned on! So go forth and let your guns multiply!

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Don't worry about what other people think, if you like it, and it works for the intended purpose...great! There are entirely too many gun snobs around! The 870, and Mossbergs have proven themselves, but so has the H&R single shot's, and the NEF shotguns! There are alot of people with "chinese" copies of the AK, and they're not frowned on! So go forth and let your guns multiply!
    My biggest quip w/ the clone 870 imported gun is the stiffness and notchiness of the action, where you REALLY have to slam the thing to properly eject or slide another round in the chamber. It's like gravel is in the action, no matter how well oiled or taken care of it is...

As a teenager, I used to have a 1970 Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight w/ a 30" full choke, vent-rib barrel for trap & small game hunting and a 26" open choke, rifled Deerslayer vent-rib barrel for slugs. Checkered forearm and stock, etc. I took my first squirrel and my first deer with that gun in 1981 and my memories of it, was that is was smooooth and light and a real joy to shoot. I LOVED that gun!!

I guess I got spoiled early on, so I've been searching for it's replacement ever since.

Top Bottom