Picking a gun Safe. Liberty, Fort Knox, Amsec, or Johnson Safe's????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airman0404

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Forgive me up front for this long thread but looking for all the information and help I can.
    OK, so I know there are a bunch of threads on this and I have read probably everyone for the last 2 years on here. But I still am left with questions, ideas, and what direction to head. I've reserched to the point that I'm tired of looking at safes. I was all set to buy a Liberty Franklin, then a Lincoln, then Presidential, but then looked at Fort Knox. Was really impressed with them, and also looked at Amsec. Then I was completely confused and torn. I wanted to keep my business local and have it delivered in my basement. Plus I want to invest in the largest safe I could afford and fit under my basement stairs.

So I turned to looking on INGO, and everyone here speaks very highly of Jeff and his Johnson safes. I like the idea of being able to custom order one the way I want (size and Layout). This will be my first safe and I'm sure not my only one: My basement is unfinished at the time but will be One day. With me wanting to place my safe under my basement stairs I can fit a 72H X 40W X 30D. ( only have 32W doors leading to basement). I can go shorter, which allows me to go wider. To the right would be a finished outside wall, rear finished outside wall with maybe 6 inches clearance, left would be confined space under stairs, and front would be open to room. I was thinking left sided hinges and the safe would be pretty much completely boxed in and bolted to the cement floor. The down side to all of this is that I believe i need to reinforce my stair stringers to support the wieght of the safe.

So this is were the questions start after my novel of description. I'm looking for advice from past experience from the community of buying a safe. This is a big investment to protect my valuables and important documents.

I think that I'm placing the safe in a very good spot but do you have recommendations?

Has anyone purchased a safe and then wish they bought a different brand and reasoning?

Go shorter/wider or taller/narrower?

Pretty focused on Johnson( more questions on just Johnson later) but 10g or spend extra on the 7 ga Body?

interior layout recommendations? (was thinking half shelves and other half gun rack with an upper shelf)

I always think worse case scenario, so high temp to time rating or can I lessen it? ( fire department is less then 5 minutes away).

Things you wish you would have done different or added to your safe?

Out of general questions and moving on to just Johnson Safe questions only( planning on attend the next 1500 to talk to him:

is there any test proof of the 2600 degrees for 1 hour?

Anyone own a JOhnson that has been in a fire or attempt of break in? if so, what did the safe and contents look like and how did Jeff help you with a new safe?

Any must do add-on that you recommend?

Do you think Jeff would deliver to NWI? if not then there is no reason to explorer further with him.

Has anyone tried to retro fit like a liberty interior door panel on the Johnson? (really like the door panels vs the peg board)

How does the mech and bolt system compare to the other safes I mentioned?

Has anyone found anything wrong or disliked their Johnson safe after purchasing?

Drawing a blank now, So if there is any good or bad information or recommendation that anyone can offer please voice your opinion. First hand experience is the best place of information to me. Budget is always a factor, but I'm willing to invest in protecting my belongings. No everything is replaceable.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    Jeff is a great guy and delivered to me in southern Indiana. I have no doubt he would deliver to you up north. The best idea is to call and talk with Jeff. He will answer all questions and give you the best answers as in from the horses mouth.

All safes are not safe. It's how long or how much effort it takes for a thief to get in. Thickness and a good manual dial lock is about as good as most will ever be able to afford. Not telling everyone on the Internet it is under your stairs and hiding it somewhere would be best. Fake door or hidden room with safe in it is better yet. Fireproofing is great but nothing a average person can afford will save a complete burn to the ground fire. The safe only has dry wall in it for fireproofing and a seal sometimes. Water and the heat is going to kill your firearms in a major fire. In a smaller fire it might save them.

airman0404

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Not telling everyone on the Internet it is under your stairs and hiding it somewhere would be best.

I know less said is better, but no one on here knows where i live and a determined thief is never stoppable i believe. Its not like i'm a millionaire and have bars of gold. I'm an average citizen and think everything i have is priceless. But thank you for your advice.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I bought a liberty. No regrets. It's 45min fire rated.
    You can purchase the door panel storage option for any of their safes.
    Liberty will replace the safe at no cost after attempted breakin or fire.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This is my Johnson safe and he will deliver to NWI.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._safe_to_real_pink_cadillac_johnson_safe.html

He delivered to me in Griffith and installed it in my lower level. He had 2 other guys with him. There is a delivery fee but it was reasonable along with an installation fee for bolting it to the cerement floor.

As for what I would do different.
    Everyone says to go bigger than you think you need. Heck get the biggest thing you can afford AND then save more money and get the next size up! My safe is full oh so quick with all sort of stuff. GGGRRRR

No break-in or fire so can't tell you about that. The safe (not sure about other commerical ones) uses car paint to get painted and just like a car if you hit/scratch it the paint will get damaged. I have a small scratch on it near the bottom door.

Go with a mechanical lock they won't fail you before an electronic one will.

I should have either got him to make a hole in the back for electricity so lights inside as well as a dehumid rod but I did not want to break the fire seal protection. Still debate it. I got small battery lights inside as well as defumindering cyclinders on the inside. They get changed/cooked every month. I know you can add firestopper to a hole (red stuff) and it will hold but the idea of making a hole in the safe was just a :nono: for me.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    Liberty while looking good is a Chinese steel safe. 30% less strong steel vs American steel. American made safe yes but not the steel.

airman0404

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks for the input so far. I'd love to put the biggest safe I could imagine, but I'm limited to door width, stairs, and location size. Now if I was building a new home, I'd have a huge safe craned in or just do the vault room. Also considering if the budget could support it.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Liberty while looking good is a Chinese steel safe. 30% less strong steel vs American steel. American made safe yes but not the steel.

Liberty Safe is Made In The USA with our labor, our materials
    and our design. That's a reason to go to work everyday. Buy Liberty,
    Buy American Made.

Where is this Info?

Last edited:

Bob Shoemaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    You also have t remember that you get what you pay for.
    Don't be afraid to spend or you may not be happy later.
    It all depends on what you are looking for.

jonboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    The $15,000 fort knox at brandys is a masterpiece, it's just beautiful it has the plexy inner door panel with chromed mechanisms. If I could afford a fort knox I would have bought on.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Do any of you guys ever consider regular (not meant for firearms) safes? I have been looking on craigslist and they seem to come up pretty often. As a rule they seem to be much better constructed and far heavier than gun safes.

Top Bottom