• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    About two weeks back work purchased a new toy for my department to use. The company is called Pictometry. It lets me see into your backyard or woods with high resolution.

Pictometry - The Aerial Oblique Imagery Company

This stuff has been around for awhile, but the systems get better and better. What I'm trying to say is that anything you do to your property that you think won't be seen,is a false hope.

This system also gives me multiple years of photos for the same site. I can see when you put in an addition, changed the garden, reroofed your home...you get the point. I can see who owns the property, taxes and house value in some areas.

I have friend near by that I know is a prep'r, and will show him what others can see as he changed his property. He spent some good money to bury some things, and now everyone with a program like this knows exactly where it is. He put in a "tornado shelter" and a shed with a secret basement that the entire world could see. The picture was taken during construction in one year and after it was done the next year with ground cover......You can also follow the changes in grass color to identify the underground propane tank location. In the prior year, the propane tank was above ground. The current year, there is just a filling port for the underground tank and change in the shape of the ground.

So keep this in mind when you are doing something you don't want the world to know. Keep it covered or camo'd so the eyes above have a tougher time figuring out what you are doing.

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I ran the change finder on some properties in the area since my last post.

I can see septic, landscaping changes and home or building additions in about 5 seconds per property I looked at.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    hang on, i'm gonna go out back and hold out my "little finger" and see if you can see that. my wife has been trying to find it for years so she would appreciate the help. but on a serious note, don't look at me or i'll shoot the satellite!

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Guys I hate to break it to you but the military/gov't has had this technology for years. I actually left a job for a new job yesterday. The previous job was dealing with 2 orthophotos that were specific angles to view in 3D with glasses. Our GIS was 3D features extracted from these photos that looks exactly like what this pictometry product looks like.

Microsoft's version of Google Earth has images taken from similar angles as well.

I can definitely see the good and the evil in this type of data. I may use this for my new job. Sounds and looks interesting.

longbow, we may have something in common. Are you working with a GIS on a regular basis?

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    So I looked further into what Microsoft has been using for at least 3 years now. Pictometry is the producer of their "Bird's Eye" View that they have offered for a while. I always used it for work instead of Google Earth for a 2nd reference on features because of the detail but when street view came out, I stopped using it.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    It's time to start doing "yard work" at night! Maybe we should look into a group by for camo netting. Kidding aside, that kind of technology is useful in the right hands.

We need a tin foil hat emotiocon:dunno:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Guys I hate to break it to you but the military/gov't has had this technology for years. I actually left a job for a new job yesterday. The previous job was dealing with 2 orthophotos that were specific angles to view in 3D with glasses. Our GIS was 3D features extracted from these photos that looks exactly like what this pictometry product looks like.

Microsoft's version of Google Earth has images taken from similar angles as well.

I can definitely see the good and the evil in this type of data. I may use this for my new job. Sounds and looks interesting.

longbow, we may have something in common. Are you working with a GIS on a regular basis?

At least 30 min each day, sometimes more.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    It's time to start doing "yard work" at night! Maybe we should look into a group by for camo netting. Kidding aside, that kind of technology is useful in the right hands.

We need a tin foil hat emotiocon:dunno:

The guy I bought my house off of did a lot of the underground work at night according to some of the journals he left. The inscriptions in the concrete at one of the entrances is dated 1954. I would hope this sort of technology doesn't go back that far. But I guess I can always dig new underground areas from the existing underground areas and carry the dirt out in my briefcase each morning.

Top Bottom