• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I'm working to finish up my first AR build, just waiting on final parts & assembly. I was planning to pin/weld the muzzle device myself, but I think I'd rather have a pro do it so I don't accidentally screw it up. Anyone have any recommended shops / gunsmiths in the Indy area, or more specifically the SW Indy / Mooresville / Plainfield area?

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    Echelon,
    I ended up having to do my own drill and pin (on a SBR).
    Then I found a welding shop and they did a quick 2 drops of welding rod on the hole and I filed it down and blued it.

I guess my point is; you will find a lot of welding shops that will do what I had done, but it is very hard to find a gunsmith to do the whole thing. AT least within the next 6 weeks.

louielouie

p.s. I have found that the more I try to do on my own, the more I am able to do.

p.p.s. There is a great gunsmith in Columbus; Gary Growe.

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Excuse my ignorance , but is this necessary after the assault weapons expiration?
    And on an NFA weapon to boot?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Excuse my ignorance , but is this necessary after the assault weapons expiration?
    And on an NFA weapon to boot?

If you have an NFA SBR, no.

If you have a 14.5 inch barrel (generally an M4 sized barrel) yes, the flash hider must be a permanent fixture to get you to the legal 16 inch barrel length.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    louielouie, thanks, like I said before I had planned to do it myself, but i'm not that experienced welding, maybe I do what you did, do the drill and pin, then take it somewhere to be welded.

To the others, yes, I have a 14.5" barrel, no SBR stamp, so I need my compensator welded.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    A decent weld shop should be able to TIG it for you in a couple of minutes. No spatter or slag to clean up like if it were stick or wire welded. If you do it on the bottom of the FH, you may not even bother with filing and refinishing!

Top Bottom