• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMNewton69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Im wanting to get a new pistol and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've narrowed it down to three. Walther PPQ 9mm, Glock 20c, XD 45 Tactical. If anyone has any positives out negatives on any of these guns let me know. This is going to be a carry/ plinking gun. The price of 10mm isn't really a concern for the G20. Anyways let me know what you think. Thanks

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    What, if any, handguns to you currently have, or have experience with? Have you had a carry gun before, or is this going to be your first? A little background here would be very helpful, the choices you are looking at are all pretty good, but all a bit different in characteristics.

eeadams

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Fishers
    I bought the PPQ in .40 and it's my new favorite! Got it because it felt better than any gun I've held in my hand. No problems through the first 1000 rounds.

schmeed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    10mm packs a punch and it's expensive (no matter what you think about price). You could consider renting each of those and trying them out.

Indy Trading Post had a good deal going on for a rental and range time.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Im wanting to get a new pistol and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've narrowed it down to three. Walther PPQ 9mm, Glock 20c, XD 45 Tactical. If anyone has any positives out negatives on any of these guns let me know. This is going to be a carry/ plinking gun. The price of 10mm isn't really a concern for the G20. Anyways let me know what you think. Thanks

Limited to the 3 you listed, I would pick the XD. I already reload 45 and that would be the primary reason. Given my past Glock experience, the G20 would be tempting, though I would likely get a G21 if I wanted a big-bore Glock. I do not like Walther pistols because of the goofy mag release.

However, if it were my money and I was planning on a striker fired hi-cap pistol, it would be a FNH FNS-9.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've only seen two significant bad things about the PPQ. One is some people have to adjust their grip on it from other guns because they accidentally thumb the slide release during and fire and keep it from locking on empty. Big whoop. The other, and much more significant, is the QC guys liked it so much they put white blotches on the metal finish of some batches and it doesn't come out. Some forum lurkers termed it the Monica Lewisnki finish. Just strip and inspect the finish before you accept if you go with PPQ. I've heard they're just as reliable as the other two, and the trigger is the best of the bunch, but borderline too light for carry (but that'd be your personal preference). I've also seen people complain about the grip and angle of Glocks, but PPQ fits ridiculously well in most hands.

Go shoot them :)

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    PPQ is the 1 I would choose out of the three. Oh disclaimer, I have owned one for almost a year now. Only issue is that I'm left-hand and sometimes the slide does not lock back for me because my strong-hand thumb is in the way of the slide release. No biggie for me though.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would not use a compensated gun for carry.

I dislike XD's as I don't care for the grip safety, it's a deal breaker for me.

The PPQ is a great gun, over 2k rounds through it so far and it has got nothing but better, is supremely accurate, and very high quality. Like someone else mentioned, trigger is border line too light for carry.

Why are you choosing between so many different types of guns? They are all nothing alike. I'd also add glock 19/17 to your list, as well as the M&Ps if you don't already have them.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Have'nt owned a G20 in 10mm yet. But would definitely go with the Glock. Maybe the G19 in 9mm. "Big enough to fight with and small enough to carry". Thats a quote from an instructor I saw on this site. Forgot his name, but like the quote. Check out a G19. :):

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The glock 20c is fantastic, I've had mine for a few years now, and it's my favorite of the glock lineup. The gun truly is built specifically for the 10mm and it was not an after thought, like in most other cases. The porting works fantastically, and I've never had issues with muzzle flash, I've also not had the front sight get gunked up that bad unless I've ran an obscene amount of dirty ammo.

It's an awkward one to CC, but if you can get the right holster, it's going to be a great solid choice you'll never regret.

You'll spend the rest of your days bored with other guns and coming back to it every time you want the "best" of everything in a handgun. Certainly is a comforting thing when you get stuck in a bad part of town, having 16 rounds on tap with 200gr XTPs cooking off around 1200fps, with almost zero muzzle rise.

Keep in mind when it comes to the porting, it's still a duty based gun, it is not a gaming gun. The porting is not like a huge chambered 1911 comp. All it does it vents in a V to the sides of the front sight, and if you see much of a muzzle flash, it'll just be a dark red. It's not going to send any powder or blast back in your face unless you stare down the ports when you're shooting. Which isn't advised.

Last edited:

redhead

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Stick with the 1911, SIG's new "Fast Back" models are comfortable and can tell you they shoot nice. Heck with high mag capacity, that adds a lot of weight. 8 rounds of 230 JHP should do the job!
    Find a gun that fits and you can shoot I guess is the bottom line, everybody's going to have a opinion of what works. Mine happens to be the 1911.

"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now." —Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

John Wayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    XD fan myself! Owned a glock 21 for many years,however i have nothing
    negative to say about a glock besides their ugly! However the XD just fit me
    So much better than the glock and my shooting improved drastically with the Xd from day one.

Top Bottom