• ...and so much more!
  • ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Ok,

I just got an APEX kit for my M&P and the rear sight on my gun is WAY to tight to try and safely drive out. Does anyone have a sight tool I could borrow for ten minutes?

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    Just did this on my M&P 40. The set screw was put in with lock tite. Heating it up with a soldering iron will break down the lock tite and allow the screw to come out without stripping it. After that it was easy to knock the sight out with a brass drift.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Just did this on my M&P 40. The set screw was put in with lock tite. Heating it up with a soldering iron will break down the lock tite and allow the screw to come out without stripping it. After that it was easy to knock the sight out with a brass drift.

The screw is not the problem it loosened up just fine without problem. It is just that the sight is locked up inside the dovetail. I marked the sight with a pencil to see if it moved and also to get it back to the right spot on reinstall. I cut an oak block the right size to fit the base of the dovetail then smacked the block several times with a hammer and it has not budged!........Yes the set screw is setting on the workbench so it is not the screw.

I do not have a brass punch since that is still on my list of things to get. I have a set of steel punches but don't really want to risk messing up the finish with the steel punches. I do have an alluminum dowel that I thought about using but didn't know hardness wise how it compared with the brass and if it would mess up the finish.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have a sight pusher. You will need to drive to Brown County to use it. You might try putting the slide in the deep freeze for a day then use a drift punch. It should drift out.

THis is a great idea. I've been unhappy with my front sight on my Shield, but I don't want to take it to a smith - it's slightly off-center. maybe I'll try this cold method. (on mine, the front sight is very tight, and I've tried on 2 occasions with a punch and a hammer))

Just cold you think

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    To the OP, I was also going to suggest heat -- a lot of heat.
    If it has the hi-temp thread-loc, it needs to get very warm to loosen.

Aren't there multiple videos and specific suggestions on Youtube for this exact problem on this exact gun?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The sights on my shield were almost welded in place. I bought a pusher from The Glock Store for about fifty bucks. I have since replaced the pusher with a hardened version and added the blocks for additional pistols.

Universal and well worth the money. He has upgraded the design several times to what is now a nice setup.

Fisher Solutions - Home - El Cajon, CA

The price might have gone up a little.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    21oz framing hammer, brass punch, and a LOT more beating then I have ever had to put into a sight and it finally broke loose and started moving....had to grind and reprofile the punch twice but finally got it installed... Thanks to all for the help!

Top Bottom