• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When it comes to self defense, carry what you shoot best. If you can't hit the target in a defensive situation because the gun doesn't fit you, then why bother. I carry a Browning Hi-Power because that is what I shoot best. I love revolvers but I don't shoot them as well.

It must be very reliable. What ever you choose, make sure that the ammo and the gun work together. That is easier to achieve with a revolver. The revolver is a much simpler mechanism and therefore is more reliable. It is also easier to clean and so you will take better care of it.

Practice. Practice. Practice.
    It is your target gun for awhile. Use dry fire exercises for drawing with various cover garments. Learn to move and shoot. Learn to reload while moving. Learn to use cover.

This is serious business so learn to do it right.

Don

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    A revolver is a good answer for home defense where you don't have to try to hide it. If you are going to carry for personal protection, while I do carry a S&W M637 as a backup, consider this: most folks that you are going to try to protect yourself against that are carrying guns will have more than 5 shots to shoot back should a gun conflict arise.

When a local gun shop got robbed, and there were several firearms taken, I realized that every single gun taken had a higher capacity than anything I carried! Those guns are going to end up in the hands of who? Law abiding citizens? Um, not likely!

Get a semi auto and learn how to work the machine, since that is all it is. Do clearing drills until you become proficient with doing so. Have someone put a dummy round in the magazine and learn how to clear it.

And, for those that say that a revolver never jams, well, they certainly haven't shot one much. Even the best can have problems because of dirt or unfired powder. When a piece of sand gets under the ejector star it will tie the gun up so tight that you may have to use a mallet to get it apart. Seen that more than once too.

When you do purchase a semi-auto for CCW, get a good one. For most folks, that means they are going to have to spend more than they originally thought. For my first choice, a good one means a Glock, Sig Saur, H&K and maybe a Beretta or Springfield XD.

If you are a larger fellow/female, you might be able to conceal a Glock 21 as I can, if not, you certainly can go to the other end and do so with a Glock 26 or 27.

Just remember, pulling the trigger is only one part of the equation, learning how to run the machine is another part as well as WHEN to use it.

FWIW

msuspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    Skip is correct on that. I learned on a 1911 in the army. I learned it inside and out from an armourer.
    Revolvers are very reliable but I like the extra ammo in a conflict situation.
    But then again, I am partial to semi's.

Also train, train and train some more. I was in Grenada and was in a firefight that got too close. When it was over I found I had spent three clips of .45 and do not remember loading at all. I am partial to the .45 but then again I learned on it.

Good luck and shoot straight Mate!!

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    A revolver is a good answer for home defense where you don't have to try to hide it. If you are going to carry for personal protection, while I do carry a S&W M637 as a backup, consider this: most folks that you are going to try to protect yourself against that are carrying guns will have more than 5 shots to shoot back should a gun conflict arise.

When a local gun shop got robbed, and there were several firearms taken, I realized that every single gun taken had a higher capacity than anything I carried! Those guns are going to end up in the hands of who? Law abiding citizens? Um, not likely!

Get a semi auto and learn how to work the machine, since that is all it is. Do clearing drills until you become proficient with doing so. Have someone put a dummy round in the magazine and learn how to clear it.

And, for those that say that a revolver never jams, well, they certainly haven't shot one much. Even the best can have problems because of dirt or unfired powder. When a piece of sand gets under the ejector star it will tie the gun up so tight that you may have to use a mallet to get it apart. Seen that more than once too.

When you do purchase a semi-auto for CCW, get a good one. For most folks, that means they are going to have to spend more than they originally thought. For my first choice, a good one means a Glock, Sig Saur, H&K and maybe a Beretta or Springfield XD.

If you are a larger fellow/female, you might be able to conceal a Glock 21 as I can, if not, you certainly can go to the other end and do so with a Glock 26 or 27.

Just remember, pulling the trigger is only one part of the equation, learning how to run the machine is another part as well as WHEN to use it.

FWIW

+1 going to have to agree here.

What ever you get train yourself with it. There are firearms out there with all kinds of different safeties to learn. Pick what YOU are comfortable with that fits YOUR needs. Then train, train, train. If you like the autos and want to use them, get one that fits you well. I now carry a Kahr pm40 for the simplicity of just pulling the trigger. It is DAO like many of your pocket revolvers. It is a snappy little gun but it doesnt bother me a bit. I got it because a guy bought it and took it right back because he didnt realize how the gun would shoot. If you can, try before you buy. If you are ever in my area you are more than welcome to try a few I have. I am sure others here are the same way and are willing to help someone find what works for them. If not head to a range and try many different firearms till you find what works best for you and makes you comfortable. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think the slimness advantage on the semi auto is over blown unless you are talking about a gun like an LCP or PF9 type slim gun.

While its true the cylinder portion of a revolver is generally thicker than most slides on a semi auto, its such a small portion of the revolver. The thinness of the barrel and grip imo far outweigh the thickness of that one small portion.

I have a Taurus model 66, its my favorite gun, the one I shoot the best, and the most comfortable for me to shoot. However its a 6" barrel so I would never carry it. I know they make them in smaller barrel lengths and someday I may get a .357 7 shot in a 2 or 3 inch barrel size.

But right now I carry a pf9 every day. 8 rounds of 9mm in a very small package. Its not particularly fun to shoot at the range, but for its intended purpose it works.

If I had to pick one gun and one gun only for everything I would go with a officer size 1911, but the next one would be a revolver.

Now as far as amount of ammo, if you need more than 7 shots of a full bore .357 or 7 shots of .45acp, good luck because the assailant is going to be on you already anyway. Is 19 rounds of 9mm nice to have? Yeah I guess, but kinda overblown imo.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Get both. I love my 642 for back-up or those times I want to REALLY conceal my pistol. I have a G27 and a G22 w/TLR1 light for other times. The snubbie is accurate, rugged, and reliable. .38+P is a good defense round. I sold my P3AT for my 642. No regrets. Larger capacity handguns are better for gunfights.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am considering getting a handgun (target practice in short term, maybe OC and/or CC in the future), and I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of a pistol and revolver are.

Does it come down to capacity (pistol) vs ruggedness (revolver)? Obviously, some pistols hold as much or only slightly more rounds than a revolver (such as the M1911), but I'm talking in more general terms.

Well, revolvers VERY rarely jam. Semi auto's can, especially when crud gets in behind the slide.

Carrying 5 or 6 rounds vs those who carry 18 (tis what my semi auto holds). Well, most folks are never gonna need to use 18 in a self defense situation.

But if you ever do, it's NICE to have em.

Wit that all said, I am considering a nice little wheel gun for CC....:)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think the slimness advantage on the semi auto is over blown unless you are talking about a gun like an LCP or PF9 type slim gun.

While its true the cylinder portion of a revolver is generally thicker than most slides on a semi auto, its such a small portion of the revolver. The thinness of the barrel and grip imo far outweigh the thickness of that one small portion.

I have a Taurus model 66, its my favorite gun, the one I shoot the best, and the most comfortable for me to shoot. However its a 6" barrel so I would never carry it. I know they make them in smaller barrel lengths and someday I may get a .357 7 shot in a 2 or 3 inch barrel size.

But right now I carry a pf9 every day. 8 rounds of 9mm in a very small package. Its not particularly fun to shoot at the range, but for its intended purpose it works.

If I had to pick one gun and one gun only for everything I would go with a officer size 1911, but the next one would be a revolver.

Now as far as amount of ammo, if you need more than 7 shots of a full bore .357 or 7 shots of .45acp, good luck because the assailant is going to be on you already anyway. Is 19 rounds of 9mm nice to have? Yeah I guess, but kinda overblown imo.

i would agree. I can only see the high capacity being useful if you got jumped by a large group...but how many shots are you going to get off anyway?

The biggest advantage of higher capacity guns? Less down time reloading at the range...more time shooting zombie bin laden targets.......:D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The capacity debate in the auto vs revolver comparison is almost as epic as the 9mm vs .40 vs .45

I like the saying that those who have been in a gunfight never wished they had brought a smaller gun with fewer bullets. On a certain 1911 forum several guys were arguing the merits of carrying a 9mm with 17+ and their reasoning was "most self-defense situations usually involve 2 shots or less." To that I asked why they didn't carry a 2-shot Derringer... I didn't get too many replies to that.

As others have said, if you are going to carry it for self-defense you need to learn to work it, clear jams, deal with misfires, double-feeds, stuck cylinders, high primers and light primer strikes...and how to reload the gun quickly and efficiently no matter if it's a wheel gun or an auto.

Top Bottom