• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah. The only way that .38 is going to be knocking somebody down is if you tape it to the front of a car and run somebody over.

IME, an old M&P used to pistol whip a rival biker gang member works really well too . . . just going by the photos (it bent the triggerguard).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have an old Colt .38 detective Sp. It will blow a hole in about anything you shoot with it. Do not underestimate the ballistics of a +P .38 round. From our impromptu testing I think if a choice was to be had, shoot me with a 9MM. I would rather not but if I had a choice.
    Just saying.....;)

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    The main point the OP was trying to get across - or at least as I understand it - is the same one mentioned in introductory remarks of nearly every pistol course I can remember. Paraphrased, it was expressed as, "Guys, handguns are ballistically inferior to long guns". A truism that to me barely warrants mention, yet is perhaps necessary to place or keep the subject within the proper concept of self-defense. This acknowledged, the course can proceed to the main reasons for our being there - including, but not limited to - nomenclature, safety/handling, loading/unloading, marksmanship, applications, etc.

Put another way, ...
    A long gun does a lot more damage than a knife or a hand gun. ...
    In general in a self defense situation I will take a long gun over a knife or a handgun any day.
    Likewise here. This aside, the students can then focus on acquiring skill and proficiency with their sidearms, as in many cases that will be the most likely implement to have available in a given situation. (Depending on one's own circumstances.)

(for entertainment)
    While browsing the threads or witnessing the (IMO) senseless arguments between some gun owners over various topics, especially pistol calibers, I'm often reminded of this old jingle:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyt6byJP3Ac"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyt6byJP3Ac[/ame]

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    recognize that the guy talking about 1911's having a 100 yr history of sucking used a wink at the end of the sentence, a reference to the video posted also a credit to the 100yrs of the 1911, so take no offense.
    ^^^^^this^^^^^

I had a feeling someone may get riled up over that comment.

Guess there's no jokin' about weapons whose reputation stand for themselves.
    Most of us aren't experts, I am no exception.

Apparently I'm no comedian either.:dunno:

Oh, and a hi point is on my get list, in 45acp.:D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know only a few things for sure. A good knife will do more damage than a hand gun shot. A long gun does a lot more damage than a knife or a hand gun. Shot placement is more important than caliber, so shoot what you shoot best. And finally the four B's remain true, Big Bores Bust Better. In general in a self defense situation I will take a long gun over a knife or a handgun any day.

Not to get into a religious discussion as that would be against the rules. Just want to mention your comment suggests that you are not aware of the mass exodus the Catholic church has been suffering over the last few years. Stereotypes are not always accurate, that applies to guns as well as people.

It was just an analogy, nothing more. My wife retreated from the Catholics during all the father feel good trials. My kids both attended Catholic schools all the way from K through 12th. Not a religious reference just trying to stress a point. No stereotype intended.
    Every one has a reason either real or imagined for the choices they make.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ^^^^^this^^^^^

I had a feeling someone may get riled up over that comment.

Guess there's no jokin' about weapons whose reputation stand for themselves.
    Most of us aren't experts, I am no exception.

Apparently I'm no comedian either.:dunno:

Oh, and a hi point is on my get list, in 45acp.:D

I get your point. The caliber and brand wars rage on through these threads. What else can we debate.
    I am very tender hearted towards all 1911's. Learned to shoot pistol with my uncles Korean issue Colt at 12. He carried it through Viet Nam. I still have it. I still shoot it. It still shoots very well. It does have many notch's in the handle. Not real notch's but there is a number that can be attached to it.
    I have steel and plastic. Love them all.
    Personally I do not think pistols suck. They are a vital part of our training and defense. We are not short on rifles and shotty's either and do very well with them but the pistol is a first line defense piece. JMHO

Apology's for bringing the wrath of the Mod's upon us.

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    It was just an analogy, nothing more. My wife retreated from the Catholics during all the father feel good trials. My kids both attended Catholic schools all the way from K through 12th. Not a religious reference just trying to stress a point. No stereotype intended.
    Every one has a reason either real or imagined for the choices they make.

I was sure it was just analogy. And I hesitated to say anything for fear of making more out of it than it was. It was my clumsy attempt at making a point about stereotyping. By the way I'm also one of those Catholics that has a lot of anxiety over the conduct of the church in recent years.

Back to stereotyping. Those not well versed in the differences between 9mm and .45acp will often hear someone that served in the military and has experience with both calibers comment on how much better the .45acp is. Context needs to be stressed that in the military you are forced to use standard ball ammo. A 9mm with a good hollow point bullet becomes a much more effective round. So what I was eluding to was how certain stereotypes come to be by not having the whole story.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was sure it was just analogy. And I hesitated to say anything for fear of making more out of it than it was. It was my clumsy attempt at making a point about stereotyping. By the way I'm also one of those Catholics that has a lot of anxiety over the conduct of the church in recent years.

Back to stereotyping. Those not well versed in the differences between 9mm and .45acp will often hear someone that served in the military and has experience with both calibers comment on how much better the .45acp is. Context needs to be stressed that in the military you are forced to use standard ball ammo. A 9mm with a good hollow point bullet becomes a much more effective round. So what I was eluding to was how certain stereotypes come to be by not having the whole story.

Your statement is definitely a fact. I have spoken with several folks who are in a mindset that defends their caliber or brand choice. Heck even the vehicles they drive. I think most people are like that.
    Had I learned to shoot later in life from another military person it would have been a 9MM and I would more than likely be using it today. Personally, I do not want to be shot by anything north of a daisy BB gun let alone a 9MM. I taught my kids with a Browning .380 and they all still enjoy driving tacks with it.
    After reading and posting in these threads it has come to me that although I do love a .45 round, it is the 1911 platform that holds it which I am in love with. 50 yrs. is a long time with the same woman ahh, I mean gun.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Well this thread has definitely convinced me, I will now OC my Mosin instead of the CZ 75. I mean if the .40 isn't going to stop a BG then the 7.62x54r definitely will, man I hope I'm not attacked in my car. Use purple where you want.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    Well this thread has definitely convinced me, I will now OC my Mosin instead of the CZ 75. I mean if the .40 isn't going to stop a BG then the 7.62x54r definitely will, man I hope I'm not attacked in my car. Use purple where you want.

Purple? What you said sounds good to me. Just be ready to answer questions
    from lots of curious LEOs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

After you get off your one free shot in that old hard hitting bolt gun what then............................:rockwoot:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    IDK and IDC what the videos say, the title says enough.

Pistol = last line of offence (that doesn't have nerve endings)

Pistol = tool to get you to a long gun

And a gun writer or some such said it best (in my mind) "Any auto pistol cartridge is anemic at best when compared to even the smallest of centerfire rifle cartridges"

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    [STRIKE]Nope, I was one of those weird home schooled kids[/STRIKE]. I guess I will have to look up some simple HTML coding.. I will have a cool post coming one of these days soon!:D But hey now i know thanks!
    Haha, NP... Pretty sure it's in the FAQ or something like that... I know I read about it on here somewhere but can't be bothered at 3:42 AM to look for it.

Top Bottom