• ...and so much more!
  • Pit Bull Puppy

• Total voters

Hap Hazard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    I've met a lot of Pits and NEVER met one I'd trust around a small child.

If you need to ask, you've got your answer. Get a nice LITTLe dog.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    The dog in my avatar, near as we could tell was a Pit Bull Great Dane mix. He was the best dog I eve had and he was wonderful with children. We didn't pick him. Bad people tied him to a tree in my back yard and left him. He was underfed, flea bitten and mangy and we nursed him back to health and had a wonderful friend fir the five short years that we had him!
    That being said, I won't choose a Pit on propose. To many people too afraid. Too many lawyers waiting to sue you. There are other great dogs to choose from that don't carry the baggage.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I've met a lot of Pits and NEVER met one I'd trust around a small child.

If you need to ask, you've got your answer. Get a nice LITTLe dog.
    Mine was more trustworthy around children than the Lab I have now, but the fact that people like you are so afraid (that really isn't meant as an insult) is the reason I won't get another.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Just research the breed and plan on having some good debates to defend your dog now and then. I have advocated for the breed many times over the years. I have had 42 Pit Bull Terriers. I have bought them from trunks of cars and fresh out of basements. I've seen ripped ears, broken legs, some nasty stuff. Dog fighting is gross, I hate it. I have worked with three different rescue leagues. Out of 42 rescue dogs I put one down because of people aggression, he couldn't hear.

As for the animal aggression a Pit Bull won't be unless turned on to fighting. But do know that if a dog attacks yours, he will win. Aslong as they don't know to fight they won't. But you have to remember this is the most athletic creature on the planet. They have taken on every other breed of dog and have won. They have taken full size bulls down by the nose. They have been baited against Lions, Tigers, Bears, and to this day are known to be a great tool in wild bore hunting.

Last edited:

mrman740

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Portage
    Are we talking about a "pitbull" or a true APBT. (American Pit Bull Terrier) There is a difference.

Just remember, APBT's (real ones, not those monsters bred with other dogs, ie; mastiffs, dogo's, presa's, etc...) were bred for other dog and/or animal aggression. My only advice is to make certain it is not a "game bred" dog, you would never be able to bring another dog/animal around it due to the inbred instinct for aggression towards other animals. APBT's are not dogs that can run around loose without a leash, in other words, forget about dog parks, watch out for open doors/gates, etc. Not only for the protection of other animals, but for the dog themselves. There are lots of people out there just waiting to destroy a "menacing looking beast" just because of an owners carelessness. My vote, if you want an APBT, read up, and do your homework! They are a handful. Make sure it has room for exercise because it'll need it. And make sure that yard is APBT escape proof! (they are very determined dogs, if they want to escape, believe me, they'll find a way!)

My dog Lucky is a big baby, but I know his tolerances towards other dogs. He gets along great with my cat and my baby neices and nephew, I know this because I am ALWAYS around when they're interacting. Remember, animals are animals, you can never fully trust them. Like someone wise already said, it's not the breed, it's the owner...

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The only thing you have to worry about a pit bull or any other dog that has a little weight to them is them accidentally scratching or knocking the kid down. They are great with kids. Just teach them to stay clear of the little one

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Call Ceaser Milan, he will tell you it aint the dog it's the frickin person training the dog. 99% of dogs can be rehabilitated and a person trained to be the leader of the pack

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Just research the breed and plan on having some good debates to defend your dog now and then. I have advocated for the breed many times over the years. I have had 42 Pit Bull Terriers. I have bought them from trunks of cars and fresh out of basements. I've seen ripped ears, broken legs, some nasty stuff. Dog fighting is gross, I hate it. I have worked with three different rescue leagues. Out of 42 rescue dogs I put one down because of people aggression, he couldn't hear.

As for the animal aggression a Pit Bull won't be unless turned on to fighting. But do know that if a dog attacks yours, he will win. Aslong as they don't know to fight they won't. But you have to remember this is the most athletic creature on the planet. They have taken on every other breed of dog and have won. They have taken full size bulls down by the nose. They have been baited against Lions, Tigers, Bears, and to this day are known to be a great tool in wild bore hunting.

In reference to the bold, I'm simply going to say "it depends on what dog he's fighting".

As for the rest of it, I couldn't agree more. Pits are a fantastic breed of dog, and the reputation they bear is a device of human creation, not one of natural inclination.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    But do know that if a dog attacks yours, he will win.

CaneCorsoSecuritySystem1.jpg

Caucasian_Shepherd_Temprament.jpg

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If you find a good, reputable breeder and invest some time to train the dog, you should be OK. However, if you're thinking rescue, don't chance it. You have no idea what their genetic make up might bring.

Since you're a fan of small dogs, get one of those purse creatures that look like dogs.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The 2 best dogs I have ever met were Pits. I used to play sand volleyball on Thursday with a group of people, at a park full of kids. Neither pit was ever leashed, neither pit was ever aggressive towards my dog, or any other dog that was brought.

In fact, my Golden Retriever/Australian Shepard mix bit a 3 year old there while both pits were there.

Before anyone jumps my ass about that, she was dangling pizza in his face and when he got ahold of it she pulled it back and he went for a better grip. It wasnt on purpose.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    TRAINING is the key. I had a rottweiler: big baby. I have a pit: big baby.
    I had a lab: big baby.
    I'm no trainer by any sense of the word. Be consistent and firm and you'll have a wonderful companion.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I am confident that Dallas would never harm Haley or Ariana, however if a stranger appoaches one of them he is not nearly as freindly.
    If you like him and can handle him I would say go for it. Understand that they do take alot of attention and like anything else in life, if you want something good (a dog) you have to work for it (or with it).
    "He wont even pull the girls off their feet, but he drags me all over."
    27wvpqd.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I am confident that Dallas would never harm Haley or Ariana, however if a stranger appoaches one of them he is not nearly as freindly.
    If you like him and can handle him I would say go for it. Understand that they do take alot of attention and like anything else in life, if you want something good (a dog) you have to work for it (or with it).
    "He wont even pull the girls off their feet, but he drags me all over."
    27wvpqd.jpg

Look at that savage beast trying to steal that rope from those two innocent girls!:rolleyes:

Handsome dog, BTW...He looks like a biggun!

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    I voted "you will be fine", I don't need to explain further. Here is mine in full maul mode. Found her under a bridge in Oregon by herself when she was a few weeks old.

IMG_4822.jpg

Top Bottom