• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    We've raised our Golden Retriever very well. Once we had kids, she has become quite protective of our family. I don't particularly consider that a bad thing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The dog topics have now reached the level of predictability of 9mm vs. .45ACP, 1911 vs. Glock, Open Carry, and churchmouse vs. Father Time.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In

Somebody page T.Lex

After regretting not logging in over the weekend, I'm just standing in the back of the room, arms folded, nodding my head.

(Doing my best KF impersonation.) ;)

ETA:
    IMHO, OP shoulda shot the dog if the dog deserved shooting.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    First, Pitt bulls were called Nanny dogs, because they were so good with kids. IT TAKES A HUMAN TO MAKE A DOG MEAN! I would not hesitate to shoot a dog like the OP encountered. No dog is born bad or mean, it takes a person to do that to them. Once the dog is bad or viscous, they have to be dealt with.

in the words of wikipedia, [CITATION NEEDED]

Other than Pit Bull appologist websites, all I see is explanations of this as a myth. Unless you can cite material from mid 20th century or earlier that has this as a reference, I'll consider this myth busted.

Don't be a history revisionist, pit bull terriers were bred for bull baiting (i.e. blood sport). No matter how sweet and lovable your pit bull is, you can't change history to suit your impression of your dog.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    First, Pitt bulls were called Nanny dogs, because they were so good with kids. IT TAKES A HUMAN TO MAKE A DOG MEAN! I would not hesitate to shoot a dog like the OP encountered. No dog is born bad or mean, it takes a person to do that to them. Once the dog is bad or viscous, they have to be dealt with.

Not true. I have known dog breeders who have came across bad blood lines where every puppy from certain liters of males were mean, and aggressive from the start, they became fighters and too aggressive. Result was those males were not bred anymore. I think they just called it bad blood line and it happens and has nothing to do with how well a human treats them.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Not true. I have known dog breeders who have came across bad blood lines where every puppy from certain liters of males were mean, and aggressive from the start, they became fighters and too aggressive. Result was those males were not bred anymore. I think they just called it bad blood line and it happens and has nothing to do with how well a human treats them.
    Temperament is definitely a genetic trait. There was a Discovery Channel type show with this Russian breeder breading bomb sniffing dogs. He did an experiment were he would breed the mean dogs with the mean dogs and the ones with the pleasant temperament with like dogs. The difference was very apparent.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Our 12 year old pit bull is one of the best dogs I've ever known. I'll always have a place in my heart for pit bulls. That said, it isn't always the way they are raised. It can be genetic, as stated above, or even a combination of bad genes and bad raising/training. Dogs can suffer from anxiety, and recently, I saw a study about bipolar in dogs. We probably all know of a situation where the parents did the best job they could, but the child turned out to be a POS. Same with dogs.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Temperament is definitely a genetic trait. There was a Discovery Channel type show with this Russian breeder breading bomb sniffing dogs. He did an experiment were he would breed the mean dogs with the mean dogs and the ones with the pleasant temperament with like dogs. The difference was very apparent.

The same dude that bred foxes like that?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Now that I think back, the temperament experiment may have been a different breeder then the bomb sniffing dogs. I think it was the "The Science of Dogs".

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    dropped my grandson off at a house in so. parke co. small town that he and my daughter had just moved into. neighbors across the street have 3 pits that bark constantly. as i walk to the car and open the door i hear a dog come out growling and barking coming at me. i turn and and jump on the running boards of the SUV and the dog has me by the pants leg shaking me like a rag doll. my left arm on top the car and my right hand pulling my 45. im tangled up in my shirt and shake the dog loose (im concealed rethinking open carry) dog runs around front of the car and i put a round in the gravel between his front feet. should have killed the dog but i can hear coming in from behind me someone screaming and dont know if hes armed or what. i turn to face him as the chicken **** dog is running for the house. my daughter called the law and the guy gets a ticket for dogs runnting at large and has to keep the dog quarentined 10 days. im allready regreting not not killing the efin dog when i had the chanch.
    I'm surprised .gov didn't put it down for you

Top Bottom