• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I just left PSS and will never go back again. I have bought most of my guns from him over the years and have strayed very little.

I went in there today and wow, I was almost knocked over by the cigarette smoke rolling out of there. I needed a 9mm brush and didn't feel like going somewhere else since it was freezing cold and I hate being out in the cold.

So between not being able to breathe in there and barley able to walk because there is more product on the floor than on the shelf I have decided I'm done with them. That and I could barely get up to the counter because of all the people hanging out talking.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Was that the first time you've had that experience in there? I've never been there, but I've heard that to be the case all the time. Were there more smokers this time?

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    No I have been in there countless times. I have noticed the last few times in there that things were getting worse or I was just noticing it more. I am a former smoker and usually don't have an issue with the smoke smell but man it was bad.

There are a few employees there I like dealing with but the rest could go to the unemployment line. There was a former Marine Recon older fellow that was awesome but I haven't seen him in a while. Then there is a guy that looks like Bob's brother but nicer. They are the two that I like dealing with.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    lol, I love this place, it's one of the few places I can walk in with a cigarette in my mouth. Always smoking, singing..........I'm just waiting for him to pull a jug of moonshine out. I bet it does bug non smokers........but I doubt if the rules ever change as long as Bob owns the store. He is as common as an old shoe, set in his ways and too old to change.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Bob is great Yes if you go expect to deal with the smoke, but I will take that any day over dealing with some of the arrogance I have encountered at the gun shop over on 67.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Like the place, like Bob. A lot of smoke in the air irritates my lungs and throat even for a relatively short exposure time. Once or twice it's been so smoky in there that I've told them that I'm stepping out for a while when they're calling in my 4473. Always a workaround, I guess.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Bob is great Yes if you go expect to deal with the smoke, but I will take that any day over dealing with some of the arrogance I have encountered at the gun shop over on 67.
    Exactly

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Not all counties. Private clubs are also exempt in many cases.

State law applies to all counties.

IC 7.1-5-12-4
    Places smoking is prohibited; duties of employers and person in charge of a place of employment or public place Sec. 4. (a) Except as provided in section 5 of this chapter, smoking is prohibited in the following:
    (1) A public place.
    (2) A place of employment.
    (3) A vehicle owned, leased, or operated by the state if the vehicle is being used for a governmental function.
    (4) The area within eight (8) feet of a public entrance to:
    (A) a public place; or
    (B) a place of employment.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Plainfield? Doesn't Indiana have a law against it?

Was wondering the same thing though.

Indiana doesn't have that law. You can still smoke in the bars in Danville. I think PSS is a private club of like minded individuals made up of former military veterans and their guests.....add purple where needed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I go see Bob and his crew when I know what I want and know that he has it.
    A simple phone call, a 25 minute drive, a good conversation with Bob and the crew and I am out the door new purchase in hand and a smile on my face. Pricing is the best I have found.
    No knock on the LGS over on 67 but the atmosphere is different in there and the pricing is a bit higher. I will contend with the smoke.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I stopped in there a while back. Was looking for several sizes of brass, they had none of what I was looking for. Smoke was bad, but I get along with it just fine, the trouble is, my wife is highly allergic to the smoke and she would have to stay in the truck.

And the smoking law does exist, and pss is not a "private club". It is open to the public and it is a place of employment. Just just because Bob is "good old Bob" and stuck in his ways, doesn't make him above any certain law. I have to put up with that law for a place that isn't normally a walk in public business, and we have around 50 employees in a nearly open air environment.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have bought guns from PSS but the last few times I have been in there I thought everything was very high, it makes a nice stop to browse, but I don't find myself walking out with anything anymore...

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    State law applies to all counties.

IC 7.1-5-12-4
    Places smoking is prohibited; duties of employers and person in charge of a place of employment or public place Sec. 4. (a) Except as provided in section 5 of this chapter, smoking is prohibited in the following:
    (1) A public place.
    (2) A place of employment.
    (3) A vehicle owned, leased, or operated by the state if the vehicle is being used for a governmental function.
    (4) The area within eight (8) feet of a public entrance to:
    (A) a public place; or
    (B) a place of employment.

And here is that section 5 your above posts speaks of, you can read it but I just don't have time.
    IC 7.1-5-12-5
    Exceptions to smoking ban; signage; areas where smoking is prohibited in exempted premises; verified statement
    Sec. 5. (a) Except as provided in subsection (c) and subject to section 13 of this chapter, smoking may be allowed in the following:
    (1) A horse racing facility operated under a permit under IC 4-31-5 and any other permanent structure on land owned or leased by the owner of the facility that is adjacent to the facility.
    (2) A riverboat (as defined in IC 4-33-2-17) and any other permanent structure that is:
    (A) owned or leased by the owner of the riverboat; and
    (B) located on land that is adjacent to:
    (i) the dock to which the riverboat is moored; or
    (ii) the land on which the riverboat is situated in the case of a riverboat described in IC 4-33-2-17(2).
    (3) A facility that operates under a gambling game license under IC 4-35-5 and any other permanent structure on land owned or leased by the owner of the facility that is adjacent to the facility.
    (4) A satellite facility licensed under IC 4-31-5.5.
    (5) An establishment owned or leased by a business that meets the following requirements:
    (A) The business was in business and permitted smoking on December 31, 2012.
    (B) The business prohibits entry by an individual who is less than twenty-one (21) years of age.
    (C) The owner or operator of the business holds a beer, liquor, or wine retailer's permit.
    (D) The business limits smoking in the establishment to either:
    (i) cigar smoking; or
    (ii) smoking with a waterpipe or hookah device.
    (E) During the preceding calendar year, at least ten percent (10%) of the business's annual gross income was from:
    (i) the sale of cigars and the rental of onsite humidors; or
    (ii) the sale of loose tobacco for use in a waterpipe or hookah device.
    (F) The person in charge of the business posts in the establishment conspicuous signs that display the message that cigarette smoking is prohibited.
    (6) A premises owned or leased by and regularly used for the activities of a business that meets all of the following:

(A) The business is exempt from federal income taxation under 26 U.S.C. 501(c).
    (B) The business:
    (i) meets the requirements to be considered a club under IC 7.1-3-20-1; or
    (ii) is a fraternal club (as defined in IC 7.1-3-20-7).
    (C) The business provides food or alcoholic beverages only to its bona fide members and their guests.
    (D) The business, during a meeting of the business's members, voted within the previous two (2) years to allow smoking on the premises.
    (E) The business:
    (i) provides a separate, enclosed, designated smoking room or area that is adequately ventilated to prevent migration of smoke to nonsmoking areas of the premises;
    (ii) allows smoking only in the room or area described in item (i); and
    (iii) does not allow an individual who is less than eighteen (18) years of age to enter into the room or area described in item (i).
    (7) A retail tobacco store used primarily for the sale of tobacco products and tobacco accessories that meets the following requirements:
    (A) The owner or operator of the store held a valid tobacco sales certificate issued under IC 7.1-3-18.5 on June 30 2012.
    (B) The store prohibits entry by an individual who is less than eighteen (18) years of age.
    (C) The sale of products other than tobacco products and tobacco accessories is merely incidental.
    (D) The sale of tobacco products accounts for at least eighty-five percent (85%) of the store's annual gross sales.
    (E) Food or beverages are not sold for consumption on the premises, and there is not an area set aside for customers to consume food or beverages on the premises.
    (8) A bar or tavern:
    (A) for which a permittee holds:
    (i) a beer retailer's permit under IC 7.1-3-4;
    (ii) a liquor retailer's permit under IC 7.1-3-9; or
    (iii) a wine retailer's permit under IC 7.1-3-14;
    (B) that does not employ an individual who is less than eighteen (18) years of age;
    (C) that does not allow an individual who:
    (i) is less than twenty-one (21) years of age; and
    (ii) is not an employee of the bar or tavern;
    to enter any area of the bar or tavern; and
    (D) that is not located in a business that would otherwise be subject to this chapter.
    (9) A cigar manufacturing facility that does not offer retail sales.
    (10) A premises of a cigar specialty store to which all of thefollowing apply:
    (A) The owner or operator of the store held a valid tobacco sales certificate issued under IC 7.1-3-18.5 on June 30, 2012.
    (B) The sale of tobacco products and tobacco accessories account for at least fifty percent (50%) of the store's annual gross sales.
    (C) The store has a separate, enclosed, designated smoking room that is adequately ventilated to prevent migration of smoke to nonsmoking areas.
    (D) Smoking is allowed only in the room described in clause (C).
    (E) Individuals who are less than eighteen (18) years of age are prohibited from entering into the room described in clause (C).
    (F) Cigarette smoking is not allowed on the premises of the store.
    (G) The owner or operator of the store posts a conspicuous sign on the premises of the store that displays the message that cigarette smoking is prohibited.
    (H) Food or beverages are not sold for consumption on the premises, and there is not an area set aside for customers to consume food or beverages on the premises.
    (11) The premises of a business that is located in the business owner's private residence (as defined in IC 3-5-2-42.5) if the only employees of the business who work in the residence are the owner and other individuals who reside in the residence.
    (b) The owner, operator, manager, or official in charge of an establishment or premises in which smoking is allowed under this section shall post conspicuous signs in the establishment that read "WARNING: Smoking Is Allowed In This Establishment" or other similar language.
    (c) This section does not allow smoking in the following enclosed areas of an establishment or premises described in subsection (a)(1) through (a)(10):
    (1) Any hallway, elevator, or other common area where an individual who is less than eighteen (18) years of age is permitted.
    (2) Any room that is intended for use by an individual who is less than eighteen (18) years of age.
    (d) The owner, operator, or manager of an establishment or premises that is listed under subsection (a) and that allows smoking shall provide a verified statement to the commission that states that the establishment or premises qualifies for the exemption. The commission may require the owner, operator, or manager of an establishment or premises to provide documentation or additional information concerning the exemption of the establishment or premises.
    As added by P.L.141-2012, SEC.2.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom