• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flick1900

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Troy, IN
    I decided to change out my mainspring housing on my Kimber stainless TLE Ultra. I love my Kimbers, but the plastic has to go. Will do another one this weekend....:rockwoot:

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    For a top dollar, top quaility handgun, a plastic mainspring housing seems to cheapin the overall value of the pistol. I own a Rock Island 1911 and the mainspring housing is plastic, but I paid $400 for it. Not a $1000 for the Kimber. My :twocents:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    What's wrong with saving weight on a part that doesn't deal with any stress?

The idea that there is not stress on a 1911 MSH is simply wrong. The mainspring in a 1911 is under at least partial tension even when the gun is not cocked (that is why the mainspring cap and the retaining pin are needed). Never mind that said level of tension increases every time the action is cycled and that having metal parts rubbing against plastic will wear the plastic out eventually.

And the gun is only 25 ounces unloaded. A little extra weight probably helps.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, considering how much one pays for a Kimber, I can't imagine them putting plastic anywhere on the gun. I agree with the above posts though that it is probably a non-issue.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That's one thing I still need to do with my Kimber. Yeah it saves weight but it's just.....wrong.

Besides, I've managed to tear mine up a bit, the hammer spur gets caught on it during reasemble and it defromes a tad.

For a top dollar, top quaility handgun, a plastic mainspring housing seems to cheapin the overall value of the pistol. I own a Rock Island 1911 and the mainspring housing is plastic, but I paid $400 for it. Not a $1000 for the Kimber. My :twocents:

Well, considering how much one pays for a Kimber, I can't imagine them putting plastic anywhere on the gun. I agree with the above posts though that it is probably a non-issue.

Beretta 92s use plastic guide rods, the Taurus 92 uses metal. CZ uses plastic guide rods (SP-01). I realize guide rods and mainspring housing are 2 completely different animals, but the still, top quality products using plastic componets.

Last edited:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have been thinking about taking the stainless mainspring housing off my Taurus PT1911, and installing it on my Kimber CDP 2, then getting a Wilson speed chute for my Taurus. That would take care of both.
    Dave

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pop's GoldCup factory plastic mainspring housing cracked after a few months of use. He swapped in a stainless one- no probs since (shot the **** out of it for the last 15 yrs?).

When I got my new Commander yrs ago, I immediately put in an arched Pachmayr (steel w rubber coating).

flick1900

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Troy, IN
    The idea that there is not stress on a 1911 MSH is simply wrong. The mainspring in a 1911 is under at least partial tension even when the gun is not cocked (that is why the mainspring cap and the retaining pin are needed). Never mind that said level of tension increases every time the action is cycled and that having metal parts rubbing against plastic will wear the plastic out eventually.

And the gun is only 25 ounces unloaded. A little extra weight probably helps.

I agree. Feels better in the hand too.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :yesway:
    First thing that happens when I pick up a Kimber is ditch the plastic MSH and put in a new metal unit.
    Even 1 plastic part seems wrong. The weight difference is negligible.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I see a very defined line being drawn here. The guys that like metal pistols dislike any amount of polymer resin parts. Then there is a whole 'nuther bunch that shoot polymer framed pistols, some that are really pricey, who claim all other pistols are inferior. I am a metal pistol kind of guy, but I can accept some Polymer. My Para Limited has a plastic trigger. Everyone who picks it up comments on the plastic trigger. The Pistol has a pretty good feeling trigger, and the pistol shoots very well, so the pad being plastic does not bother me. I have never had a plastic guide rod in a beretta fail or act up, I guess those do not bother me either. I was shooting a walther pistol and the cheap plastic front sight fell off....that bothered me.

Top Bottom