• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Anyone switch out their plastic guide rods for steel? I hear a lot of debate on this, curious what you guys think.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Swapped out the plastic guide rod on my Sig P220 for a Bedairs stainless guide rod. I havent really noticed a difference in preformace but I thought for a gun of its class that it shouldve come with a steel guide rod from factory.

All my other Sigs did. Idk why My P220 didnt.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    What ever the gun came with from the factory is what I use. I usually just order a few extra guide rod assemblies in-case something were to happen to the one I am currently using.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was issued a Glock 17 for several years and I also personally owned a Glock 21. I fired thousands of rounds through each and never thought about what the rod was made of.

It is just a guide for the spring after all. I have 1911 pistols with no guide rod. They work with no malfunctions too.

Believe it or not, gun designers know what they are doing. If plastic was not good enough, they would use something else.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I was issued a Glock 17 for several years and I also personally owned a Glock 21. I fired thousands of rounds through each and never thought about what the rod was made of.
    It is just a guide for the spring after all. I have 1911 pistols with no guide rod. They work with no malfunctions too.
    Believe it or not, gun designers know what they are doing. If plastic was not good enough, they would use something else.
    ^this

I swapped out the factory plastic in a PF9 for the steel one. No difference. Still a crappy pistol.
    I think these after market guide rods are just for us suckers who just figure steel must be better.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    but my extra 82 grains of weight keeps the muzzle down in rapid fire.

purple broken..

it does make it look a little nicer though. :)

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Yeah,I swapped the plastic guide rod that came with my Glock 17 for a all metal one and noticed no difference.I just keep my OE one for a spare.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    If its a glock, leave it alone. If its anything else, steel. Doesnt matter much either way though.

Top Bottom