Please test fire the gun before it becomes your EDC.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    better than that: try hundreds of rounds, many different flavors...out of all of your mags. lots of rounds.
    I'm tired of reading ads for pistols that say something to the effect of "...was my EDC...never fired..."

/rant over

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    better than that: try hundreds of rounds, many different flavors...out of all of your mags. lots of rounds.
    I'm tired of reading ads for pistols that say something to the effect of "...was my EDC...never fired..."

/rant over

I don't even know what to say ..... MAYBE, you could get away with that 20-30 years ago, but NO MORE !!!!! JMHO, YMMV.....

And, it MIGHT depend on what "brand" you buy .....

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I often wonder if folks think the extra, what 25? 50?, whatever "value" it adds to the gun to be "unfired" but yet carried and have holster wear, etc. is actually worth it? ...if it's something that you're using for self defense then it's worth the few bucks to practice with the thing and to make sure that it actually works.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I had a friend from out of state come up and wanted to go shooting with me since he'd been given a firearm but wasn't terribly experienced. He wasn't carrying, but he'd been keeping it by his bedside. It was some Taurus 9mm that was so gummed up it couldn't even chamber a round. :(

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I had a friend from out of state come up and wanted to go shooting with me since he'd been given a firearm but wasn't terribly experienced. He wasn't carrying, but he'd been keeping it by his bedside. It was some Taurus 9mm that was so gummed up it couldn't even chamber a round. :(

...hope he had an epiphany after that

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    In a sense, a used gun is a used gun. If you tell me it's unfired, I'm not going to believe you anyway, and even if I did, I'm not going to pay you more because of it. I'd almost be more inclined to may more for a gun with a couple thousand rounds through than an unused one.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Always shoot 500 rounds FMJ range ammo to check reliability, then at least 250 rounds of whatever I carry for reliability and familiarity purposes.

After cleaning factory gunk and making sure things are in order and lubed properly of course.

Never understood why people would buy a gun to carry, and only fire maybe 100 rounds to check function. How well can you know a pistol in 100 rounds and one range session?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't even know what to say ..... MAYBE, you could get away with that 20-30 years ago, but NO MORE !!!!! JMHO, YMMV.....

And, it MIGHT depend on what "brand" you buy .....

It's not brand dependent. Every manufacturer has a bad day and can turn out a pistol that needs a bit of break in before being reliable. My worst out-of-the-box experience was with a gun made by a manufacturer that tout's 'Perfection'. It's that companies most popular carry gun no less. I've heard many folks claim that you can buy that gun, load it, and drop it in your holster without ever leaving the store and be good to go. Never, ever do that. Anyone can produce a dud and you won't know if you were the lucky one to get it until you've shot the gun a bunch.

This is one area where guns are not like normal tools. I can buy a new hammer and leave it in my toolbox until I need it. Nobody buys a hammer and then practices by hammering 50 nails a week for a month before putting it in their toolbox. But, that's what you have to do to your EDC.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

The good side is that he found out before he ended up having his arse handed to him because of a gun that wouldn't shoot.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Similar problem: I have a friend that owns a Taurus Slim 40. He couldn't hit a barn with it, if he was standing inside of it. He won't sell or trade off the gun because he "loves the way it feels and carries"

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I'm curious about the meaning of "un-fired" anyway. Most manufacturers test fire their products at the factory as a part of the quality assurance process, so even a brand new gun isn't truly un-fired.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    Good rant. I just can't imagine carrying something I had not shot a significant number of rounds through...wheel gun might be a small exception (less rounds to feel confident in ammo choice?). I shot 100's through each of my EDC's including multiple mags before they ever saw a holster.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I'm curious about the meaning of "un-fired" anyway. Most manufacturers test fire their products at the factory as a part of the quality assurance process, so even a brand new gun isn't truly un-fired.

Kind of like that new Mosin or SKS. Thread jack over

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Good rant. I just can't imagine carrying something I had not shot a significant number of rounds through...wheel gun might be a small exception (less rounds to feel confident in ammo choice?). I shot 100's through each of my EDC's including multiple mags before they ever saw a holster.

Agreed, I got my wife a Taurus TCP to carry and the next day I had her out shooting it and it was a good thing that she didn't just tuck it and go. Out of the first 2 magazines we had 7 FTE, it has gotten better, but still not to the point that I would trust it to save either of our lives.

Top Bottom