• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    So I am looking at buying a plinking rifle to do some target shooting. I want it to be a 22 to keep ammo costs down but I want a rifle that can be easily upgraded as I go along. I have been looking at a ruger 10 22 but I didn't know if some of you might know of a better platform to start with. Eventually I would like to replace the stock, trigger group as well as putting a decent optic on it. Nothing really fancy but a fun little range gun....

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Ruger 10/22 all the way.
    If your wanting to do a build up there are tons of aftermarket parts that will improve the trigger feel & accuracy of the 10/22.
    They're easy to work on also.

CZ, Remington, Savage all make great rimfires too, but if your wanting something to customize go with the Ruger.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    why buy a rifle that needs to be improved upon in order to reach a desirable amount of accuracy?

The average 10/22 doesn't NEED improving in order to reach desirable accuracy... And, of course, desirable accuracy is subjective anyhow.

BUT, the point of the 10/22 suggestions are that you CAN upgrade as time and finances allow. There are plenty of people who buy a $200 10/22 and then spend another $1000+ on them just because they want to. Not many of those are accuracy mods. If all you want to do is to wring accuracy out of your rifle, ~$200 for a barrel (less, if you get lucky), ~$60 for internal / trigger mods, ~$150 good scope.

Let's say, then, for that same ~$450, you buy a CZ rifle that doesn't need any "upgrades" other than to dial down the trigger weight. That may or may not cost extra money.

Scope cost would be the same.

Plus: Modifications/upgrades to bolt action rifles are somewhat limited as compared to what you can do to a 10/22. Heck, you don't even have to buy an actual 10/22...you can build one wholly aftermarket.

-J-

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    The average 10/22 doesn't NEED improving in order to reach desirable accuracy... And, of course, desirable accuracy is subjective anyhow.

BUT, the point of the 10/22 suggestions are that you CAN upgrade as time and finances allow. There are plenty of people who buy a $200 10/22 and then spend another $1000+ on them just because they want to. Not many of those are accuracy mods. If all you want to do is to wring accuracy out of your rifle, ~$200 for a barrel (less, if you get lucky), ~$60 for internal / trigger mods, ~$150 good scope.

Let's say, then, for that same ~$450, you buy a CZ rifle that doesn't need any "upgrades" other than to dial down the trigger weight. That may or may not cost extra money.

Scope cost would be the same.

Plus: Modifications/upgrades to bolt action rifles are somewhat limited as compared to what you can do to a 10/22. Heck, you don't even have to buy an actual 10/22...you can build one wholly aftermarket.

-J-

^^agree

A stock 10/22 doesn't need any upgrades to be a good rifle, but the sky is the limit on what you can do to modify it, and the sky is the limit on how much it can cost.

Plus, if you change your mind about the rifle for whatever reason and want to sell it, the 10/22 is common enough and desirable enough that you can probably find a buyer without too much hassle.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    The average 10/22 doesn't NEED improving in order to reach desirable accuracy... And, of course, desirable accuracy is subjective anyhow. {bold added}

This is key. If you want 50-100yd Xs right out of the box, most 10/22 models will probably not deliver. Then again, I am not certain what will for the $$. The nice thing about the 10/22 is that you can readily remake it to what you want as your needs and budgets change.

Not many 10/22 rifles can be moved from:
    1) basic hunter
    2) bench trainer (addition of trigger, bolt parts, longer heavy barrel, and stock)
    3) simulated long-range trainer (switch to shorter match barrel for balance, different stock, and mil-dot scope for practice working w/ drops and wind while staying < 250yds)
    4) getting the kids into shooting (collapsible stock and dot for fun)
    5) whatever other uses you can come up with for a .22lr

The best part is that by keeping the components, I can move back to any mode with only a few minutes of work and some range time to adjust the optics.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    I have a Savage and it's not a bad rifle, but I can't even get a hi-cap magazine. It's also a pain to disassemble requiring an Allen wrench, 11mm wrench, Philips AND a large flat screwdriver!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I own two 10-22's and one bolt action Remington Model 5. For casual shooting and rimfire sporter matches, I grab the Model 5 because it fits me better and is lots more accurate. It is purtier too, I think.

I am not interested in throwing lots of rounds downrange. I want all my rounds to go through the same hole..

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I like my old Marlin model 918(I think). Bolt action tube fed fun machine, and my first rifle back in the day. Still shoots great and eats whatever I slide down the tube. I'd like a lever action someday as well for fun. :D Nothing wrong with a good ol 10-22 though if you want a semi auto!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If your heart is set on spending money to upgrade as funds allow, I don't think there is a better platform than the 10/22. If you want an inexpensive plinker that is accurate from the get go, but doesn't have much support at ALL for modifying later, get a Marlin 795.

RailRoad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have a Glenfield model 60 and a Marlin model 60 since i was a kid and loved them.. My 15yr old son wants a 10/22 because of all the options.. I've never owned a 10/22 so what is the best model to get? basic stock or built up version?

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with everything that's been said about the 10/22. They are fun and you can improve them as you go. Or, if you were born without patience, a serious birth defect, you can cut to the chase and buy the newest Magnum Research MLR22-AT. It is built on the Ruger 10/22 action made of 6062 aluminum, carbon bull barrel and thumbhole stock. It uses Ruger mags, too. It's actually less money than I have in my built up 10/22.

gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Well it sounds like going the route of the 10/22 will be best since it will be an on going project.

exphys2010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    It is a little more expensive than some of the others, but the Ruger 10/22 is the best all around 22 that you can buy in my opinion, and it is still relatively cheap compared to most firearms. However, if you are looking to save some money and still have a very fun, reliable plinking rifle, I would highly recommend the Mossberg 702 plinkster. I have had one for around 4 years, and I have never had a single jam out of it. You can buy them in Walmart for about 110 dollars give or take. As of now, they only make 10 round mags for it, but you can buy spares directly from Mossberg for around 12 or 15 dollars apiece, and that included shipping when I bought some. It reminds me very much of their 500 shotgun series. It does not have a lot of flare or special features, but it is built well, and will ALWAYS function flawlessly.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It is not practical IMO to buy an AR platform 22, and convert it to 223 down the road, if that is what you are thinking. A 22 conversion kit for an AR15, for example, is like $300. You're far better off to have a dedicated Ruger 10/22 I think.

Voodoo574

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    South Bend/ Mishawaka
    Just to throw it out there the S&W Ar-15 22 is a great plinking gun. Accurate out of the box and you can set it up just like its big brothers. Trigger groups are the same as the big ARs'. Plus you can outfit it with all the gizmos and gadgets that fit on picatinny rails.

Top Bottom