• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Anyone have trouble with their plunger tube popping off. My Kimbers did. I p/u a Combat Carry from an ingo'er " unfired" which I don't doubt, took it to Beech Groves range and 38 rounds of Remington FMJ..tink off comes the plunger tube. The Combat Carry is an aluminum frame pistol, if it makes a difference. It's on its way to New York for repair and new night sights as the 14 yr. old sights were done for. +1 to Bradis for the help and advise in shipping the weapon.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It's one of the classically documented ways that a 1911 can fail, but with a properly staked plunger tube it shouldn't be a problem. Either Caspian or Fusion (or both, I'd have to look) offer frames with an integral plunger tube to eliminate to chance of the part loosening. If you look up inside the magazine tube you would like to see two nicely mushroomed heads of the plunger tube pins. I think I have heard that some 1911 manufacturers just Loc-Tite them in, though. Not certain if Kimber does or doesn't.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    It's one of the classically documented ways that a 1911 can fail, but with a properly staked plunger tube it shouldn't be a problem. Either Caspian or Fusion (or both, I'd have to look) offer frames with an integral plunger tube to eliminate to chance of the part loosening. If you look up inside the magazine tube you would like to see two nicely mushroomed heads of the plunger tube pins. I think I have heard that some 1911 manufacturers just Loc-Tite them in, though. Not certain if Kimber does or doesn't.

Ruger SR1911 and Cabot pistols have the tube as an integral part of the frame also. I guess it's good unless you happen to ding the tube somehow.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    My ParaOrd GI Expert had a similar problem, but I'm still not exactly sure how it happened. Part has since been replaced.

7284308764_af7b621ab2_o.jpg

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    If it worries you, a new plunger tube with four staking posts may be had from Brownell's. There is also a drilling fixture for it.

Carbide drills and a drill press will do the job nicely.

I prefer grips that apply inward pressure to the tube as well, instead of those which apply no pressure or may not even overlap the tube.

Josh

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had a Llama about 23 years ago that had a plastic plunger tube housing... cracked and fell off. had it fixed, and sold that piece of junk at a pawn shop just because I could not bring myself to sell to another individual myself.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Yep, my dad's circa 2003 Springfield Loaded had his come loose about 2 years ago now, caused the plunger to jam up the safety. Bought the Wilson bullet proof tube along with replacement plungers and spring for good measure. Finished prying off the old and restaked the new one on good and tight. Filed up the inside of the frame by the legs to make sure it was clean and flush. Safety never flicked up and down so good. A nice cheap set of grips that support the bottom and side of the tube are the aluminum 1911 Archangel grips for about $20.

Top Bottom