• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have 6 gen3's I keep loaded and never had any issues with. That being said I worked in a factory that produced Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. Great stuff but some of the additives used to change the colors had extreme effects on the brittleness. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the "only making black"

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I have 6 gen3's I keep loaded and never had any issues with. That being said I worked in a factory that produced Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. Great stuff but some of the additives used to change the colors had extreme effects on the brittleness. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the "only making black"
    Hmmm... interesting. Never woulda even thought about that. Might be a little more careful with the other FDE mag now, thanks for that. :ingo:

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    The cold temperatures may have made it more brittle also. Certainly this way for metals, but I am not so sure for plastics.
    I had the same thought, but I'm not convinced. That mag had been out in the cold for awhile, as I had loaded it right before the match and stuck it in the mag holder. Shot two full stages before I used it, so maybe two-three hours? It certainly would have made any existing issue worse, but I don't believe it woulda been the cold alone seeing as multiple people ran PMAGs at same match with no issues.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The cold temperatures may have made it more brittle also. Certainly this way for metals, but I am not so sure for plastics.
    The stuff we made was outstanding in the cold, we made after market performance snow mobile skis and conveyor belt parts used in flash freezing applications. Don't think that would be it but I'm sure it's not the exact same poly so who knows.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I only have a couple of green ones and I don't think I have used them yet. My black ones haven't had a problem. Maybe you have hit the nail on the head, so to speak!

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    I have heard the colored PMAG versions are not as strong because of the color additive, however I have no scientific explanation as to why but have heard it a couple different places. The mag in question looked to be colored. All I buy is black for this reason.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I have heard the colored PMAG versions are not as strong because of the color additive, however I have no scientific explanation as to why but have heard it a couple different places. The mag in question looked to be colored. All I buy is black for this reason.
    Link? I'm struggling to find anything on this other than "my buddy read where someone's neighbor said..."

Green dye in the polymer or black? What makes the difference in strength when the polymer is the same? I am seriously curios on this because I have several PMags (Black, OD and FDE).

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Link? I'm struggling to find anything on this other than "my buddy read where someone's neighbor said..."

Green dye in the polymer or black? What makes the difference in strength when the polymer is the same? I am seriously curios on this because I have several PMags (Black, OD and FDE).
    One of the posts upthread mentioned color additives affecting the brittleness in different products. Magpul also told me they are only producing black, so I guess you could read something into that. I wonder if the polymer mix is originally black? Then for OD, FDE maybe they have to add something.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Plastic breaks and metal bends, it's going to happen eventually just sucks yours was on the first time shooting it. That's why I keep plenty of mags on hand. I have yet to have a PMag gone bad, but have had USGI mags fail. Glad to hear they are replacing it but I do find it kind of weird that they are only producing the black Pmags now. Just like the early fords, they will make PMags in your favorite color, if your favorite color is black :)

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne

Well that's kinda the point, if you add or subtract anything from the polymer it's not the same polymer. I'm not pretending to know what's going on behind MagPul's doors, just telling what I know from working with poly. We had additives for color, abrasion resistance, heat resistance, impact resistance, additives to make it UV resistant and resistant to radioactivity. ALL of which affected the other properties. In theory black should be one of the easier colors because it took less additives, the lighter colors are harder to get right. Again not saying this is the case at the MagPul plant just what I know to be true of polymer.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

The color has nothing to do with it.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona

Hmmm... interesting. Never woulda even thought about that. Might be a little more careful with the other FDE mag now, thanks for that.

Color additive can and does cause this in molded plastics. I'd be willing to bet it is the reason they're going to "only black". I've read of this happening to the colored P-Mags on other forums as well. Flat Dark Earth is the lightest P-Mag color they make. It most likely requires the most additive to produce the color change. That, or else it has different properties not desirable in magazine manufacture due to brittleness. All I buy are black P-Mags, and thus far I haven't had any issues. I believe this is why the government no longer issues them, and has outright banned them for G.I. use in combat zones. That move really shut up a lot of the mall ninja's and "trainers" over at ARFCOM, who used to rave about these things on a never ending basis. It was as if they, (Mag-Pul), were the only ones who make magazines for the AR-15 platform. This is a product that, over the years, has had a lot of civilians jump on the bandwagon over. Seemingly each one raving more highly about it than the last. All of a sudden breakage starts occurring on somewhat of a regular basis, then the fanfare starts toning down to more realistic levels.

I only keep P-Mags for range use. And let's be honest, that's what 100% of the rest of us do as well. For any type of self defense use, I use only Stainless Steel G.I. magazines. I doubt anyone on this board has used a P-Mag to drop someone.

Top Bottom