• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I bought a couple boxes of the PMC bronze ammo in 9mm.Went shooting this morning and about every other round i was getting light primer strikes.I tried this ammo thru various handguns i brought along with me with the same results.Needless to say i dont think ill be buying this ammo again.Anyone else experiance this with PMC ammo?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've shot countless rounds of PMC ammo and never had any problems. I'm not really sure what you mean by 'light primer strikes'. A light primer strike would usually be caused by a problem with the gun itself. Since you tried this ammo in more than one gun, you've pretty much ruled that out. The only thing that I can think of that might cause that, that would be ammo related, would be if the the primers weren't seated completely. Do you have any of this ammo left? If so, try standing the remaining rounds on their base. They should sit flat and stable. If they wobble the primers are probably too high. That could cause what you are describing.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I've shot countless rounds of PMC ammo and never had any problems. I'm not really sure what you mean by 'light primer strikes'. A light primer strike would usually be caused by a problem with the gun itself. Since you tried this ammo in more than one gun, you've pretty much ruled that out. The only thing that I can think of that might cause that, that would be ammo related, would be if the the primers weren't seated completely. Do you have any of this ammo left? If so, try standing the remaining rounds on their base. They should sit flat and stable. If they wobble the primers are probably too high. That could cause what you are describing.

I dont know if "light primer strikes" would be the correct term to call it.The rounds that dont go off you can tell where the firing pin hit it but the impression on the primer isnt as indented as one that fired fine.When i compared the ones i had problems with and the ones i didnt you cant tell any difference of any kind.:dunno:

Spinaltapls1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Avon, IN
    that is mt favorite ammo for just shooting. shot thousands of rounds in 9mm and never had a issue. the AR loves the stuff to. little dirty but cheap

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

The 9mm rounds headspaces on the case mouth. If the case is too short, when the firing pin hits the primer the round can be driven forward instead of being held in position for a positive strike on the primer. You could carefully measure several of the cases and determine whether or not this is the problem. Given that the issue is happening with several guns, it is entirely possible.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Definitly call once. My friends and i shoot it almost exclusively thousands of rounds never had any problems. I've had some picky guns nut they always fired once flawlessly

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm betting it's a firearm issue, and NOT ammo related.

Was your firearm clean when this happened, or are you one of these that run thousands of rounds through your piece before cleaning?

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My wife and I have fired thousands of rounds of PMC 9mm Luger over a period of years. It leaves the pistols cleaner than WWB, and never has failed us. PMC has become my preferred ammo, now....... Just my experience.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I'm betting it's a firearm issue, and NOT ammo related.

Was your firearm clean when this happened, or are you one of these that run thousands of rounds through your piece before cleaning?

I clean all of my guns after every shooting trip.This same issue happend with 7 different pistols.Hence the reason why im suspecting this is an ammo issue.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    My wife and I have fired thousands of rounds of PMC 9mm Luger over a period of years. It leaves the pistols cleaner than WWB, and never has failed us. PMC has become my preferred ammo, now....... Just my experience.

That has been my experiance as well up until yesterday.:dunno:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a couple boxes of the PMC bronze ammo in 9mm.Went shooting this morning and about every other round i was getting light primer strikes.I tried this ammo thru various handguns i brought along with me with the same results.Needless to say i dont think ill be buying this ammo again.Anyone else experiance this with PMC ammo?

Naw...my MP eats the PMC stuff well. The one I dont' like is the cheap Federal ammo....makes my whole MP look like it's rolled around in a coal bin.....stuff is far too smokey.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Measure the length of the case only, from the rim to the mouth on one side of the case. Do this with several cases, jotting down their exact length. Report back with your findings. These should measure very close to .754" and as little as .002" short would explain your light primer strikes.

NOTE: Some 9mm firearms hold the case with enough tension to fire them even if the brass is shorter than it should be. Since you tried this ammo in numerous guns, I'm going to say they are simply too short, or they've got compromised primers in them.

I do my own reloads for 30 Carbine. This is basically a long, skinny, straight-walled pistol round, despite being fired from a carbine-length gun. The 30 Carbine headspaces on the case mouth, just like the 9mm, so if it's too short, you will see light primer-strikes and FTF's. The 30 Carbine is supposed to measure 1.290". I have found cases that measure 1.287" are simply too short and WILL NOT FIRE, so if I resize a case and it measures this length or less, it gets tossed. I have also found that cases 1.293" or longer will jam the action of my particular rifle.

Another possibility that has not been mentioned is the case mouth may have an excessive crimp, causing the mouth to be narrow enough to slide into the barrel instead of catching on the end of chamber, as it should. If this is the case, be GLAD they're not going off because this would cause a restriction of the bullet leaving the case mouth, which would create an over-pressure situation!

Straight-walled rimless ammo requires special considerations and case length becomes crucial, as does the type of crimp applied, if any. Please measure the cases and examine them for signs of being crimped. This problem will most likely be case length, primer or an excessive crimp...in that order.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    ...and with that, this thread dies? I'd really like to know what the root cause of this ammo problem was. :)

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    ...and with that, this thread dies? I'd really like to know what the root cause of this ammo problem was. :)

Me too..I went thru another 50 rnd box yesterday and 17 outta the 50 had this same problem.and this time I was using a different 9mm handgun that I didn't try before.when I get a chance to measure the case lengths and whatnot I will.

Top Bottom