Poacher Avoids Jail - What's this telling me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    He obviously lawyered up with a really good attorney. I'll bet the CO was upset he received a relatively low fine, in his eyes. He was punished, and it wasn't cheap by any means..................the attorney probably cost him a couple of grand, so let it go and move on. I'll bet you he'll watch what he does the rest of his life. Betcha!

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Be nice to see him standing at the check in station 8 hrs a day for all of the modern season with his big TROPHY BUCK POACHER sign on.plus more fines stupid should be painful or expensive or both

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    So your really want to pay tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars to incarcerate a guy who illegally killed a deer? I am really curious what ya'll think should have been done to him.

I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of 1st time D felons don't do any actual time unless they violate probation; the state would promptly go bankrupt if we ever came close.

That is much less misdemeanor deer-killers.

This sort of thing happens because of fallen human nature and greed. This sort of thing has happened since the beginning of time and will continue to until the end of time. I find it interesting that so many people think that this can be changed by locking this guy up.

Joe

It's not about changing the guy. It is about just punishment. IMHO incarceration, fines, ets are purely about punishment NOT reformation - leave that to the shrinks. In this case I think the punishment was too low - I do notthink jail is the answer but the fine should have been a hell of a lot bigger.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    What is the logic behind taking the rifle he used to shoot it with? Is it just a form of financial punishment? If the intent is to keep him from being able to do it again that is weak sauce based on the notion that was his only rifle. Does it now get sold?

where i am from if you are caught poaching it is typical to confiscate all means you used to do the poaching including, the car you used to get you to the site, guns/fishing equipment, boats, snowmobiles, etc. It is part of the punishment/fine.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    where i am from if you are caught poaching it is typical to confiscate all means you used to do the poaching including, the car you used to get you to the site, guns/fishing equipment, boats, snowmobiles, etc. It is part of the punishment/fine.

I don't necessarily want jail time but I do think he should have had his truck consfiscated along with his rifle. I thought that was SOP if you got busted poaching.

chris317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    The idea behind punishment is to deter the criminal from doing it again.

I'm not sure if i believe this guy wouldn't do it again, based on the punishment.

Dave

I agree. How much is the rack worth from a buck like that. Probably a lot more than $500 and the cost of a gun! The chance of getting caught is so low that the punishment needs to be steeper as a deterant. I don't believe that jail is the answer because in the grand scheme of things it is not a major crime, but the deterant needs to deter! Raise the fine and add more comm. service.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    So your really want to pay tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars to incarcerate a guy who illegally killed a deer? I am really curious what ya'll think should have been done to him.

I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of 1st time D felons don't do any actual time unless they violate probation; the state would promptly go bankrupt if we ever came close.

That is much less misdemeanor deer-killers.

This sort of thing happens because of fallen human nature and greed. This sort of thing has happened since the beginning of time and will continue to until the end of time. I find it interesting that so many people think that this can be changed by locking this guy up.

Joe

Some INGOers think every criminal charge should go to a jury trial. And if the State (taxpayers) can't afford that, then the police should simply arrest fewer people.

Lots of prosecutors don't take DNR cases that seriously.

But if they do, then they have to convince a judge to impose a fine. Ah, there's the rub.

ShelbyCo.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Marietta
    I dont think jail is the answer either. If you lock him up he cant work which means he cant pay fines and unless he is rich the monetary part probably hurts the most. I like the idea of wearing a sign and working check stations as the community service part.

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    I think he should have gotten enough jail time to make it, at least, uncomfortable for him while there and embarrassing for him trying to make excuses for where he had been.
    Maybe 10 days to think about his lack of respect for the law. This would probably use up any vacation time he had left for the year too.
    Second offense should carry a heavier penalty, including the truck and 90 days in jail as a possible deterrent.
    D.....bag is 47, he knew it was wrong before he did it.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I believe the reason some people poach is they know there is no real consequences if they are caught. I have people poach and trespass on my family's land all the time. I catch them on my trail cam and all they do is laugh at it. I just can not catch them personally in the act, and if I did the legal system will do very minimal at the best.

Chuck

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It's not about changing the guy. It is about just punishment. IMHO incarceration, fines, ets are purely about punishment NOT reformation - leave that to the shrinks. In this case I think the punishment was too low - I do notthink jail is the answer but the fine should have been a hell of a lot bigger.

The question in the title of this thread is about what it taught the perp and others, not about what is just...

If you want to discuss justice, that is an entirely different question.

Joe

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Some INGOers think every criminal charge should go to a jury trial. And if the State (taxpayers) can't afford that, then the police should simply arrest fewer people.

Lots of prosecutors don't take DNR cases that seriously.

But if they do, then they have to convince a judge to impose a fine. Ah, there's the rub.

Yeah, and after a judge has spent year after year hearing cases where people treated people like animals; it is hard to get too distraught over people treating animals like animals.;)

Best,

Joe

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    He shot a deer then had his girlfriends boy stick an arrow in it and try to get it through a check station. He shot a deer in bow season with a rifle. What every one is pissed about is they didn't get a shot at the deer.

He broke the law and paid his fine, lawyer and lost his rifle. I would think if he pulls this again and goes before the same judge he will be doing jail time. Most judges don't like repeat offenders. I don't know if he learned his lesson or not. I know if it had been me I would have. That is a hell of a lot of money to lose and not even get to keep the deer.

On my property just like today. I could have poached three deer in my side yard. It would have been illegal yes but in the scheme of things would have it changed any thing? There would be three less deer to bring other deer in to this world. There are to many deer in the area and that is why we are aloud to take eight deer in this county. That is also why they have changed the rules to allow us to use a rifle.

If I had shot one or all three of them would it have made any difference? No! Would it if every one did it? Yes, very much so. That is why we have the law. We can't all be jerks and the ones of us that are should have to pay.

That is why I have an unfilled deer tang and three deer in my side yard walked on down to the woods. I don't think it is worth the risk. So I play by the rules. I can't say it isn't tempting though. I stalk the property and sit in a blind and don't get a shot at a deer. Then come back up to the house and half hour later the dogs are barking at deer that are up next to the house. This will be only the second time I haven't gotten a deer while living here. May be next year I will do better.

Top Bottom