• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    We've had issues with poachers for as long as I can remember. However, this is the first time I've actually found a stand in place on our family's property. The stand is about 18 feet up, its a brand new, climber style stand with a cheap stand ladder strapped to the tree. I contacted all the neighbors, they say its not theirs and that they too have not given anyone permission to hunt on their properties that border ours. I tried calling the CO but naturally, they are swamped with it being opening day and the lady on dispatch had no idea how I should proceed. There is no names on the stand and we have given no one permission to hunt. The thing that annoys me most. The tree right in front of it has a no hunting/trespassing sign on it. 1 of the dozens I have scattered throughout the property. Any suggestions on how to handle it? I've thought about taking it down and taking it to the sheriffs office and turning it into them and leaving a note for the owner to contact the sheriff's department to get it back.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Options:
    1) Place your No Hunting/No Trespassing sign on it
    2) Spray paint it pink
    3) Move it higher into the tree so that he/she needs to bring a 30 foot extension ladder to get it down
    4) Buy a trail cam (they're nice to have anyway) and take the photos you get to the police dept.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It's on your property and you didn't give permission for them to put it there, it becomes yours... doesn't it?:dunno:

Yeah. This.

How could he file theft charges during an illegal act????

"Hey mister, where is my stand I trespassed on your property and
    put up without your permission and against your direct denial?!?"

LOL - get the hell of my land and stay off d-bag.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Yeah. This.

How could he file theft charges during an illegal act????

I've seen dumber stuff happen, like burglar suing for cutting his hand on broken glass from the window he was climbing in and winning.(true story, happened to the parents of my ex-girlfriend)

LOL - get the hell of my land and stay off d-bag.

Best response yet lol

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I would take and cut the thing to pieces and leave it at the base of the tree they put it in with a no hunting/trespassing sign affixed to it. If they can't take a joke oh well ;)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    If I remember right, dad has acquired at least 2 climbing stands (or at least half of a climbing stand) over the years on our property. Leave it on private property while tresspassing, landowner takes it.

Possession is 9/10 of the law... Especially in this situation, and no name/number/address on the stand (as required when hunting on public land).

I can't remember for sure, but I believe he also called a CO and verified, and was told if found on his property, they were his.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I've dealt with this quite a bit. I usually take them down and put them in the garage. Even if I have given someone permission to hunt and they break the rules, such as, I don't allow any nails in trees and they have nailed in boards for some reason. That stand is coming down. If it's a wooden ladder stand it will be in a pile next time they visit. If it's a nice stand it will be in my garage next time they visit. I will ride the quad after the season just to go look for stands that have been put up with nails. I will also look for stands that have been up so long that the straps or chains haven't been loosened forever and the tree is growing over them. Thats also one of my rules- always loosen your staps or chains at the end of the season. .They signed a paper saying they agreed to my rules, break the rules loose your stand and your priveledges. A trespasser? Screw it their stand is now my stand. Period. Once you take control of the situation and people know you won't put up with it, the trespassing tends to slow down. I've heard thru the grapevine that I'm an A-hole because of my strict permitting system and how I handle hunting on our properties. On the other side of that, many have praised me for doing such a good job. These of course are the people that obey the rules. They benefit from it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'd work hard to identify the poacher(s). The game cam sounds like a great strategy, for starters. The trick would be to find where they are parking a vehicle and get a license plate or at least a description of the vehicle. The more descriptors you can get, the better the chance authorities can close the deal. The game cam could narrow down the preferred hunting days/time of the perp, which could help. If you have more than one, you could also determine from which direction they are entering.

My guess is that you probably don't need the stand, because you already have some from prior poachers.

It is sad that landowners have to put up with this crap.

I was at Revinia Woods yesterday, squirrel hunting. I saw two hunters that were across the line and on private property. They may not have known it, because it wasn't really well marked. Or, they might have been the land owners or had permission from them. I'm not sure why the land owner there would give permission like that, when the property is surrounded by lots of public land, but who knows? I had a map and GPS that both clearly showed where the line was, plus you could physically see a cleared path right along it. These guys were a good 100 yards on the wrong side of it. Hopefully, it wasn't a case of poaching, but I couldn't help but wonder.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    After the first few that we pulled out of trees in our woods, my dad resorted to buying a cheep case of #4 buck, and walking the woods with his shotgun after filling the freezer. put a couple of holes in the bottom of it, and leave it for the hunter to find.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you don't take it (which you should), pour some skunk lure on it and let the poachers decide what they'll do with it.

Spray painting it pink isn't a bad idea either.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I take them down and use what I can off them and scrap the rest. It's your land and they didn't ask permission. Don't waste the time of DNR on this one. It's a basic trespass issue. It's yours.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I will make a deal with you. Let me know where it is at and I will make sure that treestand never sets foot on your property again. I could always use a couple of extra stands.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Camo yourself all up and hide near the tree stand. Let them climb into stand and get comfortable. Call LEO's and tell them there is an armed trespasser on your property. Remove their ladder and wait for cops.

Top Bottom