• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    So awhile ago I bought a Kel-tec p11 from a member on here and every time I shot it I would hit about 3 inches low at 5-7 yards. I would hit there consistently, but I would never hit POA POI. I traded the gun because it drove me crazy that I couldn't hit what I was aiming at and I got a DB9. Took it to the range a while ago and low and behold... I hit about 3 inches low with it too! When I had the P11 I was convinced it was the sights, but now that I am shooting another gun, similar in size, with the same problem I am thinking it is possible it is me.

Now I am not a bad shooter, I can shoot everything from .22 to 44mag in pistols and hit what I am aiming at. I can shoot single action 1911s and long double action revolvers accurately. I am wondering if there is just something special about sub-compact pistols that I don't know.

I haven't carried the DB9 for a while because I can carry my Glock 22 in a Raven vanguard just as easy, but I would like to have the option to, and know I could hit exactly where I am aiming if I had to.

Any tips?

Edit: I had other shoot both of these guns and they shot low for them too. I still think it is the gun, not the shooter, but I am interested in what you guys have to say. Are pocket guns supposed to shoot low? (doesn't make sense to me)

Last edited:

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    So awhile ago I bought a Kel-tec p11 from a member on here and every time I shot it I would hit about 3 inches low at 5-7 yards. I would hit there consistently, but I would never hit POA POI. I traded the gun because it drove me crazy that I couldn't hit what I was aiming at and I got a DB9. Took it to the range a while ago and low and behold... I hit about 3 inches low with it too! When I had the P11 I was convinced it was the sights, but now that I am shooting another gun, similar in size, with the same problem I am thinking it is possible it is me.

Now I am not a bad shooter, I can shoot everything from .22 to 44mag in pistols and hit what I am aiming at. I can shoot single action 1911s and long double action revolvers accurately. I am wondering if there is just something special about sub-compact pistols that I don't know.

I haven't carried the DB9 for a while because I can carry my Glock 22 in a Raven vanguard just as easy, but I would like to have the option to, and know I could hit exactly where I am aiming if I had to.

Any tips?

Edit: I had other shoot both of these guns and they shot low for them too. I still think it is the gun, not the shooter, but I am interested in what you guys have to say. Are pocket guns supposed to shoot low? (doesn't make sense to me)

Uh, what do you consider point of aim. I have some handguns that when you align the top of the front sight up with the top of the rear sights, they hit right on top of the front sight. I have other handguns that when you align the same way, they hit behind the dot on the front sight. I even have one handgun that you sit the dot on top of the rear sight and it hits behind the dot.

I always thought it was a difference in design not a flaw in the gun or sights.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I have never, and many professionals in training or shooting will agree, had a gun come out of the box with the sights off. That's not to say it can't happen, but I would definitely look at my trigger pull first and foremost.
    :twocents:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i have had it happen. it was a rifle, so a little different. my first marlin 795 the sights were way off to the left. i was steadied on a bench, and took my first few shots, left. took a few more concentrating a little more on what i was doing, still left, great groups, but left about 6 inches. after about 50 shots or so, i decided to look at the gun a little more closely as i can generally hit what i am aiming at. found the rear sight way off the center line. tapped it as best i could to center and i was a lot closer to what my sight picture told me. every other gun ive owned has been on point from the factory.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    When I shoot my XDM at 10 yards POA is sight image 2. Moving up to 7 yards I have to use sight image 3 or my shots are all 2-3" low. At 25 yards image 1 gets me on target. All my other pistols are just a little bit different with POA-POI. What sight image are you using for that particular gun?

picture.php

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    When I shoot my XDM at 10 yards POA is sight image 2. Moving up to 7 yards I have to use sight image 3 or my shots are all 2-3" low. At 25 yards image 1 gets me on target. All my other pistols are just a little bit different with POA-POI. What sight image are you using for that particular gun?

picture.php
    I use #2 for all my other guns, and I was using #2 for this one too.

I have never, and many professionals in training or shooting will agree, had a gun come out of the box with the sights off. That's not to say it can't happen, but I would definitely look at my trigger pull first and foremost.
    :twocents:
    I agree, I have heard this too and that is why I was wondering what it could be, it my be a different sight picture design like mentioned above. Although it could be trigger pull, the weight isn't that bad and I can shoot double action revolvers just fine so I don't THINK it is that. (again, it could be, but i doubt it)

Ive got a PF 9 that does the same thing, way low. I have to just adjust my sight picture
    What sight picture (From the above chart) do you use?

Uh, what do you consider point of aim. I have some handguns that when you align the top of the front sight up with the top of the rear sights, they hit right on top of the front sight. I have other handguns that when you align the same way, they hit behind the dot on the front sight. I even have one handgun that you sit the dot on top of the rear sight and it hits behind the dot.

I always thought it was a difference in design not a flaw in the gun or sights.
    That is what I was thinking, I guess I will have to try a different sight picture. Kinda a pain in the butt though, I don't want to have to think of different sight pictures depending on what gun I am carrying. :/

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Different manufacturers seem to go for different versions of the sight picture, and it will vary with range. You may just have to figure out which one works for this pistol for a given range, and it may well be different to what you've used for everything else.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Different manufacturers seem to go for different versions of the sight picture, and it will vary with range. You may just have to figure out which one works for this pistol for a given range, and it may well be different to what you've used for everything else.
    That is what I am afraid of. I really don't want to have to think about what the sight picture the gun I am carrying is supposed to be. I would prefer all my sight pictures be the same on my carry guns. Looks like I will have to take it out again and try it out and see what I can figure out... It might end up in the classifieds. A glock 27 might be a better option for me, even if it is too big to pocket carry.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have three different handguns, and all hold differently at 7 yds due to barrel length and sight height.

Best thing to do is try shooting from a benchrest to determine your hold. The guns I shoot best are gtg at 21 ft with a number 2 hold.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Great Pict.

picture.php

Rocket, thanks for the diagram. When I go out with a "New Shooter" from now on, this will be my pict. to show them....MY art work (usually in the sand!!) is awful...HA HA...Bill.

Rep to ya..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know from personal experience with DB and their representatives that it is designed to use "tactical sighting" (Pic #3 in the diagram previously posted). Cover the target with your front post and it should raise up your POI. I have to do the same with my DB380.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I know from personal experience with DB and their representatives that it is designed to use "tactical sighting" (Pic #3 in the diagram previously posted). Cover the target with your front post and it should raise up your POI. I have to do the same with my DB380.
    I'll try it thanks

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Rocket, thanks for the diagram. When I go out with a "New Shooter" from now on, this will be my pict. to show them....MY art work (usually in the sand!!) is awful...HA HA...Bill.

Rep to ya..

LOL Thanks! I can't take credit for it. It was stolen, er borrowed from the internet.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    For anyone else that was wondering, I asked Diamondback about this and they said that they recommend the third sight picture on the diagram. I will try it out next time I got to the range!

canoeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I have had it happen and one of the reasons I have a hard time even thinking about buying a Ruger. I bought a Ruger SP101 3 inch ,357mag, the gun at 7 yards shot 18 inches low. I brought the owner of the range in... he shot 18 inches low. I sent it back to Ruger with a description of what happened.... I got the gun back with a reason of...I had no idea what I was doing. I hunt squirrels with a .22 handgun, deer with a .44mag handgun and a few self defense courses in my belt. I sent the gun back and when I got it back... they had filed the front sight down to nothing. I called the president of Ruger and he had me send the gun in and re-embursed me back for all of my expenses... I have not bought a Ruger since... that was a year or two ago.

Top Bottom