• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    I decided to pick up a Rugar LCP at the pawnshop down the street last month. It came with a pocket holster that the previous owner had bought. I've read a lot of threads where people have advised against pocket carry. Until I find a more appropriate holster, I'm going to use it. It does indeed cover the whole trigger guard. And I know that you shouldn't have anything else in that pocket. What else should I keep in mind? Also, I have noticed that when I sit down on the couch, at home, the gun is resting on my thigh facing forward instead of down toward the ground. I'm curious how other pocket carriers deal with that?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You have the bases covered. Don't let Kirk get you flustered.

As for sitting down, that is not ideal, but no worse than shoulder holsters that sweep people behind you.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I pocket carry in the manner you described quite a bit when I'm at home.

Honestly I don't think about the muzzle resting on my thigh facing forward until I cross my legs and notice it pointed directly at the calf of my left leg.

Most of the time I uncross my legs. Sometimes I don't :nailbite:

It is a DAO revolver with a 10+ lb trigger pull so I don't worry about it too much.

*ETA - Yes I realize if I ever shoot myself this post will make me look real dumb and that I sound like one of those guys Kirk is always talking about who think the 4 rules are old and busted. I don't. Honest.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    Opposite of what you see on TV, my wife is the one sitting in the recliner while I sit on the couch. The couch is further back from the TV than the recliner is. Last time I sat down, I notice it was facing directly toward her. I had to give it a 1/4 turn to feel comfortable.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    All I can say is change your method of carry when you can if you aren't comfortable with the one you currently have.

That specific rule is probably the one most broken. Shoulder holsters sweep people behind you. Pocket carry sometimes sweeps people in front of you. Appendix carry has you sweeping yourself. Even side carry could have you potentially sweeping people behind you on escalators and stairs too.

Im not against the rule or anything, but it happens fairly commonly.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think you are on your way. I wouldn't carry it like that until you get a new rig.

What are you getting? 5 Shot? Milt Sparks? What?

Just ordered this since I had an Amazon credit from my CC cash back bonus.

91unoHQAmTL._SY335_.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There are a few pocket holsters that have little 'wings' on them to keep them from rotating within the pocket. That's one avenue to pursue.

And I can guarantee that not all of your pants/shorts pockets are created equally. Some will be skinnier - and won't allow the gun to rotate as it has.

Do you know what kind of holster you have now? An Uncle Mikes, perhaps?

I have a Mika pocket holster for my revolver. No wings, but it's stout/sturdy and doesn't rotate in my pockets. Reinforced mouth opening, too.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    Go back and actually read what I wrote. I never said it rotated my pocket. I did the rotating because my gun was pointed toward my wife when I sit down.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe you should consider investing in an ankle holster? Less worry and more control of muzzle direction. It actually might be quicker to get to when sitting vs wadded up in your pocket. It could also serve as a BUG rig when you carry your full sized self defense pistol.

Last edited:

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    I just ordered this one from Amazon/Holstermart. When I'm not working, I wear tshirts. I figured this would ride high enough to not be seen and not interfere with sitting.
    A11cXXwpnfL._SL1500_.jpg

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I really like my Remora. It fills the pocket to keep the gun from moving around and it's designed so that when you pull the gun from the vast majority of pockets the holster stays in while the gun comes out. I use it with a 9mm Shield and it works quite well.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I pocket carry, but it depends upon what I'm wearing. It works well with my shorts, not so much some of my jeans with smaller pocket openings. As far as sweeping people, I don't get too concerned about it. Horizontal shoulder holsters sweep everyone, but if the trigger guard is covered and there is no finger on the trigger, I don't see an issue if it is holstered. When I pocket carry, it is my S&W Bodyguard 380. It has a long heavy-ish trigger, and I leave the safety on. I ordered a Kydex pocket holster from Alabamaholster.com (I was using a cheap nylon one I don't like)

I like having hard trigger guard protection, and it is designed to help eliminate printing. There is a sweat-guard you can push off with your thumb to dislodge the pistol from the holster, or draw and the hook aids in keeping the holster in the pocket. I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

Pocket carry isn't ideal in my opinion. I prefer IWB. But it is an option that works well for me sometimes.

front_pocket-300x300.jpg

Last edited:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I'm at the point where pocket carry is my last option to carry at work. As already said, not my first choice, but it is what it is. I researched pistols, holsters and trousers and went with what I thought was best for me. FYI, a fellow member (HPClayto) makes one helluva nice kydex pocket holster and spare mag carrier that leaves people clueless that I'm carrying.......................and believe me, my employer looks frequently.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I pocket carry all the time, the only drawback, is that it's harder to get out quickly while sitting down. Have an uncle Mikes pocket holster, not the best, but works for me.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I have a pocket holster for my LCP. I carry it in my back pocket without problems. Gun is totally covered and it looks just like a wallet. Works well for dress pants. Nice pick-up.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    I have a pocket holster for my LCP. I carry it in my back pocket without problems. Gun is totally covered and it looks just like a wallet. Works well for dress pants. Nice pick-up.

I have 1 like this for both my P3AT and P238. Molded leather for the gun stitched to a square patch of leather, rough side out to help hold it in the rear pocket when drawing the firearm. Looks like a wallet in my back pocket.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    I pocket carry everyday. As you've already said, nothing else in the pocket and make sure the trigger is covered. I carry an LCP regularly. It's in a remora pocket holster. It's even a size too big. It was originally for Kahr PM9, but I think it fits better. I had a buddy buy the one designed for the lcp and I think it was too tight. Even after wrapping it in a couple socks and leaving it in there over night.

I also pocket carry a Sig P938 in a Mika pocket holster (where that guy been btw? Every time I call or email I get no response.) You wanna talk about a dangerous way to carry. A single action, cocked and locked pistol in your pocket lol. No worries though. The holster not only covers the trigger, but the safety as well so you don't accidentally sweep it into fire mode. Though it would take more than a casual brush to disengage that safety.

Ive carried this way for years. I think it can give you a tactical advantage in a number of circumstances. The lcp of course, is just for shooting someone a few feet/yards away. The P938 is a different story. I can put 5-6" groups at 25 yards. I really love that gun!

Top Bottom