• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Does anyone on here carry a Kel Tec P3AT, or similarly sized pistol With a round chambered? If so are you using a pocket holster, or the belt clip that cam be purchased for some of these types. I am interested in having one, and using the belt clip to carry IWB. I have some concern in carrying this way without a holster to cover the trigger. Is there anyone that does that can give me some good, bad or indifferent things to keep an eye on? I have not purchased one of these yet, and input may be used to help make a decision also. I do regularly carry my XD45 in the same manner, but It is holstered, so I have no qualms about carrying condition 1, except when there is nothing to cover the trigger or no external safety. It the trigger pull long and heavy enough on this type of small pistol to be able to do it safely?

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I've carried a Kahr PM9 using a Desantis Nemesis holster quite a bit. I find that I just slip it IWB and it stays put just due to the tension of a belt quite well. It is too big of a gun for me to hide in my pocket so I just carry it IWB when I really am concerned about concealing.

I also would not feel comftorable without having the trigger covered. There are many solid options out there that provide a proper fit and cover the holster.

R33D0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    I have carried a ruger lcp which is almost identical to the keltec for a couple years now, I have carried it in the waistband and in a pocket holster. If you have a holster that covers the trigger you should be fine, and besides that on these little 380's the trigger pulls are incredibly long so I think it would be extremely hard to accidentally pull the trigger on it.

martinct

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I have a Ruger LCP, use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, slip it in, and it presents no larger than a cell phone. The holster covers the trigger, so I'm not worried about accidents. I do chamber a round because there is no point in carrying a gun without having it ready. With the P3AT and Ruger, there is no safety, so I'm always careful in handling it. But, there is a long, hard trigger pull on both. S&W makes a bodyguard that looks nice, too. I saw the review and it looked really nice. It does have an external safety. It has a laser and is about the same price as the Ruger, so I question the quality since, for $300 you get a gun and a laser. Sometimes those lasers are over $100!

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I carry one in my boot on a belt clip. It's only my BUG so I don't keep one chambered for the same concerns as you. I have done some testing with it unloaded and it does pretty good but I just can't get over the unprotected trigger.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I had planned to carry on a belt clip IWB. I have the pleasure of working in an unusual situation, where my operating owner is not opposed to me carrying a pistol, but seeing as I work in retail auto service, I would prefer not having to risk upsetting customers that are not pro gun. It is also not very comfortable to carry a full size firearm and have to bend and twist into some of the positions I find myself in. If I could have a more easily hidden and comfortable carry piece I could possibly carry with an empty chamber , in exchange for not having my pistol locked in a safe or vehicle.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I am looking into a LCP or LC9 and have been wondering the same things. I would want to carry with one chambered but do not feel that having an exposed trigger is the safest thing. I know the trigger pull is long but it still doesn't seem to safe to me.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    When I carry a BUG, I use a Desantis Superfly pocket holster. It is really sticky (stays in your pocket well).

I used to carry a P3AT BUG, but I sold it. I do not recommend it. I found it to be finicky with ammo and really too small. I'd recommend something like a Kahr 9mm for a pocket carry.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Have you guys looked at the Remora holsters? There's a few reviews of them on here, they're pretty minimalist as far as adding anything to the gun (no clips just a shroud that protects the trigger, with a high friction surface to keep the holster in place) but provide that protection of the trigger guard. Just one amongst several already mentioned here that can give you the piece of mind without making the small gun substantially larger.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I carry a P3AT everyday and I love it. I pocket carry it in a $10 Blackhawk size 1 pocket holster.
    Even though it has the stiff trigger I wouldn't carry without the trigger covered. I do carry mine with a round in the chamber.

Another route to look at is the kydex trigger guard holsters they have now. It snaps over and covers just the trigger guard. Then it has a lanyard you hook to your belt. It makes Mexican carry a safe method. Especially if you're just wanting carry using the pocket clip.
    The nice thing about pocket carry is that drawing the firearm is so inconspicuous, and you're not pulling at your shirt to get to your gun.
    Good luck in your search.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    I have the belt clip and carry with one in pipe. I use a kydex sleeve that covers trigger and slide. It doesn't interfere with the belt clip though. I got through a website I can't remember now (grandfather oak.com maybe?). I like the idea of just the kydex trigger guard that ties off to your beltloop, but your slide will get scuffed up. You can see videos of this youtube. P3at is a good little bug. Polish the feedramp and it will feed all types of ammo. They are pretty cheap right now too. I think I've seen them online (cdnn) for like $229.

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    My brother carries a Derringer in his pocket but not ready to go - obviously a bad idea when it's just floating in your pocket!

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    I carry my Ruger LCP all day every day. Round chambered, in a DeSantis pocket holster. I know it has a long heavy trigger pull, but I feel safer with the trigger covered.

Top Bottom