• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    Looking to get a pocket pistol(realized what I have is still too big). Friend has had a Ruger LCP and a Kel Tec P3AT. Just wanted to see which one of the two was favored on here or if there are other options I should consider.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Revolver for a pocket carry

Go revolver bro..

The Ruger LCR is my ( EDC ) everyday carry.

No magazines to worry about / no feeding issues etc.

The revolver always goes bang when you need the shot.

~TK

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I tried a used Ruger LCP first, but it wouldn't feed or fire reliably. So I got rid of the LCP and got a new Taurus TCP instead, but it won't feed well, even after 500 rounds. My next move is to get the feed ramp polished on it.

I hear all kinds of great things about the KelTec P3AT, and I don't see many threads about those not functioning correctly. So maybe that's the way to go.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I tried a used Ruger LCP first, but it wouldn't feed or fire reliably. So I got rid of the LCP and got a new Taurus TCP instead, but it won't feed well, even after 500 rounds. My next move is to get the feed ramp polished on it.

I hear all kinds of great things about the KelTec P3AT, and I don't see many threads about those not functioning correctly. So maybe that's the way to go.

^^More reasons to go Revolver..

JMO

~TK

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Can't lock the slide open on the Kel Tec, which would be a major negative for me. Had a TCP, wouldn't feed consistently. My LCP shoots reliably.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Looking to get a pocket pistol(realized what I have is still too big). Friend has had a Ruger LCP and a Kel Tec P3AT. Just wanted to see which one of the two was favored on here or if there are other options I should consider.
    Both do the same job, but I went in favor of the Ruger. Its just a smoother looking handgun.;)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Can't lock the slide open on the Kel Tec, which would be a major negative for me. Had a TCP, wouldn't feed consistently. My LCP shoots reliably.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The slide doesn't lock back on the LCP either — only the TCP. What'd you do with your TCP when it wouldn't feed: just get rid of it?

Last edited:

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have a TCP, I have had VERY few failures to feed. Maybe 3 in 300 rounds. But I've only put FMJ through it, and cheap FMJ at that, Tulammo, Wolf, American Eagle...

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have had both, and I would suggest going with the Ruger. Better fit, finish, trigger, and reliability from my experience. I would also suggest looking at the Sig 238. I replaced my LCP with it, and have been MUCH happier with it.

Turn Keys suggestion of getting a revolver is a valid argument, however, the smallest revolver is going to be 2 to 3X thicker than an LCP. If you want to carry it in your pocket, the small autos are much more discreet about imprinting, especially with a decent holster.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have shot better than 500 rounds through my LCP. No failures of any kind. One of my buddies has all kinds of problems with my LCP when he shoots it. I don't know if he's limp wristing it or what, but he has lots of trouble with it.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I use a Kel-Tec PF9 for pocket carry, that's 8 rounds of 9mm, not a bad gun to shoot. A revolver is thicker and like any gun, if you don't clean it it can also fail (cylinder won't turn, brass splits, etc).

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I love the P3AT.

I put the side clip on mine, and hides nicely, even in shorts. I have never had any problems with mine, well other than my family keeps taking mine, or people trade me for it, and i have to keep getting new ones. It is a good pocket pistol that i can count on. Hope this helps.

Jim W.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Brownsburg area
    My pocket pistol is a Beretta tomcat 32. It might not have the stopping power of my 9mm, but it is one time that size does matter. I can hide it much better.

Jim

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My vote would be for the LCP, reasonable priced compared to the Kahr and Sig which are priced more like full size handguns Not the greatest to take to the range and put more then 100rds through considering the size but fits the bill nice for a pocket pistol. Id got one of the first models that were recalled and changed out the recoil spring with a Wolff 13lb spring and polished the feed ramp and it will shoot any ammo I have tried.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    I have seen two LCPs shoot perfectly and one KelTec jam consistently. Not large enough of a sample to be scientific, but I trust my LCP. It is fun to practice with it one handed and pop off 6 rounds from 10 feet as fast as possibly into an IDPA target.

Top Bottom