• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    As far as I know, they are looking for 3-4 more part timers.

?? I've seen posts here from a couple of NRA basic pistol instructors that were told the same thing, " we appreciate your application but we're going a different direction.. I have to wonder what that direction is? .. Are you sure they are still looking for help?

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    ?? I've seen posts here from a couple of NRA basic pistol instructors that were told the same thing, " we appreciate your application but we're going a different direction.. I have to wonder what that direction is? .. Are you sure they are still looking for help?

They really want people with strong customer service skills. You can have all the gun knowledge in the world, but it doesn't matter if you can't deal with people.

cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    Would you like to explain how you can have even moderate customer service skills if you have a very limited knowledge about your product or service? This may very well go directly back to another thread that addressed what the pay scale is at PB. It's starting to appear that the criteria for hiring may be the people with "the strongest customer service skills that will work for $9 an hour. Since I plan on frequenting the shop in Greenwood I hope what appears to be their criteria for hiring doesn't result in the same dangerous situation that Carmel PB had.
    Just an after thought but and I don't have first hand knowledge of the NRA instructors but I would have to believe that relating to people would be a very important part of teaching an NRA pistol class. I'm pretty sure that is one of the things that the NRA training counselors expect out of the trainees to be certified to teach the course.

Last edited:

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I stopped back in today and used the range. It was nice and I will most definitely be back. It's nice having a good range a little bit closer to home. I even met hammertime

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    We visited the store last night. We didn't shoot but were greeted cordially and the the staff was most helpful. The gun prices we saw were in line with if not slightly less than other local stores we've been to. They have some range "specials" we'll be taking advantage of. Nice to meet you hammertime.

As for the above quote, it's what some folks here do. They don't like some policy or law so they claim their "rights" are being violated and they don't have to comply. I think of them as perpetually looking for a reason to be offended!

What is the consequence to the business/property owner if ATF finds someone at the range without their stamp?

The folks I know with class III items ALWAYS keep a copy of their stamp in their possession.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    What is the consequence to the business/property owner if ATF finds someone at the range without their stamp?

The folks I know with class III items ALWAYS keep a copy of their stamp in their possession.

Nothing happens to the facility if you are using an unlicensed or improper firearm. The responsibility falls upon the user.
    You are not required to have your stamp or a copy of it on you. You do have a reasonable amount of time to produce it to show to the proper agents. Just because something is "policy" does not make it right. I, as others have stated, vote with my money. Since I do not wish to be singled out because of the type of firearm I shoot I do not shop at Point Blank any more. Previously I did but when it was demanded that I show my tax stamp for my SBR I decided that establishment wouldn't see any more of my money. I have gotten more than a few messages from people thanking me for bringing this to the public's attention. If they were to exercise the same "policy check" upon everyone would that bother anyone? What would happen if everyone had to show a receipt that they paid sales tax for any firearm they brought into the facility? Would that upset anyone?
    In the context of the original post that started this thread it shows what $9 an hour will provide. Especially since they are more concerned about the "customer service" then safety and knowledge that a minimal wage will provide.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    Personally I wouldn't want to dig out my stamp and have my address available as a person that has NFA items for reasons of my own security.

In all fairness, they take your DL info and put it into the system anyways, if that was your concern there. I may have misread that.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I believe we had an INGO Member pulled over, and his SBR confiscated because he did not have his tax stamp with him. Anyone else remember that?

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    In the context of the original post that started this thread it shows what $9 an hour will provide. Especially since they are more concerned about the "customer service" then safety and knowledge that a minimal wage will provide.

I work at the Carmel location. And yes, they pay me $9 an hour. Do I have an answer as to why they want you to show your stamp? No. That would probably be a good question to ask our owner, I'm sure Tom has a reasoning behind it. As far as to the level of safety and knowledge my fellow employees have, I can't answer that. I can only speak for myself. I have been shooting and hunting for 22 years, since I was 16. I'm an NRA certified RSO. I'm a lifetime First Family member at Front Sight in Nevada and have taken pistol and rifle courses there. I've also taken training from former Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell and at Guardian Firearms Academy. I have shot tactical rifle competitions, speed shotgun, Friday Night Steel, and attended an Appleseed. Most recently I'm proud to have taken Hunters Education with my 10 year old daughter. I have never had an N.D. I don't claim to be an expert on all things firearm related, but I take pride in being very safe. I have 3 children at home, one of whom has special needs, so safety is paramount for me. That's what keeps our hobby going. And that's what this is for me, Point Blank is my hobby job.
    I have a regular job, as many of my coworkers do. It isn't the money that keeps me going in to work there, I truly enjoy it.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Would you like to explain how you can have even moderate customer service skills if you have a very limited knowledge about your product or service?

If someone is trainable, they can be taught to some degree and over time be fairly good at their job.

It's a lot harder to train someone in people skills. There's a lot of, well, stupid, out there anymore. It's much harder to teach someone patience and customer skills than it is about a product.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If someone is trainable, they can be taught to some degree and over time be fairly good at their job.

It's a lot harder to train someone in people skills. There's a lot of, well, stupid, out there anymore. It's much harder to teach someone patience and customer skills than it is about a product.
    I"m not sure I agree. Patience is something, I believe most people have and it is necessary for customer service just as product knowledge is. I speak from experience when I say that patience it not a virtue where gun safety is concerned. I've known the owner at Parabellum for over 30 years, I help out and teach classes there a few days a week. At last count I have had over 300 people in classes this year with no IDs or bloodshed of any kind in any of my classes. That being said I don't think anyone would question my patience but there but there's a time and place for it. Most people are too patient with those they don't know and not patient enough with those they are familiar with. I have little or no patience where safety violations are concerned. People expect to be safe when learning to shoot or shopping for a firearm and "requesting" that a pistol not be pointed at me might be the patient thing to do but not the intelligent one. I believe most people are born with patience, knowledge and customer service skills are learned. As you stated there is a lot of stupid out there and it surprises me that you think you can take someone that you consider stupid and teach them anything. Stupid but definition is "showing a lack of ability to learn". Good luck teaching them gun knowledge and customer service no matter what their pay scale is.
    In all fairness, they take your DL info and put it into the system anyways, if that was your concern there. I may have misread that.
    My concern is not having my info but having my info tied to a NFA item. Not to cast aspersions on people I don't know but I seriously doubt that background checks are done before hiring (not that I would realistically expect that from any gun shop). I can say that I personally know of at least two shops that have fired numerous employees for theft, it's the world we live in. I don't think that being concerned about my DL information tied to NFA items and having NO idea who has access to that database is being unreasonable.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Last edited:

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I've learned a lot from this thread. Some stuff about NFA that I never knew.

Re some of the Point Blank bashing, in no particular order...
    It's interesting that people are willing to show their DL in order to shoot at an indoor range, but won't show a tax stamp.
    People dislike PB's policies enough to say they will go elsewhere, but yet every "elsewhere" has rules that are equally stupid, or worse. How many gun shops around Indy have a "no loaded guns" sign? PB got that one right. Although this is improving, I can think of at least two, and one of them is the busiest in town and its owner has been nominated for sainthood by some folks. How many ranges require you to shoot their ammo (in some calibers), or don't allow reloads? Yet, these places are still in business.
    We still go to gun shows, yet every gun show I know of has a "no guns" policy.
    Do any of the other shops in Indy pay higher wages? Given the quality of the help I've encountered, I'm guessing not. So if one avoids PB, he won't find much difference elsewhere.
    Considering PB's pricing, they could afford to pay more than $9. I find the idea of paying knowledgeable, competent people minimum wage to be exploitative, but if they can get adequate folks for that wage, they will continue to do so. I find it sad that people will allow themselves to be exploited in this manner, but I guess everyone knows what their own time is worth.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I"m not sure I agree. Patience is something, I believe most people have and it is necessary for customer service just as product knowledge is. I speak from experience when I say that patience it not a virtue where gun safety is concerned. I've known the owner at Parabellum for over 30 years, I help out and teach classes there a few days a week. At last count I have had over 300 people in classes this year with no IDs or bloodshed of any kind in any of my classes. That being said I don't think anyone would question my patience but there but there's a time and place for it. Most people are too patient with those they don't know and not patient enough with those they are familiar with. I have little or no patience where safety violations are concerned. People expect to be safe when learning to shoot or shopping for a firearm and "requesting" that a pistol not be pointed at me might be the patient thing to do but not the intelligent one. I believe most people are born with patience, knowledge and customer service skills are learned. As you stated there is a lot of stupid out there and it surprises me that you think you can take someone that by you consider stupid and teach them anything. Stupid but definition is "showing a lack of ability to learn". Good luck teaching them gun knowledge and customer service.
    [FONT=&amp][/FONT]

I was talking about someone working a retail floor, not acting as a range master, etc. And my comment about the "stupid", it wasn't on the employee's part, it was about the people that come in.

You visit a gun store often, so I'm sure you've heard a lot of people talk about their guns and because it's theirs they know it inside and out, but when they speak it's a facepalm moment that would give you a concussion. Tons of people who own guns yet know absolutely nothing about them. That's the patience I was referring to, you have to have a person with good people skills to be able to put up with the people who think they know everything yet know nothing. And I'm sure you've been into stores where people tell hunting stories or shooting stories where no one really cares, yet they continue to tell it and continue to ear rape others around them.

Safety can be taught, some product knowledge can be taught but a lot develops over time, but if you don't like people, then someone shouldn't work retail.

As for comments about salary, it's a retail shop. PB is a retail business that is in it to make money. Spread over however many stores they have, does anyone know the true amount of overhead they have to pay for? How much it cost to build the building, the shooting range, insurance for both, salary spread over every store? If one store is having slow sales then the others have to make up, etc. This is just me thinking semi logically. They're a business. They're in the business to make money, not to break even after profits and expenses.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Someone sent me this and I just had to share it. It's from the movie Casablanca.

[video=youtube_share;LQfdSBq7flw]http://youtu.be/LQfdSBq7flw[/video]​

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Went by tonight just to check the new place out. Pretty nice. There are some things I like better than the Carmel location and some that I don't like as well, but overall the place looks great. Looking forward to stopping by tomorrow for some range time :ar15:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Went by tonight just to check the new place out. Pretty nice. There are some things I like better than the Carmel location and some that I don't like as well, but overall the place looks great. Looking forward to stopping by tomorrow for some range time :ar15:

Do tell. I have my preferences too, but I'm interested in your take.

Obviously the staff is better up North... ;)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    My wife and I shot for an hour on the "Date Night" price yesterday afternoon at the Greenwood store. Nice range and had a good time. It was not crowded at all. Ran into a couple of friends and everybody commented favorably on the ventilation system. $15 for two shooters, one hour, one lane, is a pretty good deal. I wonder if they get really busy later on Friday. Only thing I didn't particularly care for is ejected brass can, and often does, go over the top of the dividers into the next shooting stall.

And, by the way, us reloaders wish to thank those who don't clean up when they leave a lane. We appreciate the brass! :):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Do tell. I have my preferences too, but I'm interested in your take.

Obviously the staff is better up North... ;)

The layout is... odd. I like the way the counter is setup for the range better, but I really don't like going through the "lounge" area to get to the range. Also, there is even less space for getting into your range bag to get ears and eyes and get them on, which is a bit of a pain. Yeah, I know you can just do it right there with everyone around you, but it would seem better thought out if there was an area where this could be done out of the way of everyone else. At least at the Carmel location the sales counter to the right of the door makes a convenient space for this. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom