• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    I think pay is irrelevant. I for example dont work there for the money. I work there as a second job to get out of the house and be around something I enjoy.
    It's great if you are in the position that you don't need the money but money IS the primary reason most of us have a job. PB is going to get people to work as cheap as they can because that makes the bottom line look good. If I owned the business that would of course be a concern for me. I still believe that pay scale tends to indicate the experience and knowledge of the workforce and a top notch work force is important in any business . Graduates from MIT tend to make more than graduates from ITT tech for a reason. Nothing wrong with ITT but it's a little tougher getting into and through MIT. From what I see in your post, AppleCare info, and some of the classes connected with INGO you've been involved in I would have to assume that you "on the ball" VS under it. I can't imagine that everyone there is clocked in just for the enjoyment. My point being, from what I've gathered here on INGO PB has turned down what appear to be very qualified people for some unknown reason and when you can't find any apparent logic behind a decision a good rule of thumb is, follow the money. I hope you enjoy your time there and don't have any experiences that detract from that. Just saying that maybe for you pay is irrelevant but for most it is the prime motivator for why we show up and higher pay does, in most cases indicate a higher trained and more knowledgeable employee. Again, if I owned the business, that is what I would prefer in what could be a potentially dangerous business environment.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Funny thing is, if Management hired nothing but $20/hour experts like you want, then you'd be complaining that the prices are too high.

You should start up a Point Blank caliber gun shop then. Show us how its done!

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Funny thing is, if Management hired nothing but $20/hour experts like you want, then you'd be complaining that the prices are too high.

I disagree with you. I think people are so concerned that other people be paid a fair wage they will be more than happy to pay the higher prices. If you don't believe me then just do a search on people looking for gun shops that pay their employees more so that they can buy their next new gun there to support that wage. Also do a search on how happy people were to pay $5 to watch a safety video. They were more than happy to pay $5 because they knew it went toward increased safety and higher pay for the employees.

cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville

You should start up a Point Blank caliber gun shop then. Show us how its done!
    I don't think that anyone would dispute the fact that Point Blank has the best facilities (range/gunshop) in the city. I'm told, 3 Million to put the building/range up and inventory the store. Not being an expert in the field but with my limited knowledge and experience I would imagine that is a realistic estimate. That being the case why would you cut costs on your employees? A state of the art facility should have the same in employees since they are the direct link with the customers. I wouldn't expect them to pay $20 an hour but I would expect a higher wage than the other shops pay and $9 an hour is certainly not that number.. Ideally employees with more experience and knowledge should make more because it rewards those that have schooled themselves and gives the people with less experience a goal to work toward.. Our PC world says everyone should make the same pay (a Democrat and labor union idea that they have used to effectively destroy themselves).
    In spite of what some would tell you everyone is NOT equal. If you can, explain what is wrong with the premise that more skills and knowledge should command more pay. The guy that runs the backhoe makes more money than the guy than digs with a shovel because he accomplishes more and has more skills. But I digress.
    To respond to your question. You work at Point Blank so you have skin in the game whereas I have none. I would expect to pay a little more, and be happy to, in a state of the art facility. I'm not comfortable at any price when I have possible concerns about IDs in the showroom as evidenced in the quote below referencing an incident at Point Blank in Carmel.
    Reality is you get exactly what you pay for, to cite an example that most here can relate to, buy a Hi-Point or a Glock. They both do the same job but which one is more reliable out of the box and over the long haul, it's you call.

Having gone there pretty much every weekend since they opened, I can say that this was an isolated event and is hardly typical of the place. I'm in there a lot and have never seen any safety issues. I'm not saying they don't happen on occasion, but that it can happen anywhere. Point Blank let the two involved go, so they did what they felt they needed to for the safety of their patrons. Not sure what else anyone would want. I'll say that I'll continue going there and am perfectly comfortable doing so.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not everyone has a $20/hr skill level. Maybe some day, but not at a given point in time. Should someone pay him $20/hr when he has a $9/hr skill set? Of course not. However, the guy with the $9/hr skill set will never get the $20/hr skill set if no one hires him at $9/hr and lets him learn and earn his way to $20/hr.

If a person has a $20/hr skill set, he should be working for that and obviously the $9/hr job is not for him. Would I like the demands of a $9/hr job and make what I do now? Many times I would, but that would make no sense for anyone. What you pay for a given job is dependent on many things, but from the employer's perspective, he should pay the amount necessary to obtain the person who will perform the tasks needed, reliably. If that is $9/hr. So be it. Paying $20/hr does not guarantee that the job you are hiring for will get done better.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Not everyone has a $20/hr skill level. Maybe some day, but not at a given point in time. Should someone pay him $20/hr when he has a $9/hr skill set? Of course not. However, the guy with the $9/hr skill set will never get the $20/hr skill set if no one hires him at $9/hr and lets him learn and earn his way to $20/hr.

If a person has a $20/hr skill set, he should be working for that and obviously the $9/hr job is not for him. Would I like the demands of a $9/hr job and make what I do now? Many times I would, but that would make no sense for anyone. What you pay for a given job is dependent on many things, but from the employer's perspective, he should pay the amount necessary to obtain the person who will perform the tasks needed, reliably. If that is $9/hr. So be it. Paying $20/hr does not guarantee that the job you are hiring for will get done better.

You are exactly on the mark.. Couldn't have said if better so I'll just say DITTO. REP inbound
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    It really pains some people that some of us are willing to work there for the offered wages, when they weren't.

I'm done talking about wages, nothing is going to convince you that I could possibly be as good as you, so I'm not going there anymore.

We'll just continue to offer great service, great facilities and reasonable prices and let the chips fall where they may.

NRA Member-- USPSA member, SCSA member
    M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor / Certified NRA RSO

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It really pains some people that some of us are willing to work there for the offered wages, when they weren't.

I'm done talking about wages, nothing is going to convince you that I could possibly be as good as you, so I'm not going there anymore.

We'll just continue to offer great service, great facilities and reasonable prices and let the chips fall where they may.

M&P Armorer

Met another INGO member there for lunch and he was so impressed he bought a membership. I think Point Blank is going to do fine. I know I'll continue to go.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

M&P Armorer

I don't think anyone intended to inflict any pain and I didn't see anyone question your qualifications. I also don't think this is a Point Blank issue but an issue of the best way to keep people that are supposedly trained from doing stupid things. I don't know how often you are doing NRA classes but the classes I've done this year has made me realize how many people have guns and no idea about handling them safely. I've come to one simple conclusion. If someone will point an unloaded pistol at you they will point a loaded one at you because they don't have the presence of mind to know the difference . For me this discussion is for the most part about safety and the best way to embed that thought into anyone that owns a firearm. People that work at a gun shop are held to a higher standard. Right or wrong that's just the way it is. You work with firearms every day so you are expected to know more about them that the guy you selling one to. It's not about $9 and hour or $20, it's about having people that are qualified to do what they do.The skill set for someone working at a gun shop is somewhat unique when compared to other venues that have similar pay. Where Point Blank is concerned, it is a state of the art facility IMHO and since it's in my neighborhood I will, more than likely patronize them (actually already have). Just as everyone in the range is technically an RSO, no matter what shop I"m in or what side of the counter I'm on I won't let anyone compromise my safety. If I see something at any shop that makes me uncomfortable I will call them out. If I thought paying everyone $20 an hour would assure safety for all I would lobby for it but I'm not that naive. My suggestion for Point Blank or any other shop is to vett employees on basic firearms safety knowledge as part of the hiring process no matter what the pay scale. Just my .02

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    My suggestion for Point Blank or any other shop is to vett employees on basic firearms safety knowledge as part of the hiring process no matter what the pay scale. Just my .02[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

Exactly right!

I assume that because you are not paying your students to be in your class you probably find that money has nothing to do with them being safe with a gun or not. If it did, then they could come in and you could give them each a $20 and say "NOW GO and BE SAFE"..

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom