• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    That's not what the police said, or did. They got a call that a guy may be a little on the insane side, found out he'd bought a bunch of guns, and took the appropriate precautions to ensure a safe and peaceful resolution. The cops, in this case, haven't accused the guy of anything, charged him with anything, nor did they come after the guy JUST because he owned firearms.

Now, whether whatever the guy's employer's told the authorities that caused them to act in such a fashion had any merit, or whether they were making crap up to cover their butts from some sort of wrongdoing... that's the real question.

"Because he was known to have weapons, police wanted to defuse the situation and ensure the man wasn't a danger to himself or others before the neighborhood awakened and people started their daily activities, Hansen said."

Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen made the above statment (in red). So YES, they DID come after the guy JUST because he owned firearms. The man committed no crime. This man is gulity of losing his job, purchasing firearms, and being pissed off. Take him in for observation (72 hrs. in IN) but keep your hands off his firearms!!

Last edited:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    lost job (legal) bought firearms (legal) pissed off (legal). jbt under direct control of liberal government doing what thier masters ordered (illegal). sounds like business as usual at the precint. nothing to see here folks move along.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Well, this story is getting a little national play it seems. It was picked by Radley Balko. From his blog...

Oregon Officials Consult Precogs, Arrest Man for Bloody Shooting Spree That Killed Four Next Week | The Agitator

Now perhaps a recent layoff, the legal purchase of three guns, and concerns from former co-workers are indeed red flags that someone’s planning a rampage. And maybe this arrest really did save lives. But there’s a phrase we use (police state) to describe the sort of society where the police can come into your home, arrest you, commit you to a mental facility, and confiscate your legally-obtained property on no more than a hunch that you might commit some crime in the near future.

I can't say his assessment of the situation is too far off. Pre-crime - and just how much is acceptable, if any. The reason will always be given "it can save lives." Is that good enough? Is "dissaperaing" someone to a mental institution acceptable when no charges are filed?

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Don't you guys remember the proactive part of the Constitution? Its right after the right to abortion and before Universal Healthcare.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Police act swiftly after gun purchases | MailTribune.com

Police act swiftly after gun purchases
    ODOT worker who'd been put on leave is mentally evaluated after buying handguns, AK-47

March 09, 2010

By Anita Burke
    Mail Tribune
    Concerns about an Oregon Department of Transportation employee who purchased several guns after being placed on leave prompted law enforcement across Southern Oregon to step in.

Negotiators and a SWAT team from Medford police safely took a man — whose name wasn't released — into protective custody Monday morning in the 500 block of Effie Street, Medford police said in a news release.

He was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center for a mental-health evaluation.

The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job and was "very disgruntled," the news release said.

ODOT Communications Director Patrick Cooney said there were administrative, personnel matters involved that limited what the department could discuss.

However, the state agency had reported concerns about the man to law enforcement agencies, who started monitoring him, officials said.

"We had concerning information regarding a personnel issue and were watching the subject," Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said.

In two days, the man bought a Heckler & Koch .45-caliber universal self-loading handgun, a Walther .380-caliber handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle, Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said. All of those firearms were purchased legally, with required record checks by the Oregon State Police.

Authorities were "extremely concerned" that the man may have been planning to retaliate against his employers, the news release said.

"Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach," OSP Sgt. Jeff Proulx said.

Douglas and Jackson County sheriff's departments, OSP officers based in both counties and police in Medford and Roseburg collaborated, he said.

Medford police watched the man's home overnight, starting at about 9 p.m. Sunday, Hansen said.

Because he was known to have weapons, police wanted to defuse the situation and ensure the man wasn't a danger to himself or others before the neighborhood awakened and people started their daily activities, Hansen said.

Medford's hostage negotiators and SWAT team were called in at 3 a.m. Monday and arrived on the scene at about 5:45 a.m., he said.

About a dozen officers responded. They closed the street for about an hour and evacuated three homes to protect neighbors and prevent bystanders from gathering, he said.

After a phone conversation with negotiators, the man — who was alone in the home — agreed to come out, Hansen said.

Police seized the recently purchased firearms, as well as another .45-caliber Heckler & Koch handgun and a 12-gauge shotgun. Police are holding the weapons for safekeeping, but no criminal charges have been filed.

Reach reporter Anita Burke at 541-776-4485, or e-mail aburke@mailtribune.com.

Wow, the “Thought Police” are here?

Since he had done nothing wrong, nor was he 'adjudicated mentally defective', I don't see how they can hold him at all.

He should keep his mouth shut, get a good lawyer and after he is released, demand a public apology from the police dept.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    sounds like that movie where you just think about doin' something bad....then bam!! there's the cops.....what was that movie:dunno:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yeah the one with Tom Cruise in it as a cop whos accused of a future murder. yep it does seem like that he was punished for a POSSIBLE but not likely future act. maybe buying guns at his time of sadness brought him comfort. maybe now he will flip out?? never know. i do know that nothing brightens up my day more than buying a new/used gun!!

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    So if I get a ticket for speeding on the way to the gun store and am obviously upset and unhappy about it, but do nothing and I then continue to the store and they have the sale of the century and buy 3 or 4 firearms, I should expect the cops to show up and take me to get evaluated while they wake up all my neighbors and let them know there are guns in my house?

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In my best "comic book guy" voice, "Best quote ever!"
    "Freedom is a b**ch sometimes. It means that you have to leave people alone until they actually do something wrong." -- Rambone
    rep'd!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Wow. This is unbelievable. The only authority the police had in this instance was to keep a watch at their own discretion. Welcome to the US...2.0.

This weekend I am digging a hole in my back yard for a new patio. I plan on placing my "time capsule" underneath it. My "time capsule" will be complete with an AK-47 and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Wow. This is unbelievable. The only authority the police had in this instance was to keep a watch at their own discretion. Welcome to the US...2.0.

This weekend I am digging a hole in my back yard for a new patio. I plan on placing my "time capsule" underneath it. My "time capsule" will be complete with an AK-47 and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

It's a well known time capsule now. :twocents:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana

It's a well known time capsule now. :twocents:

I thought the same thing, but as soon as he thinks about digging it up, the Precogs will know anyway.:shady:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The "news" has picked up on the man's supporters. A gun owners group is speaking out in support of him and the cops say they're going to let him have them back when they get done with their paperwork. Just like New Orleans, no doubt. Video at the source.
    Here

There's a phrase for places like this. Police State. I hope he sues them and gets a huge pay day. If there were any justice they'd be forced to go unarmed for an equal amount of time as part of the suit.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Lots of people have asked that question, Kirk. And so far, I've seen no answer from anyone. I'd be willing to bet there's no statute that allows for it in Oregon. Maybe they got him for disturbing the peace or resisting arrest?

Top Bottom