• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I posted this in the self defense forum as it seemed more appropriate than political. The self defense involved is legal defense, but self defense just the same. A New Jersey man who was facing years in prison after being falsely charged with resisting arrest has had all charges against him dropped after a police dash cam video was shown in court.

The video from a second police car purportedly shows Bloomfield, NJ, cops Orlando Trinidad and Sean Courter violently attack and arrest Marcus Jeter, who faced prison on charges such as eluding police and assault.

Police dash cam video exonerates New Jersey man, leads to indictment of cops* - NY Daily News

[video=youtube;HQB7Ukd7gfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQB7Ukd7gfk[/video]

[video=youtube;GVaU8qm2LhQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVaU8qm2LhQ[/video]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    One can see WHY we have such bitter fights over police video.

The harder I have to fight them for the video, the better the video is for the defendant.

Everything should be recorded or it did not happen.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I grew up not very far from where this happened. Unfortunately there seems to be a disproportionate ratio of scumbag cops to honest ones. Growing up, I had cops steal personal property from me more than once, violate my fourth amendment, intimidate me, etc. In high school, I saw a cop grab a classmate who weighed maybe 145 pounds soaking wet by the collar and throw him bodily into the ground, all because the kid had a cup of soda and the officer thought it contained alcohol. In college, I delivered food in very bad areas around Newark, Irvington, and the Oranges. I was pulled over more times than I care to count for trumped up PC. I found myself disgusted more often than not by police in that state, so this story does not surprise me. There was an overall extreme (literally, extreme!) level of arrogance, self-righteousness, and aggression on their part during many encounters with them during my 14 years residing in that hell hole.

A prime example: My elementary school DARE officer, Officer Michael Megna, was charged in 2006 for being part of a drug and steroid smuggling ring, along with 5 other borough officers.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    One can see WHY we have such bitter fights over police video.

The harder I have to fight them for the video, the better the video is for the defendant.

Everything should be recorded or it did not happen.
    I've thought about getting a dash cam myself. Thoughts? I have no idea about the legality of it so it may be illegal and I just don't know it.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    I'll probably get flamed for this and granted this is not a completely worked out thought, but here it goes.

It is time for police officers to have to carry their own liability or 'malpractice' insurance. Not the department paying for it with tax payer's money, but the officer themselves paying for it. Here's the kicker. If you work in a department with a high number of bad officers with judgements against their liability insurance due to them being scumbags....well guess what, your insurance premiums go up. That's how it works in other industries. It's time for departments to take out their trash. This will ONLY happen when it hurts them NOT to.

Your thoughts?

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    What is shocking to me is that the video that exonerated this poor guy was not destroyed.

Hopefully the tables are turned and now these cops are facing years behind bars.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Glad to see the end results. Those cops deserve to lose their badges and go to jail.

How about sending them to jail WITH their badges? They were cops while they were thugs hiding behind those badges, they should be made to wear them while in jail also. That might scare any other cop with proclivities towards violence into reconsidering their career choice.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Another day another doughnut. Those cops in the most anti-liberty states are the worst. New Jersey, Massachusetts, New York, California just seem to be the most draconian.

What possible defense could those two that pleaded not guilty have? Interesting to see how this plays out.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    ... That might scare any other cop with proclivities towards violence into reconsidering their career choice.

Hate to rain on the parade, but the entire point of having police is for them to do violent or dangerous things. A cop that isn't inclined towards violence wont execute his duties very well either.

How about we just start hiring cops with more character, and perhaps some better training? That way they behave violently towards the proper people. ;)

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    You have a smart phone? Android? You can get dash cam apps for it that track gps speed, record video and sound, and do so while the phone is locked.

I use one daily.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    After seeing videos such as this over the years I decided that if I ever get pulled over I'm going to hit the OnStar button and tell the operator to listen and record what goes down. Just in case.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    I'll probably get flamed for this and granted this is not a completely worked out thought, but here it goes.

It is time for police officers to have to carry their own liability or 'malpractice' insurance. Not the department paying for it with tax payer's money, but the officer themselves paying for it. Here's the kicker. If you work in a department with a high number of bad officers with judgements against their liability insurance due to them being scumbags....well guess what, your insurance premiums go up. That's how it works in other industries. It's time for departments to take out their trash. This will ONLY happen when it hurts them NOT to.

Your thoughts?

:):

Top Bottom