• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Cops were dispatched to collect the books, How To Tie My Shoes and Eloise's Birthday from a 5-year-old girl in Charlton, Massachusetts.

Police Visit Home Over Overdue Library Books
    A Massachusetts mom said police went too far when they paid her and her 5-year-old daughter a visit for failing to return their library books on time. "She's 5; she didn't understand," said Shannon Benoit of her daughter, Hailey.

Police said Tuesday that an officer showed up last week at the Benoit's home in the town of Charlton to inform the family that the books were long overdue.

Hailey -- who was standing beside her mom when the officer arrived -- then burst into tears. 'Is that policeman going to arrest me?' Benoit quoted her daughter to CNN affiliate WBZ-TV. "I was scared," added Hailey.

The Police Chief says that overdue library books are the equivalent of stolen property.

Officers were sent to over a dozen homes taking back library books.

"I asked the chief... 'When does something borrowed become stolen?" said Cheryl Hansen. "'The chief said, 'When it's overdue!"

"Hansen said that despite a warning letter and library calls made to the family, the books had remained unreturned.

Police Chief James A. Pervier said his officers have been asked by library personnel to make similar visits to at least 13 other Charlton households over library late fees.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I've heard stories about 5 year old girls. If I were one of the cops, I would have had my weapon drawn and held onto it with a firm grip.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    As much as it appears to be overkill I think the library was justified in doing it.

"Hansen said that despite a warning letter and library calls made to the family, the books had remained unreturned."

She also noted $100 worth of late fees for overdue audio books checked out by Hailey's father, Tony Benoit.

The library tried to settle the matter and the family still didn't return the books. A 5 year old may not know better but her parents do. I'd about bet the library called the parents & not the kid to get the stuff back. The books were overdue from April sounds like theft to me. The moral of this story is to return things when they are due, don't steal and the nice LEO won't have to come knocking on your door. See problem solved.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    the 5 year old got off easy this time. the next time they will yell stop resisting and give her a lesson. the little felon wont do it again.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    It's called theft by borrower. It's a felony. A 5 year old is most likely not able to obtain a library card so it falls on the parents. For a dirty thief like her mother to be contacting the press about how traumitized her daughter was is complete crap. Take some damn responsibility for your own actions instead of trying to make your "wrong" look better than what you perceive to be someone else's "wrong."

It's also pretty damn amazing that the responses sound like some of the previous posters. People on this site **** and moan constantly about thieves and how they should be shot, cheer when a Kroger employee kills a robber, but doesn't recognize LE's role in solving these issues without violence. I guess it's only theft if it's your ****...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm gonna have to side with the library on this one. Ignorant, irresponsible, ****tards crying to some hippie fish wrap newspaper about their kid being traumatized by the cops? This is how dumb society has become, and I'm afraid it's gonna get worse. If you don't want your kid to see cops on your door step, DON'T STEAL STUFF! If someone stole, say, a book, from me, I'd want the cops to make an attempt to get it back, and I wouldn't care if some morons dopey kid got upset over it.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    It's called theft by borrower. It's a felony. A 5 year old is most likely not able to obtain a library card so it falls on the parents. For a dirty thief like her mother to be contacting the press about how traumitized her daughter was is complete crap. Take some damn responsibility for your own actions instead of trying to make your "wrong" look better than what you perceive to be someone else's "wrong."

It's also pretty damn amazing that the responses sound like some of the previous posters. People on this site **** and moan constantly about thieves and how they should be shot, cheer when a Kroger employee kills a robber, but doesn't recognize LE's role in solving these issues without violence. I guess it's only theft if it's your ****...

Responsibility is one thing. Sending out the Gestapo to frighten and intimidate a little girl is excessive no matter how you slice it. Also probably did not do wonders for her opinion of law enforcement later in her life.

I'll tell you this. You come after my kids, I don't care what uniform you have on.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Responsibility is one thing. Sending out the Gestapo to frighten and intimidate a little girl is excessive no matter how you slice it. Also probably did not do wonders for her opinion of law enforcement later in her life.

I'll tell you this. You come after my kids, I don't care what uniform you have on.

Conduct yourself as a responsible parent and it won't happen. Raise your kids to respect other people's property and it won't happen. It is excessive that the library is not able to get their things back without sending the police because the parents don't respond to letters and phone calls to turn it back in. Never is the professionalism of the officer questioned. I'm sure if he threatened to arrest the kid, the parent would have pointed that out. No matter how you slice it, the situation could have been easily avoided by the parents.

And referring to me and my profession as the Gestapo shows how you already feel about us. I know, we are the bad guy to people who think their freedom trumps anyone else's rights.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I don't agree with any of this. The library has options, they could go to small claims court for one to get reimbursed. Even still, I can't believe the po po actually followed up on this huge pile of :poop:!

My sisters car was stolen, we told the cops who did it, gave address and everything, they didn't even bother to follow up on it for 9 freaking days! How often do petty thefts like this go reported and filed in the trash?

Read the comments if you really want to see how f'd up these libtards are. One lady says that authorities from the state should come in and do an investigation!?!

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I don't agree with any of this. The library has options, they could go to small claims court for one to get reimbursed. Even still, I can't believe the po po actually followed up on this huge pile of :poop:!

My sisters car was stolen, we told the cops who did it, gave address and everything, they didn't even bother to follow up on it for 9 freaking days! How often do petty thefts like this go reported and filed in the trash?

Read the comments if you really want to see how f'd up these libtards are. One lady says that authorities from the state should come in and do an investigation!?!

So...the library should use your tax dollars to hire an attorney and take the 5 year old to small claims court?

I understand your frustration with your sister's car not appearing to be a priority but would you rather that all LE make a small deal out of everything or deal with something like this quickly and efficiently?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    The 5 year old has nothing to do with the situation. the mother was home at the time, and the child merely reacted to the presence of an officer coming to their home and speaking with the responsible party i.e. the mother. If you don't return what you agreed to return by a set date after multiple warnings you have stolen the item and there is nothing wrong with reporting it as such to the police.

I would love to hear what exactly the police did wrong: if you actually read the woman's account she essentially complains that the policeman's visit scared her child despite the fact that it was both warranted and done while the mother was present.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    If i was that department i would rethink how this is handled just for public PR .....and trust........

I would love to see the police report on this
    ......saying that it didn't sound like they were questioning the girl . Sounds like they were there for her mother who is responsible for the girl welfare which includes over due library books.............. the officer should have ask the little girl to leave the room not to upset her, thats is way i would love to read the report. It is a civil matter and the public in the whole can fight this department policy at city hall...........in short from what little i know on this yes the police can respond to it.....as possible theft .......Is it a moral or right thing to do to the community they serve, to do it this way i say no .. :twocents:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Conduct yourself as a responsible parent and it won't happen. Raise your kids to respect other people's property and it won't happen. It is excessive that the library is not able to get their things back without sending the police because the parents don't respond to letters and phone calls to turn it back in. Never is the professionalism of the officer questioned. I'm sure if he threatened to arrest the kid, the parent would have pointed that out. No matter how you slice it, the situation could have been easily avoided by the parents.

And referring to me and my profession as the Gestapo shows how you already feel about us. I know, we are the bad guy to people who think their freedom trumps anyone else's rights.

So is it your mother or your sister who's a librarian? Your wife?

You're reaching and reaching far. Parents should have returned the books. We live in an imperfect world. Most people consider the nickel per day or more sufficient deterrent to would be book thieves. If not, after so many days, generally libraries require a purchase cost to replace them, so they won't have to suffer financial burden due to stolen property. Calling in the police is such absurd overkill that I find it patently bizarre that you're bothering to support the use of police for such a minor delinquency at all, much more surprising that you defend this so vehemently.

Raising children to be responsible, book returning members of society? Absolutely fine. I support that 100%. Sending uniformed adult members of a law enforcement agency who routinely carry weapons in the line of duty to the home of a mother with child for no greater "crime" than failure to return overdue library books? Absolutely not fine. Not okay, not acceptable, not permissible. Overreach and overreaction. Part and parcel not acceptable in a free Republic. Not knowing the length of time of delinquency of the books, it may not even qualify as conversion, or maybe not even your supposed felony by borrower claim (citation needed on that). And no, you're not the bad guy. You're the good guy. When you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, instead of intimidating five year old girls with a badge, a frown, and a weapon. Since when are the police the private army of the State? Never.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    !

Or the parents could return library property. I can't believe no one has brought up the $100 in audio book late fees the dad had. It sounds like borrowing / stealing from the library was a family affair.

Problem with small claims court is that it costs time and money to file a claim. We had to sue a former renter about 5 years ago & it was $90 to file the small claim. He was made to repay the filing fee but it was a pain to do and it took time. Ours & the courts. Whereas Leo knocking on the door solved the problem quickly and no one had to go to court.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I don't see the problem. LEO's are charged with enforcing the law. That's what they did whether it was enjoyable or not. The parents were thieves. It doesn't matter if it was a book or a computer. This wasn't just a little oversight. They had a history of not returning things. I say the library did right.

But state law does outline a misdemeanor for such things, and police thought a friendly reminder might make a better impression and get better results than a cold summons to court.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    So is it your mother or your sister who's a librarian? Your wife?

You're reaching and reaching far. Parents should have returned the books. We live in an imperfect world. Most people consider the nickel per day or more sufficient deterrent to would be book thieves. If not, after so many days, generally libraries require a purchase cost to replace them, so they won't have to suffer financial burden due to stolen property. Calling in the police is such absurd overkill that I find it patently bizarre that you're bothering to support the use of police for such a minor delinquency at all, much more surprising that you defend this so vehemently.

Raising children to be responsible, book returning members of society? Absolutely fine. I support that 100%. Sending uniformed adult members of a law enforcement agency who routinely carry weapons in the line of duty to the home of a mother with child for no greater "crime" than failure to return overdue library books? Absolutely not fine. Not okay, not acceptable, not permissible. Overreach and overreaction. Part and parcel not acceptable in a free Republic. Not knowing the length of time of delinquency of the books, it may not even qualify as conversion, or maybe not even your supposed felony by borrower claim (citation needed on that). And no, you're not the bad guy. You're the good guy. When you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, instead of intimidating five year old girls with a badge, a frown, and a weapon. Since when are the police the private army of the State? Never.

Show me the "intimidation" in the article. The officer showing up with (gasp!!!) a gun on his hip and trying to have a conversation with the mother about returning books? I was a typical child and got into trouble. Officers had words with me more than once, never resulting in charges but still scaring the crap out of me. You know what scared me even more and shaped me into the man I am today? Knowing the the officer had nothing on me compared to my parents. When I screwed up, officers, teachers, babysitters, coaches, were always right and I was always held responsible for my actions. When my mother was pulled over for running a stop sign, it was not the officer's fault, it was her's and she admitted it to my siblings and I. I fail to see the big issues here. Another poster stated that in his opinion, this was wrong. I won't argue with that. I will argue every time when someone states that enforcing the law is not the job of a law enforcement officer.

When is theft acceptable?

Top Bottom