• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm not criticizing the officers' attempt to take this subject into custody nor their right to defend themselves. What really disturbs me is the "spray and pray" actions when employing their sidearms. What's going on with these officers? I'm sure that they were never trained to do a mag dump. Did they ever learn to use basic fundamentals of marksmanship when engaging a threat at a distance? https://www.wlky.com/article/shawnee-park-shooting-lmpd-body-cam-videos-louisville/40667349#

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`ve never been shot at, much less hit, even if "only" hit on the body armor. From that distance, and while being shot at, I can only try to imagine the adrenalin dump, and that doesn`t aid in accuracy.

I was glad to see them quickly render aid to the perpetrator. I would think that would be hard to do, help someone who had just been trying to kill you.

As far as the disturbance from the crowd...I`m just going to leave that alone. It would only get me in trouble to go down that path...

Last edited:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Nothing to see here folks, move along, typical day.
    Bad guy shoots cop, cops shoot bad guy, cops save bad guy's life, crowd shows displeasure, bad guy was turning life around because this was the last police involved shooting he was going to initiate.
    I bet not one person in the angry crowd was upset enough to leave the cookout early.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    The perp could have prevented the first shot. He was still a threat so they kept shooting. Should they have let him run off? I'm sure the fine people of Louisville have their own opinions.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have read other research on many years of 'gun battles', many of them officer involved, that indicated that the number of rounds fired was often the number of rounds available. This varied from six in the days where revolvers were more common to 12 to 17 when semi-autos became dominant

It makes sense to me if you cannot see precisely where the rounds are impacting and the subject is not yet going down, you're going to 'flood the zone'

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    It makes sense to me if you cannot see precisely where the rounds are impacting and the subject is not yet going down, you're going to 'flood the zone'
    I understand the logically fallacy, but truthfully, if you're missing the target does more of that behavior seem appropriate? Or would better marksmanship increase the odds of success?

I'm always stunned at the public's perception of LEO marksmanship. Sure, some of them are excellent marksmen. There's also a significant percentage that aren't, and far more that do not have any concept of the increased difficulty between 15y shots and 30y+ shots. That's not even accounting for shooting a moving target, on the move at those distances. The hit:miss ratio here proves the point.

Looks like a job for a shotgun, but those seem to have fallen out of favor over the years.
    I'd have liked a long gun here, but the initial response didn't call for one.
    Something about the best tool being the one you have on you...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not criticizing the officers' attempt to take this subject into custody nor their right to defend themselves. What really disturbs me is the "spray and pray" actions when employing their sidearms. What's going on with these officers? I'm sure that they were never trained to do a mag dump. Did they ever learn to use basic fundamentals of marksmanship when engaging a threat at a distance? https://www.wlky.com/article/shawnee-park-shooting-lmpd-body-cam-videos-louisville/40667349#
    Spray and pray was never taught in the academy or any other training I took.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The reality of high cap, light trigger, shootable modern 9mms is that people under adrenaline dump slap that trigger until the gun stops shooting. They don't aim, they don't double tap and reassess, they just hose. This is the reality for marginally trained cops and untrained criminals/civilians alike. When the guns make it easier to shoot more, people shoot more.

This has been true since the migration from flintlock to percussion, percussion to cartridge, cartridge to bolt action, etc.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Adrenalin dump results in the trigger being ran like a sewing machine in a certain percentage of instances. Learning fundamentals of marksmanship is important but does not overcome that aspect of a real world event. Simunitions and, to a lesser extent, competition shooting is about as good as you can do until the real event.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Definitely a Need for add'l marksmanship Training here.
    BTW, this Perp-Hebert Lee: In 2008, at age 16, Lee was fleeing from police when he crashed a stolen car, killing four teenagers who had been told to ride home with him after a youth event.
    In 2014, Lee pleaded guilty to leading police on another chase in another stolen car.

Source:
    https://www.wdrb.com/news/louisvill...cle_0e484c58-2310-11e9-981e-1fe62c0b0f2d.html

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

According to the news he was convicted on 4 counts of manslaughter and was out after just 1 year. How Is killing 4 people no longer a big deal?
    Stole a car, crashed it in a high speed chase, killed 4 people.

The police should have shot more and aimed better.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I think most cops would agree that more training is needed and from what I've been told that tends to the the last thing administrations want to spend money on.. I've never been shot at but I doubt you can have enough training to completely overcome the physical and psychological forces involved with dodging bullets but extensive training would help.

Top Bottom