Police Pursuit ending at Notre Dame University.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    UPDATE: Police name suspect in chase that ended on Notre Dame campus | Local - WSBT.com

For those of you who don't remember or personally keep track of me (SHAME ON YOU!), you may not know that I happen to work at the power plant in one of the more prestigious universities in northern Indiana. Yesterday, we had an incident where a police pursuit ended less than 200 yards from where I was working.

The man in the incident was released from jail a few weeks ago and already had a warrant against him for violating a protection order. Police attempted to serve the warrant and it ended up in a high speed chase. Officers ended the chase and let him get away. They picked up his trail later on, and attempted to arrest him at his home. He then led them on a foot chase, where he barged into a lady's home and stole her SUV. Crashing through the garage door he then led police on a high speed chase down the north end of Notre Dame campus where he rolled the SUV over completely and continued speeding away. He ditched the vehicle at the Hesberg library and fled on foot pursued by a local detective. He also unsuccessfully attempted to carjack a delivery truck. He ended up jumping into one of the lakes near the power plant where he claimed to have a gun. After about 30 minutes, he was coaxed out of the water. No gun was found.

After the event at the library, a campus alert was partially carried out. The warning alarm sounded, but no announcement was immediately made. As far as I can tell, no announcement came out until after the suspect jumped into the lake. That announcement was made over campus loud speakers by I don't know who. The supervisors here are unsure as well. Another announcement was made when the suspect was taken into custody to continue lockdown.

None of the lockdown announcements were heard in the power plant. The first actual notification that an incident was occurring, is when the wife of one of the workers here called our control room after hearing of the incident on the news.

The university has an emergency alert system that has loudspeakers, internal phone alerts, and mass text messaging, as well as mass robocall. The alert system was only partially used and the procedure was not properly carried out. Most in the power plant were not aware until after the suspect was in custody.

The first awareness that I had of anything going on was somebody on the radio jokingly referring to setting Condition Zebra (Navy term for full ship lockdown). As a member of the safety team here, I am deeply concerned that were weren't notified. Concerns are being brought up the chain of command here.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Good thing that the majority of the students had gone home for the winter. Sounds like communication could do with some improvement. Is the lockdown properly announced only when it is confirmed that there is a firearm?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The university has an emergency alert system that has loudspeakers, internal phone alerts, and mass text messaging, as well as mass robocall. The alert system was only partially used and the procedure was not properly carried out. Most in the power plant were not aware until after the suspect was in custody.

Example number 9,987,434 of why when the SHTF you are on your own.

And this:
    ...and it ended up in a high speed chase. Officers ended the chase and let him get away. They picked up his trail later on, and attempted to arrest him at his home. He then led them on a foot chase, where he barged into a lady's home and stole her SUV. Crashing through the garage door he then led police on a high speed chase down the north end of Notre Dame campus where he rolled the SUV over completely and continued speeding away. He ditched the vehicle at the Hesberg library and fled on foot pursued by a local detective. He also unsuccessfully attempted to carjack a delivery truck. He ended up jumping into one of the lakes near the power plant where he claimed to have a gun.

I think I saw this movie...didn't it star Bruce Willis, or Sylvester Stallone, or Jean-Claude Van Damm, somebody like that?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Technology can only take you so far. At some point, real people have to follow emergency procedure. In my experience, few do, and of those, few do it correctly.

Alamo has it right: we should all plan for our own safety/protection. Reliance on "the system" is foolish at best.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    where he rolled the SUV over completely and continued speeding away.

Make and model please. In search of a SHTF vehicle and item #1 on my checklist is the ability to be rolled over completely and still be able to speed away.:laugh:

I have to account for the possibility that my wife may be driving and she has demonstrated the ability to roll vehicles. None were able to drive away.:rolleyes:

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    "He ended up jumping into one of the lakes near the power plant where he claimed to have a gun."

Another brilliant bad guy plan. "Let's see, South Bend in December...a lake...yes, that's it- I'll hide in the lake!!"

BG to cops- "Don't..(enter teeth chattering sound)..come any closer..(teeth sound, again)....I have a gun!" :rolleyes:

Seriously- glad you are OK.....fine tune that SOP for campus alert protocol ASAP.

Top Bottom