• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hmmm. Saw that the Hot Rod Super Nationals started in Ohio. Then in Indianapolis for 3 years then back to Ohio in 1987. I couldn't find anything that mentioned the reason to go from Ohio to Indy and Back to Ohio. Was IPD (not IMPD), Speedway Police, and Clermont Police heavy handed in the mid 80's? Most likely. Such as nearly ALL large city PD's were back then. Policing in those days at the height of the "Crack war" and pre Graham V Connor SCOTUS ruling, were heavy handed. You talked back to an officer you got hit in the face. "Choir practice" was common. Drinking on duty was normal. Graft, corruption, back alley justice, all "old school" police behavior. For the most part, the public didn't care. Maybe Indy did loose the Hot Rod Nationals because of something IPD or SPD did? Maybe not. But Indy is so busy with large conventions, events, that they are about to start a HUGE convention center expansion (pre-Covid). I find it hard to imagine that even with the promoters changing, name changing, several location changes, and movement in Hot Rod magazine, that the Hot Rod Nationals even remembers anything about 1986. If the events happened as alleged, I'm truly sorry. However, I see no proof that the events of 1986 are causing anything negative to Indy now. I think there might be 3 people on a department of 1700 that were on in 1986 and still working today. You are indeed holding a grudge. You might consider moving on. The rest of the world has.
    There was a group of idiots that seriously pushed the boundary's of safety and self control. This happened on the streets and the IPD interventions were harsh as they may well should have been.
    I was still a die hard street racer at the time and even I cringed when a few of those Bozo's cut loose. Our business cards and shop decals say ATP Racing. Thats "Assume The Position" so yes I am well aware of LEO's ability to rain on a parade. But I also know that not inviting the rain by your disregard is an option.

Our boy JH is on a 30 day time out. I post this here as to anybody that wants to join him can.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I think it is safe to say that the behavior described back in '86 was not exclusive to any one police department. That was happening all over the country back in those days. Things began to change with the times, and they continue to change.

What I see is people still bringing up examples of the past. But can we not recognize that policing, as a whole, has changed greatly? Yes, we still get instances of outliers. But show me what exactly IMPD has done that warrants change. I'm not opposed to change, but I don't like change just for the sake of it. We need to recognize that change can have negative consequences too.

I believe IMPD takes roughly 2 million 911 calls a year. If memory serves me correctly, IMPD had one "controversial" instance resulting from police action in 2020, and that was ruled justified when all the evidence was brought to light.

We should be having a discussion of how other departments can learn from that example. Indy has a glaring problem, and it isn't the police force. Talking about police reform is the easy fight right now. If we focus on how we can keep "reforming police" we can ignore the discussion of the 245 murders and sky rocketing violence.

Stop neutering the police. Start addressing the violence. Sometimes evil violence can only be met with righteous violence. It's not for the faint of heart. Sometimes police work is brutal, but that doesn't mean it's police brutality, or an abuse of power.

Top Bottom