• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    Did I miss something in the article or could this be another gun hating propaganda pieces.

Nowhere did I read that the suspect had a gun, so why is that even in the article?

Police Officer Shoots Man Armed With Knife in Brooklyn
    By AL BAKER and ANN FARMER

Published: June 12, 2010

A police officer shot and wounded a disabled man who was wielding a knife on a Brooklyn street after the man ignored orders to drop the weapon, shook off a blast of pepper spray and kept advancing, the police said on Saturday.
    The officer, who was in uniform, fired a single bullet that struck the man in the lower abdomen. A sergeant had first fired pepper spray in an attempt to defuse the encounter late Friday night, in a courtyard at 221 Linden Boulevard, between Rogers and Nostrand Avenues, in the East Flatbush neighborhood.
    “It didn’t work,” Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said Saturday. “He continued to come towards the officers.”
    The wounded man, identified by relatives as Stanley Cherenfant, 19, walks with a slight limp, and his right hand has been disabled since he suffered a stroke at birth, his family said.
    Mr. Kelly, who answered questions about the shooting after an appearance at an event in a Queens park, said the man’s disability, and how it might have colored the officers’ response, were among several factors under review. “He had some issues with his right arm,” Mr. Kelly said, adding, “Whether or not that was a factor, I simply don’t know.”
    The commissioner said because the shooting was still being reviewed, he could not yet say whether it was within departmental guidelines. The use of deadly physical force is permitted when there is an immediate risk of death or serious injury to a police officer or someone else.
    He said that an internal investigation had begun but that the officer who fired her weapon had yet to be interviewed, as is routine in such cases to comply with prosecutors’ wishes.
    Mr. Kelly could not cite the distance between the officer and Mr. Cherenfant when the shot was fired. But a man who identified himself as an uncle of Mr. Cherenfant’s, and who said he was a Chicago police officer, estimated the distance at six feet.
    The man, who declined to provide his name, said he had witnessed the episode and defended the officer. “He was mad,” the man said of his nephew. “She said, ‘Stop.’ She did her job.”
    The man said Mr. Cherenfant had been arguing with a cousin, who called 911 about 11:30 p.m. as the dispute escalated.
    Officers from the 67th Precinct who responded were told to look for a man in a yellow shirt armed with a gun. When they arrived, three officers immediately encountered a man who said he was being chased. Then, in a courtyard area surrounded by buildings, a man in a yellow shirt appeared, holding a kitchen knife with a six-inch blade. The man who said he was Mr. Cherenfant’s uncle added that Mr. Cherenfant had the knife in his left hand and was still directing his anger at the cousin as he faced the officer.
    The officer joined the force in July 2005 and it was her first on-duty shooting, the police said. She was not otherwise identified.
    Mr. Cherenfant fell to the sidewalk about 10 feet from the windows of his first-floor home.
    He was taken to Kings County Hospital Center, where he was listed in stable condition on Saturday, the police said. “They said that the bullet didn’t hurt anything,” said Mr. Cherenfant’s father, Stanley Rene, 50. “They said it’s in his back.”
    Mr. Rene, another of his sons and some neighbors were somewhat critical of the police response. Some said they were astonished that the police had shot a man with a disability. A neighbor named Anthony, who declined to give his last name, said he was unsure if Mr. Cherenfant had swung at the officer who shot him.
    Afterward, detectives did not locate a gun.
    Those who know Mr. Cherenfant said he was a conscientious young man who lived with his mother and other relatives and was pursuing a high school equivalency diploma.
    “Stanley is a nice youth, a nice kid,” said a neighbor, Rose Clarke, 52, who said he often helped her up and down the steps with a stroller.
    The police said Mr. Cherenfant was charged with four counts of menacing — one for each officer and one for the man he had been chasing — as well as one count of possession of a weapon

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Did I miss something in the article or could this be another gun hating propaganda pieces.

Nowhere did I read that the suspect had a gun, so why is that even in the article?

Police Officer Shoots Man Armed With Knife in Brooklyn
    By AL BAKER and ANN FARMER

Published: June 12, 2010

A police officer shot and wounded a disabled man who was wielding a knife on a Brooklyn street after the man ignored orders to drop the weapon, shook off a blast of pepper spray and kept advancing, the police said on Saturday.
    The officer, who was in uniform, fired a single bullet that struck the man in the lower abdomen. A sergeant had first fired pepper spray in an attempt to defuse the encounter late Friday night, in a courtyard at 221 Linden Boulevard, between Rogers and Nostrand Avenues, in the East Flatbush neighborhood.
    “It didn’t work,” Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said Saturday. “He continued to come towards the officers.”
    The wounded man, identified by relatives as Stanley Cherenfant, 19, walks with a slight limp, and his right hand has been disabled since he suffered a stroke at birth, his family said.
    Mr. Kelly, who answered questions about the shooting after an appearance at an event in a Queens park, said the man’s disability, and how it might have colored the officers’ response, were among several factors under review. “He had some issues with his right arm,” Mr. Kelly said, adding, “Whether or not that was a factor, I simply don’t know.”
    The commissioner said because the shooting was still being reviewed, he could not yet say whether it was within departmental guidelines. The use of deadly physical force is permitted when there is an immediate risk of death or serious injury to a police officer or someone else.
    He said that an internal investigation had begun but that the officer who fired her weapon had yet to be interviewed, as is routine in such cases to comply with prosecutors’ wishes.
    Mr. Kelly could not cite the distance between the officer and Mr. Cherenfant when the shot was fired. But a man who identified himself as an uncle of Mr. Cherenfant’s, and who said he was a Chicago police officer, estimated the distance at six feet.
    The man, who declined to provide his name, said he had witnessed the episode and defended the officer. “He was mad,” the man said of his nephew. “She said, ‘Stop.’ She did her job.”
    The man said Mr. Cherenfant had been arguing with a cousin, who called 911 about 11:30 p.m. as the dispute escalated.
    Officers from the 67th Precinct who responded were told to look for a man in a yellow shirt armed with a gun. When they arrived, three officers immediately encountered a man who said he was being chased. Then, in a courtyard area surrounded by buildings, a man in a yellow shirt appeared, holding a kitchen knife with a six-inch blade. The man who said he was Mr. Cherenfant’s uncle added that Mr. Cherenfant had the knife in his left hand and was still directing his anger at the cousin as he faced the officer.
    The officer joined the force in July 2005 and it was her first on-duty shooting, the police said. She was not otherwise identified.
    Mr. Cherenfant fell to the sidewalk about 10 feet from the windows of his first-floor home.
    He was taken to Kings County Hospital Center, where he was listed in stable condition on Saturday, the police said. “They said that the bullet didn’t hurt anything,” said Mr. Cherenfant’s father, Stanley Rene, 50. “They said it’s in his back.”
    Mr. Rene, another of his sons and some neighbors were somewhat critical of the police response. Some said they were astonished that the police had shot a man with a disability. A neighbor named Anthony, who declined to give his last name, said he was unsure if Mr. Cherenfant had swung at the officer who shot him.
    Afterward, detectives did not locate a gun.
    Those who know Mr. Cherenfant said he was a conscientious young man who lived with his mother and other relatives and was pursuing a high school equivalency diploma.
    “Stanley is a nice youth, a nice kid,” said a neighbor, Rose Clarke, 52, who said he often helped her up and down the steps with a stroller.
    The police said Mr. Cherenfant was charged with four counts of menacing — one for each officer and one for the man he had been chasing — as well as one count of possession of a weapon

Perhaps because of that line?

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Sounds like the officer was forced to defend herself. Unfortunately in many "communities", no matter what the police do they are always wrong.

If a "bad guy" with a 6 inch blade is within 6 feet of me and not responding to commands to "STOP", they are gonna get shot. 6 feet is within my "life feeling threatened" zone.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Still a good read, though. This line really irritates me, though:
    Some said they were astonished that the police had shot a man with a disability.

Did the responding officers KNOW he had a disability? Was it that readily apparent? Even if it was, and he was advancing toward the officer with a knife in his hand, what's to say his lack of motor control wouldn't have hurt the officer? Should she have let him "accidentally" hurt her, potentially fatally, instead?

I have epilepsy. I know what it's like to have an "invisible" disability. I can be quite stubborn in my reboot phase after a seizure. If you don't know my medical history, and you didn't know that I'd just had a seizure, why should I blame you for defending yourself from my belligerence? Unfortunately, I think that's where our society is these days. No personal responsibility or accountability.

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    Agree with Pami seems like everyone can be a monday morning quarterback. Does anyone physical or mental capabilities matter when you are being threatened.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sounds like the officer was forced to defend herself. Unfortunately in many "communities", no matter what the police do they are always wrong.

If a "bad guy" with a 6 inch blade is within 6 feet of me and not responding to commands to "STOP", they are gonna get shot. 6 feet is within my "life feeling threatened" zone.

Not just the police, but anyone whom decides that their life is threatened.

6 feet? I know you meant 21 feet. Thats distance is 2 seconds or so for one to draw their weapon and stop an attack.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Regardless of the reasons this story was worded like it was, sometimes guns really ARE blamed when they aren't even present.

Here's a story about a knife wielding maniac who was shot by an off duty cop. Take note of the end of the screen shot article: "The woman and Singh were rushed to the hospital, as was the GUNMAN."
    ...according to the rest of the story, there was no gun.

gunblame.jpg

Whole article here

Last edited:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Regardless of the reasons this story was worded like it was, sometimes guns really ARE blamed when they aren't even present.

Here's a story about a knife wielding maniac who was shot by an off duty cop. Take note of the end of the screen shot article: "The woman and Singh were rushed to the hospital, as was the GUNMAN."
    ...according to the rest of the story, there was no gun........

C'mon Annie, you know as well as I do that civilian firearms were responsible for not just this incident, but for the September 11th attacks, the Oklahoma City bombing, the Unibomber attacks, Animal attacks, Jack the Ripper, Charlie's Angels, kids getting into scuffles on the playground, and whole sordid number of other socially unacceptable behaviors.

Top Bottom