• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The CZ 82 is a bigger firearm than the P64.

The P64 is a BEAR to shoot. It's a handful and a half. DA trigger pull approaching 20lbs. SA trigger was pretty smooth. Kind of long travel, but smooth. Aftermarket PPS/K main springs can really help the DA trigger pull.

Ergonomics suck, too. That thing hurts to shoot. Beauty to look at though... The one I had was pretty accurate, too, for an itty bitty gun.

I've not shot the CZ, but I know plenty of folks around who have. Hardly a bad thing to say about it. Pretty accurate, too. They do have polygonal rifling, though, so lead bullets are generally a no-no.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the CZ based on my prior experience with the P64.

-J-

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    The CZ 82 is a bigger firearm than the P64.

The P64 is a BEAR to shoot. It's a handful and a half. DA trigger pull approaching 20lbs. SA trigger was pretty smooth. Kind of long travel, but smooth. Aftermarket PPS/K main springs can really help the DA trigger pull.

Ergonomics suck, too. That thing hurts to shoot. Beauty to look at though... The one I had was pretty accurate, too, for an itty bitty gun.

I've not shot the CZ, but I know plenty of folks around who have. Hardly a bad thing to say about it. Pretty accurate, too. They do have polygonal rifling, though, so lead bullets are generally a no-no.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the CZ based on my prior experience with the P64.

-J-

I'm looking for a CZ. Can you make some ammo recommendations?

DerFreischutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Lafayette/Fort Wayne
    Other than the larger magazine capacity of the CZ 82, is there a lot of difference between this gun and the P-83 or P-64 Radom pistols?

As you mention, the CZ wins the magazine capacity by a factor of 2, but this does mean it's wider. While I don't own a P-64, I do have a Hungarian PA-63, which is another single stack pistol in 9x18mm. The width is first thing I notice when I pick up the CZ-82. That said, I find both acceptably comfortable.

As far as other differences go, there are some things like a (lack of) slide release and the location of the magazine release, but a difference that could sway you one way or the other would be how you would want to carry your pistol. The P-64 would allow you to carry hammer down, safety on or off. The CZ-82 is either hammer down, no safety, or "cocked-and-locked". I've read (not confirmed anywhere) that the latter is officially just for range uses (i.e., you set the pistol down to check a target.) Basically, the controls on the CZ-82 are like an ambidextrous 1911, just no grip safety.

With regard to ammo, I have used all the different Makarov ammo that Aimsurplus sells in the CZ-82 with no issue.

luckee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    NWI
    Any surplus ammo should be fine. I mainly use brown bear which is a little dirty but great for the range.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I had this talk with a freind last night, the P-64 has a slide mounted safety, and terrible sights.

The CZ-82 and CZ-83 mags are interchangable, and cz stil makes them, which means mags will not be an issue for a long time,

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I own both. I carry the P-64 daily, and consider the CZ-82 my truck gun.

As previously mentioned, recoil on the P-64 is stout for the size of the cartridge and gun. I do not shoot it for fun anymore, but enough to stay proficient with it. I put a Wolff spring kit into it, which made the DA trigger much more acceptable to use, and helped with the recoil somewhat. Others have said they use a Hand-all grip (?) and that helps more.

The CZ is a larger gun, compared to the P-64. I don't carry it because I prefer IWB, and it does not fit. Shooting the CZ is still fun, I have 5 mags and it is no issue to run thru all of them at once, and keep going.

I mainly use Wolf, Brown Bear and Silver Bear ammo, for the range and I carry Corbon Pow'r Ball in the P-64. Reading other people's research convinces me that the P-64 should not use anything larger than the 94gr bullets, and that most hollow points will not feed properly in the P-64. I have had no issues with larger bullets or hollow points in the CZ, however.

cz82andp64.jpg

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I owned a P64; great little gun. Super accurate for its size, easy to conceal, cheap ammunition....I only sold it to finance other larger purchases. Like all gun sales, I of course regretted it later. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them, really.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Other than the larger magazine capacity of the CZ 82, is there a lot of difference between this gun and the P-83 or P-64 Radom pistols?

I ended up winning a CZ 82 in an auction today. I'll let you know what I think of it after it shows up.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I have a CZ 82 and I absolutely love it. Fun gun to shoot and fairly inexpensive (gun and ammo if you buy surplus). I shot Sellier & Bellot 95gr (was $15/50). I really like 9x18 so I'll most likely end up with the Radom and a few others that shoot 9x18.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I have a CZ 82 and I absolutely love it. Fun gun to shoot and fairly inexpensive (gun and ammo if you buy surplus). I shot Sellier & Bellot 95gr (was $15/50). I really like 9x18 so I'll most likely end up with the Radom and a few others that shoot 9x18.

How would you compare the round to a 380 and 9mm parabellum?

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County

I don't have any first hand experience, but I've been looking at these also, primarily due to the cost of the ammo. Everything I've read , puts it fairly in the middle. (better than a 380, but not as good as a 9) Either way, for the price of the gun and the ammo, I think it would be a decent carry, a great plinker, or a must have shtf weapon. Ammoman has a 1000 round case, delivered, for $229.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I don't have any first hand experience, but I've been looking at these also, primarily due to the cost of the ammo. Everything I've read , puts it fairly in the middle. (better than a 380, but not as good as a 9) Either way, for the price of the gun and the ammo, I think it would be a decent carry, a great plinker, or a must have shtf weapon. Ammoman has a 1000 round case, delivered, for $229.

Thanks for the info... And the price lead!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Thanks for all the info! Sounds like the CZ would be preferable all around.
    CZ=WIN i own both (and i have a east german mak) both function flawlessly, both tear down the same way, but the CZ is a real joy to shoot its comfortable groups very well and smooth trigger unlike the p64

the 9mak is right in the middle! all 3 rounds are 9mm 380 is 9x17 9 mak is 9x18 and 9parabellum is 9x19

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I haven't shot much 9mm and haven't shot .380 but from everything I've read, I would agree with Whosyer. The 9mm I've shot has been mostly through a Tec 9 and an MP5SD so there wouldn't really be a fair comparison.

Trigger is smooth and groups well. Easy to put a follow up shot where you want. I haven't shot Silver Bear but I've read that the Silver Bear 94gr. is pretty good and it looks to be right around $210/1000 for HP.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have both. I love both. The P-64 is a bit snappier and you definitely don't want to use the "push-pull" method as it will eat up your off hand. The P-64 is amazingly accurate at self defense ranges and I have never had an issue with it. The CZ 82 is a much more comfortable gun to shoot. It has better ergos and sights. It also has better accuracy than I thought it would. I bought 500 rounds of Silver Bear FMJ for $114 including shipping from Military Shooters. I also bought two boxes of Silver Bear HP. If you stick with eastern European ammo (Brown Bear, Silver Bear, S&B, Fiocchi) you should be fine. I love both these guns. One is my everyday BUG/pocket gun, the other is in the HD gun rotation and sometimes gets carried CC. I paid $200 for the P-64 and $260 for the CZ-82 which had already been duracoated. Dollar for dollar they might be the best buys I have made in handguns. YMMV but these are really fantastic guns. Enjoy.

Top Bottom