• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Has arming yourself with a handgun affected your training in other forms of SD?

• Total voters

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I was thinking about my personal security the other day and I noticed that I end up thinking about when I would need to use my firearm. Then I realized that I don't think about my hand to hand fighting skills as much anymore, and THEN I realized I have stopped working out as much!!

I am going to get back in the old habbits because I think being well rounded in ALL types of SD would is best, but has anyone else fallen into this mindset?

Just curious.

(also I know the poll questions are extremes and there are many in-betweens but answer the closest you can)

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    its always good to know how to use hand to hand sd. you never know you gun may get knocked away or you may need ti knock theres away. not only that your idea of when you need to use deadly force on someone i do beleave is alot dif if you cant use hand to hand , would think they would be quicker to shoot.

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    To be completely honest, I've never trained in any form of SD not related to guns. However, I do take good care of my body. Hopefully, if it ever came down to it, I could rely on my strength and conditioning as a crutch to my lack of hand-to-hand training. Though I know that 90% of the time training is greater than brute force...

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    To be completely honest, I've never trained in any form of SD not related to guns. However, I do take good care of my body. Hopefully, if it ever came down to it, I could rely on my strength and conditioning as a crutch to my lack of hand-to-hand training. Though I know that 90% of the time training is greater than brute force...

Training is king, far and away. Skills are perishable and there is only one way to form muscle memory.

I train in firearms almost exclusively. Which is why I'd never try and fight with a knife, what skills I had over a decade ago are long gone. I rarely practice any hand to hand or CQCM but some of those skills are so ingrained and simple it's not as crucial IMO. That said, I need to get back into it and if there was a Krav Maga nearby I'd be doing that, not that I'm skilled in the form, but it's the only commercially available practical fighting act that is truly available in the US. I need to hit up some friends and start regular practice again.

So yes, carrying a handgun has changed my SD and not for the better.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I studied Taekwondo for about two years, when I was younger. My Sensei and his family wound up moving, not to long after I made Black Belt. The schools in town, cost more then I care to spend. Plus the one is a joke to begin with. I would love to get back into it. I still remember all my techniques. I'm still confident, that I could defend myself. Rather it it's hand to hand, with a knife, or my sidearm.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    One of the problems with this poll is that it does not take into account the reason many folks carry. For example, many folks have limited ability to defend themselves with hand to hand combat and are unable to intensively train in many things. Us older guys may have heart problems, we may have weight problems, we may have degenerative bone diseases, etc. I personally have severe rheumatoid arthritis, I was diagnosed when I was 22 years old and am pushing 50 now, if I were to throw a punch I'd be on the ground in pain if I came in contact with an assailant. Ask me to shoot a full power gun offhand and I'll be asking for you to go rob a pharmacy and get me some vicatin for the pain I'll be in for the next week or two.

I can manage well with my dominant hand, shoot low recoil arms all day long, but even a 45acp will give me problems after a long range session.

So I carry a gun because I don't have much other choice for defense, it has not changed my training since it is my only practical training other than the fact that I still plan to pee on myself, act crazy and scream like a little girl as I run away in a zig-zag pattern.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I train with my gun as much as I can now. At home I have my own personal gym. So I lift and box every night. I'm confident that I can hold my own.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I knew when I created it that the poll choices were not the best I could come up with, but I was limited on time and trying to get my post put up before the computer lab class started and I got in trouble for foruming instead of doing my lab work. :)

Thanks to all that replied and for your candor.

I'd do some INGO fight club if we could find a way to train that way. :)

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I train primarily with my firearm. I have some limited training in defense with my fists, and limited training in defense with a knife. I have educated myself on the proper way to use pepper spray type defenses, but I never liked carrying it after my teenage cousin sprayed some in the house. After that incident I didnt feel comfortable with it. To much potential to screw me over as well. I know there is foam type spray, and I have been considering picking some up. I want to train more, I just havent.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I'm old, fat, lazy, horrible negotiator, tons of medical problems, and my eyesight is fading.... this is why I carry a handgun, it is afterall the great equalizer.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I started carrying after I was injured pretty bad in a crotch rocket accident.
    I am still fairly springy, but definatly don't get around like I used to.

:n00b:--- my post 666...

trad78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Griffith
    I train with my pistol, but also in Filipino boxing, western boxing, Kali (stick fighting), and knife fighting. Also started going to the gym.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    As stated by melensdad.......

"So I carry a gun because I don't have much other choice for defense, it has not changed my training since it is my only practical training other than the fact that I still plan to pee on myself, act crazy and scream like a little girl as I run away in a zig-zag pattern."__________________

Folks, there is an honest man if there ever was one.........

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Wore out!

I am 61 years old and have already had two heart attacks and cosequent stent emplacements. Too young to die and to old to take an a.. whip'n, so I'll just have to shoot ya! :) Have a nice day!

Top Bottom