• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Does loss of 2A rights help keep you from committing a felony.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I had a dream last night that I was caught red handed in the commission of a felony. I was horrified that when convicted I would lose my second amendment rights.

Does the loss of your 2A rights in any way help to restrain your baser side?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I had a dream last night that I was caught red handed in the commission of a felony. I was horrified that when convicted I would lose my second amendment rights.

Does the loss of your 2A rights in any way help to restrain your baser side?

(Semantic Note: you did _not_ ask if the "thought" of losing your 2A rights "deters" your baser side...you asked if "losing" them restrains you, meaning after conviction).

So, with that covered, and given the fact that the recidivism rate is so high, the answer for "most" criminals is probably: No, felons will always be able to get guns somehow, and too many will probably become repeat offenders. But - that's precisely why the "authorities" would say they want to take those rights away from felons: because they've shown an inability to restrain their "baser" side.

If you were previously convicted of holding up a bank, the state does not want to give you a "proceed" when you walk into Don's to get that pearl-handled fotay.

This is pretty basic stuff.

(How you ask the question really matters. I think based on your Scrooge Christmas-Dream analogy, you may have been trying to make a point about deterrence...but it's just not what you actually asked in the poll, so it will probably be skewed).

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Sorry about the ambiguity of the questions, I'm not a professional pollster and was not trying to skew the results.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    'Loss of 2nd Amendment rights' has nothing to do with it.

I don't commit felonies because I've chosen not to pursue that path.

JMO, but those who commit felonies aren't 'concerned' about their Constitutional rights in the first place. Nor are they concerned with the rights of others. That's WHY they commit felonies in the first place: 'entitlement'.

In fairness (and as a note) to the OP, it's quite difficult to construct a survey question that is not skewed toward obtaining a particular result. This is why MOST surveys and survey questions are 'suspect'. MOST often, the survey tends to be written to support a pre-conceived notion or agenda, rather than obtain an unbiased perspective.

SOME times, this isn't even intentional. It's quite difficult and requires considerable thought (and often, numerous re-writing / re-wording) to construct a survey question or questions so it (they) do not produce the 'desired' (whether intended or not) result.

While it IS possible to do so, in personal experience I've yet to find any study or survey that isn't biased toward the 'answer' the author sought.

This is why studies and surveys should always be taken with a huge block of salt.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Lol, is there such thing in modern (post 1980) society, as a "good felony"
    Yes, of course.

Even as simple as Murder. I'd have to search a bit, but didn't some younger man/boy recently shoot his abusive father, and not exactly in "self defense" as defined by statute? And the whole town is supporting this "murderer"?

As for the OP: No. I don't intend to commit a felony, regardless of what I might lose. And if I DID intend on committing a felony, I doubt the existence of a law against the act would be of any real concern.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This was actually a tad tongue in cheek. The felony I dreamed I was caught in was espionage. Having actually worked with very sensitive material in my military days I have to say that I would never knowingly compromise our country's safety.

After rereading the survey questions the one I would rephrase is number 5

When bacon is outlawed I'll be an outlaw.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    It is unfortunate that asking the question here is resulting in the answer to be very skewed. Reason being that almost all of us have chosen to be law abiding (I sure hope). Therefore the question of being convicted of a felony would result in us not having a firearm as it would be illegal.

I don't really think it matters to the lowlifes that commit felonies, as it is already illegal for them to carry the gun they are carrying to commit the next felony. Therefore if the question was phrased as: Do you think "The loss of second amendment rights affects the decision to commit a felony by a person with a criminal background", the answer would be much different.

It is obvious to me that criminals do not obey nor really care about the law! Therefore they will willfully disobey laws without restraint and will continue to do so until incarcerated. We have often discussed the fact that "Gun Free Zones" only results in honest people being unarmed. In fact they probably increase the chance that criminals will be armed, allowing them the opportunity to commit felonies without as much danger to themselves. I see no reason that fear of losing a "right" (that in most cases they already have lost) would have any bearing on them committing another felony.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I believe the United States Constitution, Amendment number 5, says that as a citizen of these United States of America, I do not have to answer your poll questions.:p

And besides that, nobody saw me do it!

Top Bottom