• Total voters

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    From post #1...

This is a picture of the gun as it sits right now. I really like the tiger stripe grips but why buy the same color? Then again they look cool.

photo_zps28d9d910.jpg

what color is the 1911??

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Be advised that the VZ grips are very abrasive. I wanted aggressive grips, but after a couple of mags through my Kimber and having to check to see if my palms were really bleeding, I took some 800 grit paper to them and whacked down the sharp edges. After that, awesome regardless which color you choose.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Be advised that the VZ grips are very abrasive. I wanted aggressive grips, but after a couple of mags through my Kimber and having to check to see if my palms were really bleeding, I took some 800 grit paper to them and whacked down the sharp edges. After that, awesome regardless which color you choose.

The Gatorbacks and slants are medium grippy. The gun needs something to give a bit of purchase, it is a 29 oz scandium framed gun. It is a handful with full power loads.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Awesome! What color is that exactly? Did you replace the trigger with a short one?​

If I remember the color is one of your options, black desert sand, just in the Operator II configuration.

The trigger is an STI short trigger, the former owner installed it.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Not sure your budget, but have you considered contacting West Virginia Wood Arts? They have a "Dragon Scale" that is a dream to carry / shoot full loads. I have three sets from them, a buddy has a set, plus JetGirl has a few sets... They have taken very good care of me.

Also, I voted on the Tiger Stripe

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ok I told everybody I would order the winning color and post the picture. Here it is as of this morning. After a bit of testing I decided to carry good old boring, standard pressure, 230 gr. non-bonded Golden Sabers. They shot good and I am pretty sure I can find a few more boxes at the store. The +P Federal HST and some of the zipped up XTP offerings were stout in an ultralight gun.

Grips are VZ GatorBacks, Color TigerStripe, I opted for the larger thumb scoop. Trigger is still a bit long but I don't seem to pull left as bad. The gun still wants to move around quite a bit compared to a full size 1911. That is the tradeoff for the size and weight advantage. Next project will probably be the sights since I miss seeing those little glowing dots on top of my dresser at night. It blows my mind Smith would produce what is supposed to be a light 1911 carry gun and not put night sights on it. My guess is that these guns are purchased, looked at and put in the safe far more often then carried.

758ddf0c-794c-4bc2-8672-f3ce0a82c64e_zpsb2175b00.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Looks good VERT. Hopefully it is more reliable than my Ruger.:(

Tell me what is wrong. Talk to the "God Father". :): Actually I would PM Churchmouse or CraigH

I have about 400 rounds through it. Only two malfunctions, but that was to be expected. Let me explain. I loaded up a bunch of different brands of ammo and some reloads. The reloads were a bunch of LSWC that were out of spec. Basically the lead built up in the dies and these particular cartridges had OAL that were either too short or long but still safe. I deliberately wanted to see what kind of garbage this thing would eat. What I learned is that LSWC can not be too long (unlike my Wilson which will digest anything provide it has enough powder in it) and that Wilson ETMs help greatly in feeding LSWC. The gun eats all factory loads so far. Also the large external extractor will actually rip a partially fed round out with a simple remedial action drill. Try that with other 1911s

Top Bottom