• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Yes, it's a completely random question considering the weather but I have a pool filter question. I want to put a pool down at my cabin but I will only be there on the weekends. Do I need to run the pool filter everyday or can I just start it in the morning/night when I get down there and would the water be safe to swim in?

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Probably wouldn't be any less safe to swim in than a dirty lake. It will however likely cloud up and form algae blooms if you only intend to run the pump/filter on weekends. Maybe I should just start all over and say it ain't likely you'll have the clear or close to clear water results you're probably seeking.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    EEe have a pool that is up in the summer. If you do not run the filter and stay on the Chems you will loose it.
    I will swim in icky lake water over a crappy cloudy pool.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My hot tub runs the filter several times a day on a timer. I check the chemicals every time I'm going to get in, and most often have to hit it with something, usually chlorine, but sometimes it's a couple of weeks between uses. It also has a cover. If you have a cover for your pool, you may be able to keep it not-too-far from palatable with a timer and a little better living through chemistry each week. You'll want fresh water each year.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Get a variable speed pump and an automatic chlorinator. Run at low speed while gone. Water should be fine. Shock it when you're leaving

by the way... I bet that's a sweet cabin :D

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I'd like add there's aprox two weeks every year that I really miss not having a pool; the other fifty weeks I'm glad it's now the ex-wife's problem........

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I never thought about using a timer on it. I just don't want to have a big electric bill with it when not using it. I plan on using a cover for it. I will look into variable speed pump and an automatic chlorinator. And Doc, you can come by whenever the polar express decides to go back north.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I never thought about using a timer on it. I just don't want to have a big electric bill with it when not using it. I plan on using a cover for it. I will look into variable speed pump and an automatic chlorinator. And Doc, you can come by whenever the polar express decides to go back north.

The bill depends on how big a pump/pool you have.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

No idea if it will work, but to throw out an idea. How about solar? Either on a timer with battery or just run when the sun is out. Cost a chunk for initial outlay but "free" after that.

Top Bottom