• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    ok other than making a pistol look friggin awesome, what type of things does porting the barrel(slide) on a pistol do for it? how does it help, and what does it help? thanks everyone.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    reduces recoil is why most people do it.

Not worth the drawbacks to the every day shooter though, and definitely not something you want to do to a HD/carry gun. Muzzle flash can also get pretty bad at night as well.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Don't do it to a carry gun. The flash is more prominent, the gasses are directed at your face if you have to fire from a retention position, and if you have to shoot in the dark your eyes will have to adjust after each shot.

Porting forces the gasses upward and fights muzzle rise, slightly. That's about it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    Why is it such a big business then if the overall recoil improvement is so slight? Is there an advantage to having it done to a hunting revolver like a S&W 460 which is now legal to deer hunt with? Something like being able to get back on target sooner? I can see that as a real advantage if it works.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    It would allow you to get back on target sooner, and is pretty common in high-quality target or competition pistols. Places where that extra quarter second saved acquiring the target after your shot really count.

However, from a practical standpoint, its harder to clean, harder to shoot from retention, and difficult to fire at night. All things that are important for a carry gun.

It has its place, though. :)

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    A good example IMO, is a guy has a Glock with a 357 Sig ported barrel and a 40 non ported. When you shoot them, the 40 rises higher than the 357 as the muzzle blast keeps the barrel from rising. I know it's non scientific, but it's pretty neat to try it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As far as porting on a carry gun, its not as bad as some make it out to be, though its not something that would look for specifically. I have, and carry, a springfield armory V-10 on occasion. As far as blinding you for any follow up shots, its not that bad. Of course, in pitch black darkness it does make for an impressive light show, but in any sort of light that a target can be reasonably identified, it has never affected my vision any worse than any of my other pistols. It will, in certain unconventional shooting positions, blow gas and hot lead at you, and this would be a drawback to consider. It does, however, make a bit of difference as far as follow up shots and staying on target, as I can get back on target as fast or faster with it as I can with my Government model.

Porting is a royal pain to clean in some pistols, others its not as bad, but still one more place for carbon and lead to build up.
    As far as porting in any hunting application, it does tend to make a gun louder, the effect being more pronounced as the cartridge pressures go up.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a Springfield Armory V12 (full sized). It now wears a non ported match grade barrel I hand fitted as well as a proper barrel bushing. In a full sized .45, follow up shots are pretty quick anyway, and I got tired of the ported barrel blowing dirt all over me. Of course cast lead bullet loads are even more dirty. I didn't like it the ports on the 500 S&W either. I have a nice O/U shotgun that was magnaported. I am pretty much done with ported. For my money, a ported barrel is a deal breaker.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I purchased a ported barrel for a Kahr K9. I took it to the range, shot a 100 rounds through it.. got home took it out.. I couldn't really tell much of any difference just slight, other than the brighter muzzle flash in my direction. :( so i took it out and placed it in a box.. hasn't really seen the light of day since.. and probably won't for another year when i feel i need to oil it.. again..

Look cool on the gun Sure. Reduce recoil.. sure a little bit.
    Functions yeap.

Functions for my needs and what i use the gun for? NO

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have 2 compensated Glocks and have never noticed any of the above "problems" with either. My 17C is my range pistol that gets a pretty good workout regularly. Guess I must be getting blind in my old age.;)
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

Top Bottom