• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I always have my DL and reg in hand with window rolled down by the time they make it to my window. They tend to like that. :)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    ^^This.

I decided a long time ago that as a default behavior, if I am pulled over and carrying, I will not inform other than in two circumstances. The first is that I am asked to exit the vehicle and I suspect the pistol would be found or seen. It seems to me that it's better that they know before they find it.
    The second, and far more likely, is if I'm asked for license and registration and will have to pass my hand over my gun to get to the wallet, with the same rationale:
    "Officer, my license to carry and my handgun are between my hand and the wallet. How would you like me to proceed?"

I'm not a threat to the officer and don't want to be perceived as one. I'm going to give him the choice. With that said, if I am being pulled over, most likely the wallet will be out so I don't have to put my hand near my gun with the officer present. I'll probably have my documents in hand when they get to the window.
    The converse to the sentence above in blue is that I also don't want to be disarmed as if I was some kind of violent criminal. If they don't know I have it, that's not likely.

Finally, these are my defaults, not absolutes. The circumstances of the moment may change my decisions regarding what information I give an officer as to whether I am carrying or not. The only absolute is that I won't lie to them.

Blessings,
    Bill
    I won't lie either.when asked if there's any weapons or drugs in the vehicle, I have told them "nothing illegal" when I had both guns AND drugs in the car.

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    In my neck of the woods ( Valpo, Porter county Indiana ) dispatch always informs LEO of a LTCH holder and even informs if pending, 4yr., or lifetime. I listen to the scanner in my garage and hear it all the time when I succumb to the nasty smoking addiction I am desperately trying to quit. I am forbidden to smoke in the house.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In my neck of the woods ( Valpo, Porter county Indiana ) dispatch always informs LEO of a LTCH holder and even informs if pending, 4yr., or lifetime. I listen to the scanner in my garage and hear it all the time when I succumb to the nasty smoking addiction I am desperately trying to quit. I am forbidden to smoke in the house.

I don't see that as an issue, unless that changes the way the officer handles the stop, at the detriment of the driver.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    In my youth I have been dragged from my car and thrown into the trash-lane for answering that question truthfully. That happened three times. Now for full disclosure, back then I looked just like John the Baptist. Nowadays I look more like Moses, and coincidentally Officers seem to be cut from finer cloth these days.

Still, once bitten twice shy. When pulled over the first thing I do is lock the door. Next I have my drivers license ready before he exits his car. If questioned about weapons, I obfuscate the question such as asking "Are you telling me that you pulled me over just to search me for a weapon?". By that time their concentration is broken and they get so "You will respect my authoritah!" that they usually forget all about guns.

You could still get thrown into a ditch but at least this way you will know what it was for.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In my youth I have been dragged from my car and thrown into the trash-lane for answering that question truthfully. That happened three times.

You must be pretty aerodynamic. Usually the side walk was about as far as I could toss someone. Well, I did throw a guy over a car once, but he kicked me and I was irritated with him. Oh, and I once had a wig come off in my hand mid-toss. Surprised the poo out of both of us.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It bears repeating, but it's hard to think of any other situation where you can catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar.
    Politeness and cooperation were both rewarded with a "be more careful next time and have a nice day."
    Some years ago, I received a warning when I very well could have gotten the now standard $100+ bill to the county seat, I think largely because I was equally cooperative (and justifiably embarrassed about my heavy foot).
    I had my S&W third gen auto (in its cheapo Uncle Mike's holster) still on the shotgun seat when he approached, so I gestured toward it with my head (yep, both hands on wheel) and handed him all appropriate ID.
    He returned a few minutes later, giving me the proper admonition, then complimented me on what a cool gun (yeah, I think so, too) that third gen S&W was, saying "Man, that thing is a hog!"

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I am left handed, carry lefty, but I keep my wallen on my right side and always have. Never thought of the situation you was in until now and am glad I do carry it there. I've had no issues with traffic stop (except for 1 dumpster dive incident with a rookie cop), I usually inform the officer even though I know I don't have to mainly because in my area there are a lot of young reserve officers that always seem nervous even though I'm known around here a little and open carry everywhere I go.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I am left handed, carry lefty, but I keep my wallen on my right side and always have. Never thought of the situation you was in until now and am glad I do carry it there. I've had no issues with traffic stop (except for 1 dumpster dive incident with a rookie cop), I usually inform the officer even though I know I don't have to mainly because in my area there are a lot of young reserve officers that always seem nervous even though I'm known around here a little and open carry everywhere I go.

Modoc has police officers?

Top Bottom